• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Is There Anything I Should Have But Won't Be Issued?

dangerboy said:
My advice don't buy anything until you have finished your trades training and are in a unit.  See what the other guys in your Section are using and then confirm with your Sect 2IC (or Comd) and they will be able to say what your unit's policy towards aftermarket kit is, and yes it does vary unit to unit (and sometimes sub-unit to sub-unit).  You don't want to waste your money buying something your can't wear or something you on't need (such as a 14" kukri).

As above. I have never seen anyone allowed to strap that size of a blade to their kit when I was in! Your source is a cadet or something!?

I agree with the majority of the comments already made. However, I do believe that a quality headlamp is invaluable.

I will also throw out that you should have a watch.  It likely will not be issued.

MC

Common sense.

And waterproof oversocks, in case you aren't issued any.

Bring a thick skin and a sense of humour, two indispensable pieces of kit.

MedCorps said:
I will also throw out that you should have a watch.  It likely will not be issued.

MC
With LOADS of recommendations here.

A 14" Kukri with a Timex Ironman embedded in the pommel.

Haha I still use the $10 timex i got from walmart the week before I went to BMQ, the velcro strap might not be stylish anymore though... Save your money till you get to your unit months and months from now. The guys and girls there will let you know what you should get. Good luck, keep your head up!

There is all sorts of jammy kit you could buy..... But then, you'd have to carry it in the field.

A decent "indiglow" tiimex watch, a small flashlight or headlamp are prolly the only field kit you need to buy.

In order to pass your daily room/ kit inspection, you might want to consider a second set of toiletries... One you use, the other you lay out for show. Instructors love to pounce on dirty razors, toothbrushes, and squeezed tubes of toothpaste.

They also love to pounce on the fact that you havent used said razor, toiletries and toothpaste.

Make sure to have a good boot brush and polishing cloth for your boots. A pair of womens nylons work great to polish those parades quickly before a parade or inspection.

Headlamp is super useful.  Wether you're trying to rummage through your kit in the field in the dark, do some late night sewing or folding for inspection after lights out, or even during the day time it comes in handy to shine extra light on your parade boots while polishing to show the blemishes and let you know where to work on - it's a valuable bit of kit. 

Personally, I'd buy a pretzel tactika, but that's just me.  Too many great features to ignore on the petzel to consider a cheaper one. 

Other than that, a sense of humour and a basic multitool with pliers come in handy.  Good luck. 

Privateer said:
And waterproof oversocks, in case you aren't issued any.

WTF is a waterproof sock?  If he means a goretex liner etc, ignore this advice.  The issue sock system is quite good.

Is There Anything I Should Have But Won't Be Issued?

Common sense.

Sadly, it's not standard issue, and at times there appears to be a critical shortfall throughout the system...

Wet wipes and bug spray for the field. If you ever find yourself in Shilo get yourself lots and lots of bug spray. Mosquitoes in Shilo are no joke.

Lean-N-Supreme said:
Wet wipes and bug spray for the field. If you ever find yourself in Shilo get yourself lots and lots of bug spray. Mosquitoes in Shilo are no joke.

Wise advice, Padowen learner.....

Common sense is indeed in short supply at all levels.

Lean-N-Supreme said:
If you ever find yourself in Shilo get yourself lots and lots of bug spray. Mosquitoes in Shilo are no joke.

The best part of those days, was just before dusk when the dragonflies got hungry. You could play Ride of the Valkyries, and thousands of them would come out to eat the mosquitoes and give 30 minutes of relief.

Lean-N-Supreme said:

Best piece of advice yet. Baby wipes are a must. When your going somewhere unknown or just starting a camp, showers can be few and far between.  I bathed in baby wipes for the first 2 weeks of my boots hitting thw ground until our showers were up. Nothing makes you feel better than a clean body.

Oh and hot sauce to spice up those mres's

Back