• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Is this the beginning of the end of the American empire?

Jammer

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
With the rise of the so called Tea Party, Patriot (private militia) Groups, and the whipping up of near open dissent of the
US Federal Government. Could this be the slow decent of the World's remaining Superpower?

All empires eventually come to an end.

I just don't think that it is easy to diagnostic when
said empire it still alive and kicking...

I have read that it started in 1980:
"Since that year, household debt has surged from $1 trillion to $14 trillion, while the savings rate has plunged from 12% to below 0%."

DECLINE AND FALL OF THE AMERICAN EMPIRE
by James Quinn

Zombies are next.  Time to stock up on zombie repellent:
zombie_repellent_the_shotgun_tshirt-p23508085218618274535jn_400.jpg

But, whither the US of A?  Fragmented state à la the old USSR?  New state?  China West?

We'll annex them and call them Southern Alberta!

Nah, they'll just take possession of their winter property north of the border, that'll distract all the gun nuts, and peace will reign once again.... ;D

I really don't think we need antything south of the Mason-Dixon Line

What, you don't like Epcot, Disney World, Mardi Gras, Padre Island, Corpus Christie, or miles and miles of warm sandy beaches?  I hereby claim Key West in the name of, well, me.

Technoviking said:
Zombies are next.  Time to stock up on zombie repellent:
zombie_repellent_the_shotgun_tshirt-p23508085218618274535jn_400.jpg

But, whither the US of A?  Fragmented state à la the old USSR?  New state?  China West?

Now yer talkin!!!

Jammer said:
I really don't think we need antything south of the Mason-Dixon Line

It's too much to hope for, but does that include Toronto?  :)

Considering some empires lasted for thousands of years, I don't think we will wake up tommorrow or in fifty years to "Holy smokes the US of A is gone!"

Kat Stevens said:
What, you don't like Epcot, Disney World, Mardi Gras, Padre Island, Corpus Christie, or miles and miles of warm sandy beaches?  I hereby claim Key West in the name of, well, me.
Not to mention sunny, jungle-y Puerto Rico!

I wouldn't worry so much about the decline of the US: I'd be more worried about what might take its place.

Oh, yeah- and those zombies, too.

Cheers

pbi said:
I wouldn't worry so much about the decline of the US: I'd be more worried about what might take its place.

Oh, yeah- and those zombies, too.

Cheers

Thank you. I concur is your assessment about what might take th USA's place.

And your point about the zombies.... >:D

ArmyRick said:
Considering some empires lasted for thousands of years, I don't think we will wake up tommorrow or in fifty years to "Holy smokes the US of A is gone!"

I would not be too sure of that nowadays.  Look at how fast the Soviet's and the Pact crumbled when it went down.  The Yanks have many irons in the fire and economically are stretched thin here and there.  When it comes, as it does to all Empires it might be in a flash and in our lifetimes as well.  I agree with MAS that it might be more frightening on what replaces it.

I agree with Jollyjacktar, it could happen quickly. My concern would also be who would replace it. With all the different terrorist organizations both within and outside the U.S. combined with the criminal element having an interest it would not be very pretty..

What about Canada? would we be in a position to survive such a threat to the U.S. and stand on our own, with our own democracy? Our economies and security are so dependant on each other..no?

What about Canada? would we be in a position to survive such a threat to the U.S. and stand on our own, with our own democracy? Our economies and security are so dependant on each other..no?

Yeah and moreover, would also the -perception- among the American policy makers that their "empire" is in peril prompt more hawkish measures vis-a-vis homeland security, trade protectionism, more military involvement in civilian affairs (not sure about this) and foreign policy (a more extreme with-us-or-against-us mentality)?
Personally, I see things getting a bit more tense...

Take the long view: http://www.newgeography.com/content/001408-americas-dubious-decline

On the other hand, as this administration signals weakness, others will try to move into the perceived power vacuum. The short term might well be tense.

Frankly, what is happening in the United States is happening as well to a lesser extent in Canada and Europe is different; the established order is being challenged by the people as they have few effective responses to post cold war challenges (and indeed many of the current problems can be placed squarely at their feet).  This can be interpreted as weakness as the various pillars to the establishment totter, in a very brittle society this might spell the end, America is a more flexible and open society, so might well renew itself.

Back