• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Is There Anything I Should Have But Won't Be Issued?

Mosullivan15

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I'm applying to the army and I've been wondering if there's anything I should have. I have heard various reccomendations, but the only source I have reccomended I buy a 14" Kukiri knife, so I'm questioning how relyable they are. Because of this, I figured I should ask the folks who did and find out what the voiceof experince can tell me. Is there anything that you think a soldier should have but won't be issued?

Are you applying to the the Brigade of Gurkhas?  Actually, don't answer that.

Do not buy a 14" kukri.  Also, consider not listening to that source ever again.

Dimsum said:
Are you applying to the the Brigade of Gurkhas?  Actually, don't answer that.

Do not buy a 14" kukri.  Also, consider not listening to that source ever again.

My reply was very similar. Since I'm not a Himalayan badass, and I want to be in the airbourne a giant knife seems like a great way to accidently impale myself. I'm not that kinky so I'm not going to. I figured I should ask y'all because you have practical knowledge, and my source is ... intersting.

My advice don't buy anything until you have finished your trades training and are in a unit.  See what the other guys in your Section are using and then confirm with your Sect 2IC (or Comd) and they will be able to say what your unit's policy towards aftermarket kit is, and yes it does vary unit to unit (and sometimes sub-unit to sub-unit).  You don't want to waste your money buying something your can't wear or something you on't need (such as a 14" kukri).

There is no need for a 14" knife. I have no clue why your friend would say buy one, but I can tell you most units will not allow it to be warn in uniform.

Being currently a Section Commander for PATs, I tell all my guys don't buy anything other then proper boots.  When you advance in your career you will learn what to buy and what not to. 

If your in the infantry, buy a stealth suit top.  Best investment Ive ever made.  Also, a Brit Army puffy is a very good investment once you're at your unit.

dangerboy said:
My advice don't buy anything until you have finished your trades training and are in a unit.  See what the other guys in your Section are using and then confirm with your Sect 2IC (or Comd) and they will be able to say what your unit's policy towards aftermarket kit is, and yes it does vary unit to unit (and sometimes sub-unit to sub-unit).  You don't want to waste your money buying something your can't wear or something you on't need (such as a 14" kukri).

This ^

Plus you'll get a bit of time in to figure out what you need or want.  Experiences will vary and so will tastes in what you think you want. 

Buy about 10 pounds of patrolling spirit to start.

If you want to be a paratrooper then buy a 3D printer so you can make yourself some new knees :)

Mosullivan15 said:
Hey folks,

I'm applying to the army and I've been wondering if there's anything I should have. I have heard various reccomendations, but the only source I have reccomended I buy a 14" Kukiri knife, so I'm questioning how relyable they are. Because of this, I figured I should ask the folks who did and find out what the voiceof experince can tell me. Is there anything that you think a soldier should have but won't be issued?

This source does realize that they issue a bayonet and a gerber?

Arty39 said:
This source does realize that they issue a bayonet and a gerber?

If I put thought into it, I'd probably say that this source doesn't realize much of anything.

Jarnhamar said:
Buy about 10 pounds of patrolling spirit to start.

If you want to be a paratrooper then buy a 3D printer so you can make yourself some new knees :)

I can't believe you guys.....what about a sense of humour? That's a must have!

Hamish Seggie said:
I can't believe you guys.....what about a sense of humour? That's a must have!

Comes rather cheap as well.  Renewable.  Versatile.  Comes in many forms. 

Everything you should have will be issued - well, at least should be issued and will be if the items are available and unrestricted when time comes for you to be issued kit.  At your stage in the game, don't go running out and buying stuff to be the super-soldier.  Most things that you may eventually acquire to supplement your issued kit will be to make you more comfortable.  Any fool can be uncomfortable in the field.  The number one important thing that I found necessary were boots and socks . . .  the two most important things that I found necessary were boots and socks and underwear . . . among the things that I found necessary were boots and socks and underwear (and a fanatical devotion to the pope).  Now, these items of issued kit have improved considerably (though boots seem to be open to discussion) since I spent my time playing silly bugggers in the days of grey wool socks and green boxers.  You want the parts covered by these items to be dry, warm (or cool depending on the weather), and free from blisters and irritation.  Only through personal experience will you figure out how to do that.

They won't issue it, but you might want to consider getting a toothbrush.

Seriously though, they supply a list of stuff like that you will need. Running shoes, shave kit, boot kit, etc.

So I have a question for you all. Out of all the kit I might be issued, what will I own and what is the government's?

Everything you are issued is the government's. Nearly all items will be returnable when you release or they wear out. Over a career certain items will not be returnable because they're 'next to skin' clothing (socks, gitch, t shirts, long underwear, etc.).

Brihard said:
Everything you are issued is the government's. Nearly all items will be returnable when you release or they wear out. Over a career certain items will not be returnable because they're 'next to skin' clothing (socks, gitch, t shirts, long underwear, etc.).

So I can't keep my fatigues?

In fact, anything in CADPAT, whether it's worn out or next to skin, must be returned.

Mosullivan15 said:
So I can't keep my fatigues?

As stated above, you don't get to keep the combat uniform(or anything CADPAT).

How ever, on release you are able to retain your dress uniform(DEU) and accoutrements. As well as any medals/ribbons you may have received.

Back