• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Is bmq now 14 weeks?

BMQ is 13 weeks long, with an "administration week" to get things like paperwork, dentals, medicals, PT tests, kit issue. and the like out of the way before the actual course material is taught.  13 weeks + 1 week admin = 14 weeks.

13+1 Is what I did January 07.... which of course means SFA since they seem to change course lengths every few days.... I have a 4 week SQ coming up now that I'm done 7 months of POET; and my LCIS 3's have no end date, lol....  ;D

Question, I did my basic in 2004, and what do they do fill the extra weeks with now.  More field ex's or more weapons training?  Hopefully more PT.

Much of what used to be in SQ has migrated into BMQ, so that all sailors and air men and women get a greater understanding of field life / field conditions, particularly since a significant number of Navy and Air personnel are being used to augment the Land Force on operations.

The new SQ is significantly shorter as a result.

I also just finished the 13+1 week BMQ. The first week didnt count they said.. .Im not sure what he difference is between 11 and 13. The 13 could definately be condensed I found there was a little too much down time.

Krissy you did BMQ in Borden, nough said LOL

BMQ in St Jean, a dedicated area for that training has little to no down time during the course (not counting when you earn your weekends of course).

KrissyJ said:
The 13 could definately be condensed I found there was a little too much down time.

When i did Basic in 1993 it was 10 weeks and we had zero down time.  Count yourself lucky you had some.

CDN Aviator said:
When i did Basic in 1993 it was 10 weeks and we had zero down time.  Count yourself lucky you had some.

6 years later in 99 at St Jean same thing...The we went to Meaford where we learned a whole new concept for CB and lack of personal Freedom... Ahhh the good old days LMAO  ;)

HitorMiss said:
6 years later in 99 at St Jean same thing...The we went to Meaford where we learned a whole new concept for CB and lack of personal Freedom... Ahhh the good old days LMAO  ;)

S**t, i made it out of the Mega twice

After week 6 and after grad.

HitorMiss said:
Krissy you did BMQ in Borden, nough said LOL

BMQ in St Jean, a dedicated area for that training has little to no down time during the course (not counting when you earn your weekends of course).

BMQ in Borden is an exact replica of the one done in St.Jean in terms of classes, lessons, PT etc. All our course outlines, our PT Schedule etc has St Jean written right on it (Some of our instructors also came from there). FTR Whoever translated our lesson plans into english did a horrible job!

Now I agree it was easier because we had nicer instructors a smaller group of people so it was more relaxed in terms of attitude for sure. Im definately fortunate to have done it there especially after just having a baby. 

My reference to the down time is more towards spending 40 min on a class for example about snow shoes in the field. It doesn't take 40 min to teach you the parts on a snowshoe. Another class would be topo, we had endless topo classes and to be honest its not that complicated so spending over I believe it was 8 or more periods throughout the course plotting out grid references was a waste, it definately could have been shortened to say 4 and the other 4 classeses made more useful.  The field and everything else is fine I just wish they shortened the lesson plans which in turn would make the course shorter. Death by powerpoint for sure.

KrissyJ said:
BMQ in Borden is an exact replica of the one done in St.Jean in terms of classes, lessons, PT etc. All our course outlines, our PT Schedule etc has St Jean written right on it (Some of our instructors also came from there). FTR Whoever translated our lesson plans into english did a horrible job!

Now I agree it was easier because we had nicer instructors a smaller group of people so it was more relaxed in terms of attitude for sure. Im definately fortunate to have done it there especially after just having a baby. 

My reference to the down time is more towards spending 40 min on a class for example about snow shoes in the field. It doesn't take 40 min to teach you the parts on a snowshoe. Another class would be topo, we had endless topo classes and to be honest its not that complicated so spending over I believe it was 8 or more periods throughout the course plotting out grid references was a waste, it definately could have been shortened to say 4 and the other 4 classeses made more useful.  The field and everything else is fine I just wish they shortened the lesson plans which in turn would make the course shorter. Death by powerpoint for sure.

The reason why it is seemingly so long is contained in the first 2 paragraphs of your post.  The lesson plans and course structure is the same as for those going to St-Jean. If they indeed have larger groups over there, they require more time to get through the training. You may have had a smaller group but the course MUST be allocated the exact same amounts of time for each PO.

