• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Is Remembrance Day dead?

Franko

Staff member
Directing Staff
Inactive
Reaction score
In Quebec City my wife and I were, for better part the minority, the only ones wearing a poppy. We went on tours of the Citadel and Old Quebec City as well as other parts around the place. I can literally count on one hand the number of people wearing a poppy over the past 3 days.

I thought, perhaps, it was just something about the Bloc Quebecois and chalked it up to their separatist agenda but I was wrong.

My wife and I stopped in Ottawa on the way home. We ducked into the St Laurent Mall to grab some stuff and we completely amazed....we were pretty much the only ones wearing poppies. I thought for sure that in the Nations Capital, a mere 4km from Parliament Hill and the National War Memorial, we'd see shitloads of them.

Nope, just a handful. It wasn't for lack of Legion poppy trays either, as there were 2 vendors with trays literally spilling over.

We dropped into the Bayshore Mall too with the same scene...no one wearing poppies. This sparked me to ask my wife a couple of questions, to which she nor I could answer:

- What is being taught in schools across Canada?

- Why is it such a chore for people to drop a bit of change into a clear plastic box and wear a little flower to say to the remaining vets who fought in WW2 and Korea "Thanks for my freedom"? Do they not know what that money is being used for?

With only a day left until Nov 11th I have to ask myself..........Has this nation forgotten?

I've noticed this here in the Vancouver area as well. It doesn't seem to be as bad as you encountered though. I know that as soon as the poppies come out, I throw in 10 bucks and grab a few, so I can replace lost ones, or give them to friends.

I see poppies up on people's lapels here in Thunder Bay - will share photos of turnout at tomorrow's memorial service (CAVEAT:  Keep in mind it'll be photos of one of three services going on simultaneously in Thunder Bay - one at the north side of town, one at the south side of town, and one at the Fort William First Nation at their memorial/cenotaph).

Recce By Death said:
- Why is it such a chore for people to drop a bit of change into a clear plastic box and wear a little flower to say to the remaining vets who fought in WW2 and Korea "Thanks for my freedom"? Do they not know what that money is being used for?

I can only speak for myself - even if I have a poppy (learned how to keep from losing it), I always put a couple of loonies into Legion poppy boxes because I know what it's for.

Recce By Death said:
With only a day left until Nov 11th I have to ask myself..........Has this nation forgotten?

Based on the increasing number of hits I'm seeing here as Remembrance Day approaches (both local and international), I'd say no way in this part of the nation.

Seems like everyone and their dog has one in Charlottetown, PEI  :cdn: I felt like I was the only one without one when my seat belt claimed the pin from jacket prior to heading to the Confed Center

I've seen lots of people here in Winnipeg wearing them. In fact, a woman I passed in a store yesterday without one looked odd. I expect my son has a handful of them and has been getting after any of his friends and co-workers who weren't wearing one and has handed them a poppy. He does that every year - they only touched on Remembrance Day when he was in school, but he knows his history from his own reading and talking to his Granddad about the war. Granddad made sure one Canadian will never forget!

:cdn:
Hawk

It is certainly not forgotten on the West end of Ottawa, over to Arnprior. This weekend everywhere I went I seen lots of poppies.

Well,

I have always lived in Quebec and I have to say that I have never learned anything about Remembrance Day at school.
I have to say that sometimes I feel like I was raised to be a separatist... There are so many things about our country that I was not tought.
Now I know and I almost feel violated, I feel like I have to fight to be a Canadian... how pathetic!!!

I know a lot of people who have a poppy, they just don't wear it... I don't know why.

Recce By Death said:

Has there not been an upward trend in attendance at the ceremonies at the National War Memorial, and others across the country, over the past couple of years?  I believe there has been.

However, I heard on the news this am some pundit suggesting that we remember journalists and members of NGO's on Remembrance Day.  This I have a problem with.  The news profession is a business, driven by the profit motive.  So why should their fallen divert attention from soldiers who fought and fell for other reasons?  By extension should we remember mercenaries too?  

Nor do I think that those with NGO's should be commemorated alongside servicemen.  While their noble motives merit commemoration by their peers and those they helped it should not detract from those who answered their country's call so that we can have discussions like this.  What do others think of this??

Recce By Death said:
My wife and I stopped in Ottawa on the way home. We ducked into the St Laurent Mall to grab some stuff and we completely amazed....we were pretty much the only ones wearing poppies. I thought for sure that in the Nations Capital, a mere 4km from Parliament Hill and the National War Memorial, we'd see shitloads of them.

Nope, just a handful. It wasn't for lack of Legion poppy trays either, as there were 2 vendors with trays literally spilling over.

We dropped into the Bayshore Mall too with the same scene...no one wearing poppies.

I have been asking myself the same question, but while walking through the same malls in the last two weeks I have noticed quite a bit of competition.

Many stores also have thier own causes:  Breast Cancer, Lung Cancer, Prostate Cancer, Cancer, Food Bank, Snow Suit Fund, etc.........  One local business has 6 different boxes/causes at the cash, including poppies.  This problem you see may simply be a case of donour/cause fatigue.

