• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Is it time to get totalitarian?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reccesoldier said:
What I am against is the Animal Farm nature of our current society.  Equality means equality for all, that's it that's all, no exceptions, no caveats, no backroom deals or special status or priviledge.
There is no I or ME in EQUAL 

Now heres the first thing you've said in this thread that makes sense...............don't blame those who scream for more, the blame soley rests with those who hand it out.

Ran for office lately?

Edit to add,
The Quiet Revolution turned bloody in 1963. On April 20 and 21, Molotov cocktails and dynamite time bombs planted by l'Armée de libération du Québec rocked Anglo-Saxon Montreal. The group's first victim was Wilfred O'Neil, a 65-year-old war veteran one month away from his pension. Another, explosives expert Walter Leja, was maimed for life while digging out a bomb in a Westmount mailbox on May 17, 1963. On Feb. 13, 1969, more bombs exploded, ripping through the Montreal Stock Exchange and injuring 27. It was the work of fed-up Québécois nationalists looking for Ottawa's recognition. They became the Front de libération du Québec.

All soldiers too?

"Between 1963 to 1968, FLQ cells and affiliated
groups raided Militia armouries to steal automatic and
anti-tank weapons. They bombed provincial and federal
targets, they engaged in sophisticated labour and
student group agitation which produced increasing
waves of violence, and even planned the assassination
of future Prime Minister Trudeau. FLQ cells would
also attack hundreds of government and private industry
targets with increasingly sophisticated bombs. FLQ
personnel trained in Jordan and Algeria and infiltrated
Government of Canada departments (including the
CBC and the Company of Young Canadians), the
Militia, the Regular Army, and the RCAF. They raided
armouries to secure weapons and communications
equipment, established training camps in the
Laurentians, attempted to bomb Prime Minister Lester
B. Pearson’s aircraft, and orchestrated increasingly
violent political and labour-oriented demonstrations.8
The next spike was the 1968-1970 bombing campaign
(137 attacks with weapons of increasing size and
sophistication) which did not remain confined to
Quebec. Ottawa was also targeted; one incident resulted
in the death of a DND civil servant."

Nope, never happened here.  http://www.journal.forces.gc.ca/engraph/Vol1/no2/pdf/71-84_e.pdf

Freddy G said:
They pay taxes? Since when?

Like, if they work like you and me off reserve?

Like, when they pay property taxes when living in town?

milnewstbay said:
Like, if they work like you and me off reserve?

Like, when they pay property taxes when living in town?

I doubt the radical Aboriginals who use violence to get their way live off the reserve and actually work.

Freddy G said:
I doubt the radical Aboriginals who use violence to get their way live off the reserve and actually work.

Ah, then I misunderstood which "they" you meant.

OK Fred, enough of the misinformed comments. Please.  Shawn Brant for example, is the instigator of the Deseronto blockade - he lives in Toronto.  Most of the instigators in protests are professional protestors - like Brant.  Tax issues - Amendments to the Income Tax Act removed the tax free status of Status Indians unless they worked for a company which held its assets and incorporation on a reserve territory.  If anyone else works for an off reserve employer they pay taxes. In my entire working career, I never not paid income taxes. Those FN that have signed agreements for Self Governing, gave up the provincial sales tax exemptions. 

INAC stats: 2005 population of status Indians - 759, 047
On reserve population - 2005 - 471, 453
Off reserve population - 2005 - 287, 595 

The title of this thread is rather silly if not actually dangerous.

What we are dealing with here is really people who are demanding special privilages at the expense of others (and we have lots of threads about THAT subject on Army.ca), which leads to the rather simple and logical conclusion that what is needed is the end of special privilages and an equal application of the law.

Many of the problems we see in Canada are pretty much self inflicted, since it is decided by one group or another to "buy" votes and support to maintain political power. Observers see this and say "wow, x is getting a sweet deal, I/we should get some of that as well".

Of course, since time and resources are finite, and not every wannabe group has the critical mass or utility to be of interest to the politcal elite, not everyone will get what they want, and those who already are in the "in"' crowd will fight tooth and nail to prevent others from elbowing them out of the trough.

Interesting article with a possible solution geared to Canada's needs: http://www.c2cjournal.ca/public/articles/16

Freddy G said:

Wow, you wrote that shortly after writing this
Good thing you guys aren't talking about black people instead of Quebecois, you'd probably get in trouble.
and this
They pay taxes? Since when?
and
I won't even adress the rest of your post as you have your head way too far up your ***.

Sorry, but any point you might have had is ruined by your hypocritical ramblings. ::)

2Cdo, what's good for the goose is good for the gander, no? "Culturalist" comments were made against French Canadians and all was well, so I assumed it was acceptable to use that type of comments in my own posts. I don't see where I was hypocritical in realizing that a behaviour that I thought was unacceptable was, in fact, accepted, and adopting said behaviour for my own purposes. If anything, I realized I was wrong and corrected the situation.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Now heres the first thing you've said in this thread that makes sense...............don't blame those who scream for more, the blame soley rests with those who hand it out.

You're finally pickin up what I've been layin down.  ;)

I've been pretty consistent, I thought.  Equality for all. It's a simple concept.