KrissyJ said:

It may not take 40 minutes for each of those classes right now.  But lately we've had our choice of recruits and average education and aptitudes have crept up across the board in recent years.  There are probably very few recruits with minimum education, etc., in current BMQ classes. And those recruits often contributed to the ratio of material vs. time requirement, if only because a few of them needed extra time with the instructor and that made the lessons take 40 minutes.  If we give up that flexibility now, and condense everything, we will not easily get it back when we do need it.

Klc said:
13+1 Is what I did January 07.... which of course means SFA since they seem to change course lengths every few days.... I have a 4 week SQ coming up now that I'm done 7 months of POET; and my LCIS 3's have no end date, lol....  ;D

If your SQ course is in meaford, a friend of mine may end up being your Course Officer ;)  God does he ever love meaford.

Haha - it IS Meaford I'm headed to --- at least I'm not the only LCIS on the serial, so I'm not running a HUGE risk of  being a target, lol.

Ok we are talking two separate things. What I am talking about is what you said in the paragraph I have quoted

KrissyJ said:
Now I agree it was easier because we had nicer instructors a smaller group of people so it was more relaxed in terms of attitude for sure. I'm definitely fortunate to have done it there especially after just having a baby. 

Having just had my significant other and one of my  best friend's wife complete BMQ in St Jean, and having seen for a week the BMQ candidates in Borden, I can say the course material maybe exactly the same and all PO's covered to the very same standard, however the atmosphere and attitude of the candidates is completely different. I am not sure why it is so (well that's not true I have my theories I just don't want to insult anyone) I can say that I was personally shocked to see BMQ candidates at the CANEX at 2000hrs on a Sunday or even on weekdays. When I knew candidates in St Jean are not even close to having that liberty.

It's not any of the candidates fault heck if your given freedom take it and run man run like the wind. I just wouldn't be complaining about down time LMAO. Congrats on passing now comes the fun part.

HitorMiss said:
Ok we are talking two separate things. What I am talking about is what you said in the paragraph I have quoted

Having just had my significant other and one of my  best friend's wife complete BMQ in St Jean, and having seen for a week the BMQ candidates in Borden, I can say the course material maybe exactly the same and all PO's covered to the very same standard, however the atmosphere and attitude of the candidates is completely different. I am not sure why it is so (well that's not true I have my theories I just don't want to insult anyone) I can say that I was personally shocked to see BMQ candidates at the CANEX at 2000hrs on a Sunday or even on weekdays. When I knew candidates in St Jean are not even close to having that liberty.

It's not any of the candidates fault heck if your given freedom take it and run man run like the wind. I just wouldn't be complaining about down time LMAO. Congrats on passing now comes the fun part.

lol I agree with you 100% thats why I said the attitude and instructors are different. Im definately not disagreeing with you. I have 4 friends who just finished BMQ in St Jean. I know how rough it can be! and yes you saw me at the canex on a sunday LOL one time thing, our sgt definately got in huge trouble for that one.  Like I said in my previous post my down time complaint came in terms of the course material i.e 40 min classes.

I think everyone made a valid point and with that in mind I think 14 weeks is sufficient. Edited out because the comment was clearly innappropriate.

Perhaps you would like to explain, with all your years.... err umm weeks in the military, that you know the standards are becoming lower.

CFAT standards are not lowering, the education of the average recruit is however higher then when the minimum scores for the CFAT were calculated. I am not saying troops are smarter, I'm saying they spent longer in school so they have a better grasp on the questions asked on the CFAT. Gone are the days of the grade 6 applicant, welcome to the days of a University and coledge grads joining the NCM ranks.

I am in no way saying I know everything about the military? Ofcourse I know next to nothing. According to the Captain I spoke to regarding my CFAT before I even wrote it, the scores needed to get certain trades have been lowered. This was done in order to reach the new recruiting goal. That is what I was referring to. I know this for a fact because I was one of the people to get a lower score in the spatial and math portion of my CFAT. Upon completion of the test, I was told that a few years ago my score would not have been sufficient for the trade I was going into. However my college/university experience helped with my ranking to get into the program. Either way I'm not here to insult anyone, the whole start of this thread was about BMQ being 13 weeks. When I said it could be shortened I was referring to MY experience in BORDEN. Obviously everyone experiences basic training different. I didn't ask for my opinion to be argued with I was just simply stating how I viewed my experience to be. This topic could go on forever, I'm no longer going to reply, if anyone would like to continue this please do so over PM. Thank you.

Back