• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Irish regiment

Does anyone have any photo's of the Irish Regiments full dress uniform?

This is when Prince Andrew flew into Northern Ireland for the last remembrance service of the Home Service Battalions of the Royal Irish Regiment. As you can see the caubeen is still worn with No2 dress. You can't see it here but only pipers in the band wear kilts. The Royal Irish Regiment wear a normal Rifle green beret with working dress and combats. (mind you they do like to pose wearing them when VIPs visit base location!) Only the Royal Irish Rangers (TA) wear the Caubeen with everything.

The British Army has funding problems as well, so that is why those in the photos are only wearing No2 dress. To kit out a battalion of 550 men with No1 dress uniforms would be too expensive. The norm is for the band to get No1's while a central store of about a hundred are kept for more formal occasions.

This is a photo of the TRF (Tactical Recognition Flash) that the Royal Irish Regiment are wearing on their bush hats in Iraq

"Does anyone have any photo's of the Irish Regiments full dress uniform?"

Here is one taken in 2002.  Years of neglect meant that it was hard to get everything right.  This photo is missing the diced hose that should go with this order of dress.  It's also missing the proper garter tabs.  I remember trying to get the proper uniform as is was hard enough:

that fella is wearing a mix of Scottish kit with a Caubeen on his head

This is how an Irish soldier should look like in full dress uniform - note that Irish regiments do NOT wear tartan kilts and never have done so.

Sorry Rifleman, you're wrong. The MCpl in the picture is indeed wearing the tartan of the Irish Regiment of Canada.

I mean't that Irish soldiers, as in British Army and not Canadian Army, do not wear tartan. Even the Irish Army (IDF) do not wear tartan kilts

I mean't that Irish soldiers, as in British Army and not Canadian Army, do not wear tartan. Even the Irish Army (IDF) do not wear tartan kilts

Ahh, well. For good reasons, I'm sure. In the case of our Irish Regt, I see no reason that we can't adapt and develop our own traditions and customs as we see fit, without any intent to bring dishonour or offence to the Irish military heritage.

Cheers

Davionn....
Looking at your pic & then at the RIR pictures.
Caubeen on yours appears to be over your left ear while the RIR piper has his "beret style" over the right... and the pipe band with their glengarys'

Is your pic from a negative & reversed?

geo said:
Davionn....
Looking at your pic & then at the RIR pictures.
Caubeen on yours appears to be over your left ear while the RIR piper has his "beret style" over the right... and the pipe band with their glengarys'

Is your pic from a negative & reversed?

No negative or reversal.  When I joined the regiment back in '92, we were told that 2IRRC were the only ones who did this, in deference to RIR. 
You'll notice the same from the pictures from jranrose.

Davionn

Davionn said:
No negative or reversal.  When I joined the regiment back in '92, we were told that 2IRRC were the only ones who did this, in deference to RIR. 
You'll notice the same from the pictures from jranrose.
Davionn
Uhh.... what pictures from jranrose?
there are no pictures from jranrose.

here is a pic of the Irish Rangers....

and here is some from your allied regiment... The Royal Irish Regiment (27th (Inniskilling) 83rd and 87th and Ulster Defence Regiment)

To me, these are all being worn "beret" style with the cap badge over the left eye and pulled down on the right side.

Five posts down rom my original post are the pictures from jranrose.

Like I said, 2IRRC is the only regiment (so I was told) that wears the caubeen over the left.

Davionn

Ah - seen.
The pictures are on "imageshack" and don't show on my PC.

I'm just curious but I'm joining the 2nd Irish regiment of Canada and I'm just curious... Do I have to wear a kilt? Can I choose to wear a different stress uniform? It's no big deal I'm just curious, also will I get a beret Aswell, I'm sorry to say this but I'm not sure what the Irish beret is called (sorry). The question is will I get a beret Aswell as the Irish beret?

bio819 said:
I'm just curious but I'm joining the 2nd Irish regiment of Canada and I'm just curious... Do I have to wear a kilt? Can I choose to wear a different stress uniform? It's no big deal I'm just curious, also will I get a beret Aswell, I'm sorry to say this but I'm not sure what the Irish beret is called (sorry). The question is will I get a beret Aswell as the Irish beret?

I guess some would consider a kilt a 'stress uniform'  ;)

The hat isn't a beret, it's a caubeen. You can make three berets with the amount of material in one. The word means 'old hat' but is derived from the Irish word for 'little cape'. Quite apt actually.

You'll find your comrades quite proud of both articles of kit and it's what sets them apart from the rest. In time you will too.

Don't get me wrong I will be honoured to wear the traditional uniform. I'm just curious on if you get a beret as well as caubeen, also I don't plan on staying with the 2nd Irish regiment of Canada.

Back