• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Is There Anything I can do in the meantime????

DrSize

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey I was just wondering.....I recently sworn in to be a DEO Infantry Officer in the Reg Force.  I do not leave for basic officer training until September though.  So I was wondering if I could do any work for the Army in the city I am in (London).  I always see ads looking for summer help etc.....I could really use some cash to help me make it to September and I do not feel like trying to get a normal civilian job....

Hey. there's always tree planting. You get lots of money, you keep fit, and you get laid off around Sept.

Actually, tree planting may be a very good idea.  Some provincial and municipal employment is considered pensionable time and can be 'bought back' on enrolment.  Something to look into.

DrSize said:
Hey I was just wondering.....I recently sworn in to be a DEO Infantry Officer in the Reg Force.   I do not leave for basic officer training until September though.   So I was wondering if I could do any work for the Army in the city I am in (London).   I always see ads looking for summer help etc.....I could really use some cash to help me make it to September and I do not feel like trying to get a normal civilian job....

Are you on Leave without Pay?

If you've got any $$$ at all, take a long trip: backpack it and live on the cheap ... you won't have this much time off for a looooong time.  I went to the Middle East a few years ago and was living on <$50 week: it's a big world, so go check out a part of it that interests you ...  ;D

I_am_John_Galt said:
If you've got any $$$ at all, take a long trip: backpack it and live on the cheap ... you won't have this much time off for a looooong time.  I went to the Middle East a few years ago and was living on <$50 week: it's a big world, so go check out a part of it that interests you ...  ;D

REPEAT

I_am_John_Galt said:

Since he is a member of the CF now, I don't think travelling overseas would be a good idea.

DrSize said:
Hey I was just wondering.....I recently sworn in to be a DEO Infantry Officer in the Reg Force.  

Were  you merit listed from a previous board?  i didn't think the Sept BOTC wass decided until the June selection board...

T

Yes I am on leave without pay.  I contacted the local RC here and they said there was nothing I could do except wait until Sept.  About my selection, I was selected at the last one in the fall except my medical was pending and was not cleared until Jan and they still had positions to fill before year end so I was sworn in Mar 31.  I have no money pretty much, I am starting to look into getting a line of credit from the bank to make it until September

DrSize said:
Yes I am on leave without pay.   I contacted the local RC here and they said there was nothing I could do except wait until Sept.   About my selection, I was selected at the last one in the fall except my medical was pending and was not cleared until Jan and they still had positions to fill before year end so I was sworn in Mar 31.   I have no money pretty much, I am starting to look into getting a line of credit from the bank to make it until September

You are allowed to work at a civilian job but remember that if anything happens to you, you will be SOL so get a nice safe job to tide you over until IAP/BOTP.  Good luck.

I_am_John_Galt said:

Well the very first thing that pop into my head was because I said so and the second thing was:

Recall to Duty.  A member on LWOP is subject to recall to duty at any time.

While on LWOP for Enrolment purposes you are to be available at all times therefore trouncing off to see the world is
not an option.

kincanucks said:
Well the very first thing that pop into my head was because I said so and the second thing was:

Recall to Duty.  A member on LWOP is subject to recall to duty at any time.

While on LWOP for Enrolment purposes you are to be available at all times therefore trouncing off to see the world is
not an option.

Reason enough!  Sorry about that ...  :-[

Tree planting and other forestry related jobs, forestry tech specifically, would be a great way to spend the months making money and, more importantly, working up some useful skills for your trade.  My advice would be to track down every forestry consultant in the country and send out a résumé and covering letter that explain your circumstance and wish for employment.

As an example, previous to my enrollment in the CF I was employed with Forsite Consultants LTD (http://www.forsite.ca/) where I completed road traverses, bridge surveys, cut-block layouts, bug hunts and GPS mapping.  The main benefit to the future infantier is walking about in the woods encumbered, navigating, using equipment and completing tasks within timings.  The job also pays well, which may allow you to negotiate for a short-term job in exchange for a drop in salary. 

Beyond that, the advice to live it up somewhat while you still can should be taken.  If your courses shake out properly, you may find yourself doing IAP, BOTP, Common Army Phase Training (CAP) and then Dismounted Infantry Platoon Commander (DP1.1 formerly Phase III) all back to back.  That's a long tunnel to travel and I suggest you get in some good times now to light the way.

Hey, we share the same line of work, Tebo. Only difference is: I'm still stuck doing these jobs right now while my application is being processed. At least I like the work. I wouldn't want to be stuck in a job I don't like, waiting for the Army to call

Well I just took a position as security guard for the summer.....shouldn't be too bad and it will get me by until September.....I didn't want an office job even though I have my commerce degree haha

Back