• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Is recreational flying made available to AF members?

BritishBuzzard

Inactive
Reaction score
I am looking at applying to the Air Force as a Public Affairs officer in a few years (I'm in a similar line of work now). Just waiting to become a Canadian Citizen! I'm currently a Permanent Resident, having emigrated here from the UK.

Back home I held a Private Pilot's License and also flew gliders. I know the Royal Air Force in the UK makes subsidized aircraft hire/gliding available to it's members as a recreational activity.

Just wondering, does the Canadian Air Force do anything similar? It would be ideal if I could indulge in my passion in my spare time!

You can do anything you like - on your own dime/shilling.  The CF does not have a subsidized flying program.  Your best bet would be to get your Canadian PPL and then volunteer with a local Air Cadet squadron - they occasionally do flying with Cadets.

I actually also started instructor training back in the UK as a Civilian Gliding instructor with the Air Cadets, flying Grob motor gliders. I moved though before I could finish.

Are there opportunities for current non-pilot AF members to volunteer as Air Cadet flying instructors?

BritishBuzzard said:
Are there opportunities for current non-pilot AF members to volunteer as Air Cadet flying instructors?

In short, yes if you have the required civilian licenses.  One of my coursemates in Nav school did that as an Air Combat Systems Officer in training.

You would have to be a licensed flight instructor working for a flight school that had a Cadet contract to teach the Power flying course for the Cadets.

Dimsum said:
In short, yes if you have the required civilian licenses.  One of my coursemates in Nav school did that as an Air Combat Systems Officer in training.
Another good pilot candidate who chose to be a nav... We may have to expand our pilot recruiting..  ;D

Back