• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Is my entire unit getting screwed for leave?

So if the MO puts you on 30 days sick leave, does the unit see that as "15 days"?  :stirpot:

Eye In The Sky said:
So if the MO puts you on 30 days sick leave, does the unit see that as "15 days"?  :stirpot:

No. Sick leave is calendar days not working days. If they tried that there would be a whole new storm coming.

I'd be curious to see what your actual shift schedule for a normal cycle looks like. If you could provide that, it would probably help.

ballz said:
I'd be curious to see what your actual shift schedule for a normal cycle looks like. If you could provide that, it would probably help.

Its quite simple. 24 on, 24 off, 24 on, 5 days off. We work 0730-0730. Pretty much eight 24 hour shifts a month.

Sounds like day workers being pissy to me.  Saw some of that shit when l was a shift worker.  Ironically, when my day worker bosses were shift workers they didn't have an issue taking leave like a shift worker.  I worked for some dicks back in the day. 

danteh said:
Its quiet simple. 24 on, 24 off, 24 on, 5 days off. We work 0730-0730. Pretty much eight 24 hour shifts a month.

So which days are "Weekend (Shiftworker)" exactly? That's important.

Looks like to me it's your 4 working days ( 0730 start on Monday, 24 on, 24 off, 24 on, 0730 off on Thursday) and then 5 Weekend (Shift Worker), is that right?

ballz said:
So which days are "Weekend (Shiftworker)" exactly? That's important.

Looks like to me it's your 4 working days ( 0730 start on Monday, 24 on, 24 off, 24 on, 0730 off on Thursday) and then 5 Weekend (Shift Worker), is that right?

And...

Section 2.8 Shift Work, 2.8.01 Scheduling - 3rd para.

When working on a compressed schedule, time off must be earned in order to be taken (i.e. four days of work on a compressed schedule for three days off in a week). When a member requests annual leave, this leave must be granted based on a normal working week (i.e. not compressed) in order to ensure a member is not granted more than the allotted annual leave entitlement.

Example:A member who works four (4) 12-hour shift days in a scheduled work week (Monday to Thursday), earns a three-day long weekend (time off, Friday to Sunday), totalling seven days in a week. The member then takes a week of leave using five annual days (Monday to Friday, where each day counts as a normal uncompressed workday) plus two weekend days, totalling seven days.

Pretty simple fix, adjust it so you work midnight to midnight.  Problem solved: 1 x 24 hr day of leave = 1 x 24 hr shift off.  But...I'm sure nobody would like that solution.

It's interesting that someone has approved this.  You can't tell me you are actually "working" a 24 hour shift in that you are awake and alert throughout that 24 hour period. How much of that time are you actually doing what would be considered "work" such as responding to an actual call, maintenance of equipment, professional development, running training scenarios etc, how much time is spent being awake on standby and how much is being spent asleep and on standby?

Edit to add:  My point with the last bit being...be careful what you wish for.  It could very well end up with people taking a very in depth and close look at what is actually going on resulting in some imposed changes to everything, not just the way the leave policy is being applied.

Eye In The Sky said:
And...

Section 2.8 Shift Work, 2.8.01 Scheduling - 3rd para.

When working on a compressed schedule, time off must be earned in order to be taken (i.e. four days of work on a compressed schedule for three days off in a week). When a member requests annual leave, this leave must be granted based on a normal working week (i.e. not compressed) in order to ensure a member is not granted more than the allotted annual leave entitlement.

Example:A member who works four (4) 12-hour shift days in a scheduled work week (Monday to Thursday), earns a three-day long weekend (time off, Friday to Sunday), totalling seven days in a week. The member then takes a week of leave using five annual days (Monday to Friday, where each day counts as a normal uncompressed workday) plus two weekend days, totalling seven days.

I'm trying to keep an open mind before stating how I think the policy should be applied on this.... but yeah... I was getting there. It looks to me like if you want to take those 2x 24 hr shifts off, you should be taking 7 annual + 2 weekend.... but I don't want to get too far ahead of myself.