Recce By Death said:
- What is being taught in schools across Canada?
I can't speak for the other 120,000 teachers in the province, but I know I do my best as a history teacher and former reservist. However, (and I've mentioned this before in previous posts) there seems to be a general malaise/apathy in many young people (I don't want to stereotype them all). Perfect example; I am helping to coordinate our Remembrance Day service for tomorrow. The service will last approx 30 minutes (2 groupings-9&11, 10&12). I have a Gr.12 University history class that period and since I have to be in the auditorium, I volunteered them to help. I needed a few kids to do some readings, etc. It was like pulling teeth to get them to do anything; I even had one girl ask if there was bonus marks available for participating. I nearly blew a gasket! I told them pointblank that their "bonus" was the fact that people sacrificed their lives so they can get an education and live in the society that they do.
So, after all that, I don't know what the answer is. I've often mentioned that even though there is a war in Afghanistan (which has certainly raised people's consciousness as of late), most people are very disconnected with the past or remembering the fallen. We have discussed this topic at length on this site as to people's lack of understanding of their past; they simply don't have time, don't care (or whatever the excuse). Therefore, I would think that things are only going to get worse, especially as our older veterans become fewer and fewer.

ex-Sup said:
I have a Gr.12 University history class that period and since I have to be in the auditorium, I volunteered them to help. I needed a few kids to do some readings, etc. It was like pulling teeth to get them to do anything; I even had one girl ask if there was bonus marks available for participating. I nearly blew a gasket!

Sadly, my sweetie, who teaches at University, sees the same attitude in EVERYTHING many students do, so I would take this more as a "student apathy" thing, as opposed to a "student apathy about Remembrance Day" thing.

Didja ask if any of them had relatives in any of the previous wars?  It would be interesting to see what the demographic breakdown there is...

Still, you're doing your best, bud.

milnews.ca said:
Sadly, my sweetie, who teaches at University, sees the same attitude in EVERYTHING many students do, so I would take this more as a "student apathy" thing, as opposed to a "student apathy about Remembrance Day" thing.
Yes I should have clarified this...maybe it's starting to wear off on me  ;)
milnews.ca said:
Didja ask if any of them had relatives in any of the previous wars?  It would be interesting to see what the demographic breakdown there is...
Maybe I did...I'm starting to forget things. Either I'm too smart and there's no room left, or as one of my students pointed out, it might be early signs of old age.
milnews.ca said:
Still, you're doing your best, bud.
Thanks Tony, but somedays it's like this  :brickwall:

I see a lot of people around here wearing poppies. I also see some folks not wearing them. It's such a simple gesture to honour our veterans and serving members, so I am not sure why some folks cannot be bothered. I guess we live in a time and in a country where much is taken for granted.

I've been talking to my daughter about Remembrance Day a lot lately, and have told her we'll be attending a ceremony tomorrow. On the way to school today, she peppered me with lots of questions about what would take place at this ceremony. Then, suddenly, a lightbulb went on. "Oh!", she said excitedly. "This is why we have a day off tomorrow; so we can attend the Remembrance Day ceremony!" Why, yes, indeed. That is the reason. It's not so that we can sleep in, catch up on chores, watch TV, or go to the playground. Something tells me that that is precisely what it means for some others, though - just another day off. Very sad.  :cdn:

I live in Ottawa south and I' would say its still alive...well in my generation and the older ones. It seems like the youth today just don't care. Also I'm seeing a lot of people claiming they don't support war so they wont take part of remembrance day..which I find pathetic because Remembrance Day is to remember those who fought for us...not war.

I wouldn't say its dead but I would say a lot of people, mostly youth, dont show any respect to it.

When I was in the elevator this morning, I was the only one not wearing a poppy (its on my other coat, have to get one for this coat as well). 

NDHQ is its own bizarre world - I've quit asking military pers why they're not wearing poppies.  This problem infects all rank levels; I've seen CWOs (who made excuses) to LCols who shrug it off.

Unbelievable but true.

Sadly, here in Ontario, it is just another day at work or school.  I queried the school and they claim they do hold a period of remembrance at 11 with the Legion present in the main auditorium.  I like it better when it falls on a weekend so I can take both my sons to the local parade.  In the past few years, I've been parading with the Scouts and wear my scout uniform, avec Medals, to make a show of numbers for the youth.  To show the youth what Remembrance Day is all about, to show them how to properly behave in public and to show the youth that it ain't cheesy to wear you scout uniform in public.  This year I will be attending parade in DEU and watching from the sidelines and applauding the veterans as they pass by, but not pass on.  :salute:
My son takes history in high school and the class recently went to see Passendale, I think with a good school program, the past will not die out.  Every year, we watch History channels Week of Remembrance just to bring it all to the forefront along with the odd WW2 movie.  With this site and the repats that go on here in Trenton, it seems every week is Remembrance Day.  It is fanominal the amount of local support we have here for the military.  I feel sad for some towns that don't have this support.
Lest We Forget  :salute: 
:cdn:  for this, we fight

Out here in sticksville, Alberta, everyone has a poppy on.  In fact, it's pretty rare to see someone without one.  Those who don't, my youngest goes out of her way to remind them, or if that fails, shame them.  God bless her politically incorrect little black soul.

Oh my god... I have never had a day off for Remembrance day, and at school we have never done anything special, no ceremony, no minute of silence... nothing!
I have to say that I was used to live Remembrance Day as a thought inside of me more than a social event...
I wish it was more special for the population of Quebec, because many of us have served... but it is written on the calandars and that is about it.

Back