• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Is There Anything I Should Have But Won't Be Issued?

Leeworthy said:
Oh and hot sauce to spice up those mres's

Aarrgghh... not "mres's" (that doesn't even make sense... MREs) Canadians use "IMPs". And they are actually quite good IMO... some even DO come with hot sauce...

I lived on salmon with ms dash and sausage links with mustard in Haiti lol

A wife and family are good morale boosters but if the Army wanted you to have that they would have issued it to you.

The best piece of kit that the army doesn't give you is your brain.

Here are the steps to a successful career in the army without too much poo being flung your direction:

1) Keep your mouth shut - speak only if you need to and when told to speak. There's a time and place to tell jokes and goof off, learn where and when that is.

2) Be a sponge - absorb everything you're being taught, believe it or not you will use it all. Not only that, but absorb everything your instructors say, many of them will have a lot of experience and sometimes one of their smoke pit words of wisdom will help you big time down the road.

and last but easily the most important:

3) Ask for help - I have never been had anyone in the CAF ever give me shit for saying "Excuse me Corporal/Sergeant/etc. I don't quite understand this, I need some help." I have been given shit when I don't ask and something either wasn't done, or wasn't done correctly. We rather than people ask for help and learn than to not understand, get jacked up for being incomplete, not learning, and then later on getting someone or themselves hurt or killed when it could have been avoided.

LunchMeat said:
The best piece of kit that the army doesn't give you is your brain.

But to be fair, the army does test to see if you already have one before they will let you in. (CFAT)

The real best piece of kit that the army doesn't give you are boot-bands. They are widely available in Canex and online, and you will need them. And best of all they are inexpensive.

PPCLI Guy said:
WTF is a waterproof sock?  If he means a goretex liner etc, ignore this advice.  The issue sock system is quite good.

Yes, goretex sock, like this: http://www.mec.ca/product/4000-338/rocky-stretch-gore-tex-oversocks-unisex/

When I did BOTC, we weren't issued anything like this.  Maybe it's different now, but if not (or if the supply system doesn't have them) then this is what I would recommend buying.  Dry feet are a huge morale booster.

George Wallace said:
;D

Sometimes I wonder.

There is an urban legend about "CFAT waivers" sometimes being issued by recruiting group -- presumably to those lacking said piece of equipment.

Ostrozac said:
There is an urban legend about "CFAT waivers" sometimes being issued by recruiting group -- presumably to those lacking said piece of equipment.

;D

Ostrozac said:
But to be fair, the army does test to see if you already have one before they will let you in. (CFAT)

It seems though, no matter the results, it's good enough ;)

A few years ago I had a young soldier in front of me who needed his buddy to read his clothing docs for him - he couldn't read. I **** you not. Floored me!!

BinRat55 said:
A few years ago I had a young soldier in front of me who needed his buddy to read his clothing docs for him - he couldn't read. I **** you not. Floored me!!

To be fair, it took me a while to understand Supply-ese.  ;)

Dimsum said:
To be fair, it took me a while to understand Supply-ese.  ;)

Uh huh. I'm STILL learning.

Cup, drinking, for the use of.

BinRat55 said:
Uh huh. I'm STILL learning.

Cup, drinking, for the use of.

It is necessary to have modifiers to differentiate the purpose of similarly named items.  While I (and probably every other soldier) had much need of "cup, drinking" there would have been some hesitation in having a coffee in the field if we had been sent "cup, athletic supporter".

Dimsum said:
I'll summarise:  Timex Ironman Triathlon.  :nod:

Really? I figured I'd rather go for this watch:
https://timex.ca/watches/expedition-vibe-shock-t49983cs

Blackadder1916 said:
It is necessary to have modifiers to differentiate the purpose of similarly named items.  While I (and probably every other soldier) had much need of "cup, drinking" there would have been some hesitation in having a coffee in the field if we had been sent "cup, athletic supporter".

Ha ha ha!!! This is quite true!!

Too funny!!

In this day and age, why can't we attach a photo (or photos) to each item in the CGCS?

Back