Regarding CAF Firefighter shift schedules,

Consideration of 5 Canadian Forces Fire Fighter Shift Schedules
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/James_Miller35/publication/264877413_Consideration_of_5_Canadian_Forces_Fire_Fighter_Shift_Schedules/links/540da8e20cf2df04e755e5b0/Consideration-of-5-Canadian-Forces-Fire-Fighter-Shift-Schedules.pdf

mariomike said:
Regarding CAF Firefighter shift schedules,

Consideration of 5 Canadian Forces Fire Fighter Shift Schedules
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/James_Miller35/publication/264877413_Consideration_of_5_Canadian_Forces_Fire_Fighter_Shift_Schedules/links/540da8e20cf2df04e755e5b0/Consideration-of-5-Canadian-Forces-Fire-Fighter-Shift-Schedules.pdf
Interesting, thanks.

garb811 said:
Pretty simple fix, adjust it so you work midnight to midnight.  Problem solved: 1 x 24 hr day of leave = 1 x 24 hr shift off.  But...I'm sure nobody would like that solution.

It's interesting that someone has approved this.  You can't tell me you are actually "working" a 24 hour shift in that you are awake and alert throughout that 24 hour period. How much of that time are you actually doing what would be considered "work" such as responding to an actual call, maintenance of equipment, professional development, running training scenarios etc, how much time is spent being awake on standby and how much is being spent asleep and on standby?

Edit to add:  My point with the last bit being...be careful what you wish for.  It could very well end up with people taking a very in depth and close look at what is actually going on resulting in some imposed changes to everything, not just the way the leave policy is being applied.

What you do during your work hours is irrelevant.  You are still physically at work and liable to be utilized.  You cannot be on leave.  Same thing if you are on standby at home, like the SAR folks do.

I have done a bunch of thise shifts, 24 hours straight at work, spending the night at work, on standby to be launched.  We were encouraged/obligated to rest in cass we were launched at 2AM for a 3-4 hour flight: you need to be rested to safely and effectively do this.  Same thing for firefighters.  National and local refugulation supported the rest.  FWIW, a Class A reservist that did one of thise shifts was paid 2 full days (the day he got in for, using the OP's number, 17 hours and the second day for 7 hours. 

Having said that, I never really cared to account my leave around that; I would take annual leave starting the day I got out.  I always end up with too much leave at the end of the year (with all the Holidays leave, short leave, half day here and there)

garb811 said:

Lol....ffs you can’t be serious.

Any firehouse I have been in has beds.

And a BBQ!  :)

The OP, I don't believe, is providing all the info. Perhaps he is leaving out the fact the individuals being "screwed" are perhaps in fact asking to get the following:
5 x shift days off
1 x special to cover 24hr shift
1 x day shift day off
1x special to cover 24hr shift
5x days shift days off
For a total of 13 days off for the cost of 2 x special. The same would be requested when short leave applies.

Speaking of 24-hour shifts, how do CAF Firefighters like them?

In the city I live, our Firefighters voted to switch from 10/14 ( 10-hour day and 14-hour night ) to 24-hour shifts about six years ago.

mariomike said:
Speaking of 24-hour shifts, how do CAF Firefighters like them?

In the city I live, our Firefighters voted to switch from 10/14 to 24-hour shifts about six years ago.

The DND fire hall (civilian employees) that I the most recent contact seemed to love it. They worked 7-8 shifts per month, before applying leave. If they covered a shift for someone on an another platoon, it was overtime. The rest of the month was theirs.

Do CAF or DND Firefighters work the four-platoon system?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shift_plan#Four-platoon_schedules

mariomike said:
Do CAF or DND Firefighters work the four-platoon system?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shift_plan#Four-platoon_schedules

Yes.

I asked talked with my acting CWO today (actual one is on a tasking) and basically got told to let it go.

So now I am asking this;

Can I put in a memo asking for both short and special leave at the same time? I am going on 2 month tasking and I would normally just ask for 2 special before and after but cause I can only get 1 can I also ask for 1 short before and after? I meet the criteria on being able to ask for both.

Back