Except I blame both those who scream for more, and those who dole it out.  There used to be a time when being a citizen meant more than what have you done for me lately.  Kennedy recognized the shift and addressed it (weakly) in his speech "Ask not..." but I digress.

What I am advocating is not the dissolution of Canada or the marginalization of any segment of our population but a call to arms. 

It is high time that all the people in this country knew just how lucky they are to enjoy our freedoms and live in an open and democratic society where rights are guaranteed by the highest law of the land.  It is also time that people realized that the price of our freedoms is not only paid by soldiers on the battlefield every 50+ years but must be paid for and guarded by each and every citizen.

Also I believe that should you advocate the dissolution of our country or sit in complicit silence of it those rights should not be irrevocable. 

Reccesoldier said:
Also I believe that should you advocate the dissolution of our country or sit in complicit silence of it those rights should not be irrevocable. 

Now this is where you lose me...........the freedoms we enjoy are not at the whim of what you think people should be talking about. 

Wow, Reccesoldier advocating 'speech police"...who'da thunk it?

Freddy G said:
2Cdo, what's good for the goose is good for the gander, no? "Culturalist" comments were made against French Canadians and all was well, so I assumed it was acceptable to use that type of comments in my own posts. I don't see where I was hypocritical in realizing that a behaviour that I thought was unacceptable was, in fact, accepted, and adopting said behaviour for my own purposes. If anything, I realized I was wrong and corrected the situation.

You have read exactly what you wanted into everything I have written. 

At no time did I equate the actions of the Aboriginals with those of  the current batch of separatists, I said that both were forms of blackmail, and they are.

The letter bomb reference was in answer to the German/Soviet analogy I said that those analogy's were weak and asked, in the current situation both on reserves and in Quebec, "would Canadians let it happen?"

I stand behind what I have written here.  This country, from coast to coast needs a wake up. 

Those that do not want to be a part of it should be encouraged to take legal and democratic steps toward that goal NOW.  Not in 10 years, not in thirty years but right freaking now. 

If we who are loyal leave it to the separatists and cultural revisionists we will live with this shadow looming over us and demands being made of us until it's all gone for good and there isn't anything in Canada worth saving.

For those who think it'll never happen just ask yourself why some in Alberta are beginning to talk of separation, and why Ontarians are so short on compassion for not just the the actions of Aboriginals, but for their plight too.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Now this is where you lose me...........the freedoms we enjoy are not at the whim of what you think people should be talking about. 

Wow, Reccesoldier advocating 'speech police"...who'da thunk it?

Bruce, you misunderstand me.

I am not, NOT saying that they should not be allowed to say it.

I am saying that they should not be permitted to threaten it forever in order to get their way, to achieve a status and position above everyone else in our confederation. 

Blackmail requires two things, a person unscrupulous enough to use his strength, position or knowledge to extort, and a coward susceptible to the threat of violence, fear of reprisal or exposure.  Canada has played the cowards role for far too long.

Reccesoldier said:
You have read exactly what you wanted into everything I have written. 

At no time did I equate the actions of the Aboriginals with those of  the current batch of separatists, I said that both were forms of blackmail, and they are.

However, you did call Separatists "whining self-absorbed self-serving cretins," if indirectly, completely ignoring the pretty legitimate peeves they had, although most of their original problems have been solved since. Just because you don't agree with someone's beef with the RoC doesn't mean they're idiots, it just means you don't agree with them.

For those who think it'll never happen just ask yourself why some in Alberta are beginning to talk of separation, and why Ontarians are so short on compassion for not just the the actions of Aboriginals, but for their plight too.

Speaking of Alberta... any reason you didn't link them to the "whining self-absorbed self-serving cretins" and call for them to be kicked out of Canada? Oh, they're WASPs, so they're allowed to whine and get their way, right?

As I said earlier, what's good for the goose is good for the gander; bitching and whining and calling for the expatriation of one group of separatists while saying another group doing the exact same thing is right is hypocritical and shows that you don't care about separatism and about keeping the country together, you just don't like French people and Aboriginals getting their way.

This is a topic that can get personal real quick, with no one intending it to be that way.

Cool the jets, debate the issue, no barbs/digs/jabs or it's getting locked.

Thanks
Army.ca Staff

muskrat89 said:
This is a topic that can get personal real quick, with no one intending it to be that way.

Cool the jets, debate the issue, no barbs/digs/jabs or it's getting locked.

Thanks
Army.ca Staff

I'm fairly certain it got personal at the end of page 2, but heh, it's above my paygrade.

I'm fairly certain it got personal at the end of page 2, but heh, it's above my paygrade.

Maybe we just let it go to see if you could police yourselves. Apparently not.

If you felt it was personal at Page 2, then you should have used the "Report to Moderator" function, and been a part of the solution.

By "being a part of the solution," you mean "ignored," right? Seems to be what happens every time I use that function.

Complaints go to Mike Bobbitt.

Back on the topic please, or I'm locking the thread.

Freddy G said:
By "being a part of the solution," you mean "ignored," right? Seems to be what happens every time I use that function.

Ah lemme guess

with your aggressive posts this last 48 hours, it must be end of term at RMC....

Oh it's going to be quite a cake eating summer.

dileas

tess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back