• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Issued Kit SMELLS

TDV_Valor

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi, I am a primary reservist. Going through some of the kit I was issued I realized my sleeping bag (the vinly tarp thats rain proof) and my tent tarp have an unbelievable stench that will not go. I have washed it twice in the washer and the smell remains as strong as it went in. They advised me to wash it, and it should get rid of the smell, however, it did not. What are my options currently? Should I go out and buy my own or will they let  me give it back in exchange for something that does not smell horrid?

Thanks,
TDV_Valor

Sounds like someone had put the items away while wet.

Best thing I can say is to just air it out.

BTW I hope you didn't throw the ground sheet in the washer and dryer as this will destroy the material.

EDITED TO ADD

Add a dryer sheet to the bivy bag and it might help masked the smell.......

If your shelter half smells like spew (vomit) thats the norm. Even the Aussie ones smell like that here  ;D

As for your SB, wash it inside out in hot water with soap, on a heavy duty cycle, then let it fluff in the dryer at med heat, using those fragrance things. that might help. This might have to be repeated.

I have used a CF outer SB for the past 14 yrs here, they wash well, and its never been an issue.

OWDU

I believe he was referring to his Biv Bag, not sleeping bag. Wash it with warm water and mild soap (by hand, not the washing machine) turn inside out and hang to dry.

OWDU, I'm almost postive that the sleeping bags where dry clean only. Have you had any problems of the down feathers clumping in the bag?

Clumping has never been an issue, the bag can be laundered, but the Q Store always dry cleans.

I let mine dry on the line, and in 35C hot sun, it takes a morning, to be as fluffy and odour free. However, I on occasion will also chuck it in the dryer.

If it is TDV's bivvy bag, there is washing instructions on the inside. Turn it inside out. A good warm wash on a low cycle, and to hang dry will do the trick. My ole CF Mustang Gortex bivvy bag has kept me dry on many a tropical rainstorm night in the J.

Regards,

OWDU

LOL  Whereas I think he means his ground sheet/shelter half (the "vinyl tarp that's rainproof"), because I too once had one that smelled like puke.

WTF are you talking about, TDV??   ;D

As for the ground sheet having a horrible smell, I got a new one right out of the bag/box and it smelled putrid. Think it has to do with the weather proofing material.

Your are going to have to get used to funky smelling kit.

There is also the "Field Expedient Dry Cleaning method", but it is not recommended to those who smoke or are careless with matches or open flame.  It would remove the smell in a sleeping bag.

However, on reading the original post, I have the feeling that it isn't the Sleeping Bag, but the Ground Sheet and Valise.  Those should simply take a good hot soapy wash and then be hung to dry completely.  I think most of the smell comes from the powder preservatives on some of the rubber products and the items not being stored in a ventilated manner.

It could be worse...the puke smell was never an issue with mine because I got it used from clothing stores, but the groundsheet was used as part of an improvised shelter on an ex way up north - under which we lit a fire to stay warm. The thing had an intense (and I mean INTENSE) smell of woodsmoke that you could smell even when it was packed away in the valise, and made my eyes teary when using it. I was all too happy to exchange it for a new, vomit-smelling one.

George Wallace said:
There is also the "Field Expedient Dry Cleaning method", but it is not recommended to those who smoke or are careless with matches or open flame.  It would remove the smell in a sleeping bag.

Just don't throw it in the dryer afterwards either......

TDV I would suggest that after you get the offending odour out  of you kit, put a dryer sheet at the bottom of your bivy bag, sleeping bag outer and inner.

NFLD Sapper said:
TDV I would suggest that after you get the offending odour out  of you kit, put a dryer sheet at the bottom of your bivy bag, sleeping bag outer and inner.

Put one in the pocket of your field cap too. Helps keep the skeeters and no seeums away. ;)

George,

That's best not even hinted at. Just keep it a trade secret and forget it before someone 'gets blowed up real good'.

recceguy said:
Put one in the pocket of your field cap too. Helps keep the skeeters and no seeums away. ;)

George,

That's best not even hinted at. Just keep it a trade secret and forget it before someone 'gets blowed up real good'.

Have to try that one out.....

My personal favorite is still my groundsheet. Whatever your ranger blanket or sleeping bag smells like, as long as you're under your groundsheet, it'll be like fresh air. I always wondered why my cat rolls around on my kit. He also rolls around on damp towels waiting for the laundry.

Long live the groundsheet!

Critters, ha!

If only one could have some type of a creepy crawlie repellant around here. I am sick and tired of freakly ants which bite and sting, centipedes with attitudes and huge spiders to match.

Its times like this I am NOW happy to be a part time army person  ;D

OWDU

George Wallace said:
On the plus side, doesn't the smell help to keep critters away?
I think it attracts the carrion eating ones.
My friends dog, who prefers sh!t and old roadkill over kibble loves to roll on my old kit  ;D

besides, at least is fresh stink. Nothing better than returning from your shift and hot-bunking into the next guys SB and getting the unmistakable whiff of the previous meals byproduct as you roll and squeeze the feathers that have trapped the pungent aroma.

enjoy
;D

Thanks. Yes I meant biv bag and ground sheet. For now I have thrown in out in the snow (its snowing where I'm at) since I won't be seeing any dry or hot weather it was just best to keep it out of the house.

Back