• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Iran Super Thread- Merged

The French military has stepped up training in an effort to prepare for war with Iran.
Special emphasis has been placed on:
1. Proper technique for laying down weapons
2. More upper body PT to make the raising of arms over head easier.

Sorry folks, this was just too good of an opportunity to resist! ;D

Mike Baker said:

My favourite quote from that article:

"Russia, which is building Iran's first nuclear reactor in the southern Russian city of Bushehr, has consistently warned against attacking the Islamic republic.  Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Alexander Losyukov has warned that a "bombing of Iran would ... end with catastrophic consequences."

Ah "Allies", aren't they such fun...  ::)

Thorvald said:
My favourite quote from that article:

"Russia, which is building Iran's first nuclear reactor in the southern Russian city of Bushehr, has consistently warned against attacking the Islamic republic.  Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Alexander Losyukov has warned that a "bombing of Iran would ... end with catastrophic consequences."

Ah "Allies", aren't they such fun...  ::)
See the mistake in that? The southern Russian city of Bushehr.  ;)

Mike Baker said:
See the mistake in that? The southern Russian city of Bushehr.  ;)

Ah damn, you took all the fun away :)  I was wondering who would catch that little Free-Press slip-up....

As I recall, Bushehr is about 250 miles SOUTH of Tehran!

Will Russian aspirations never cease eh  ;D

P.S. Aren't these the same reactors that I remember the Germans building back in the mid seventies (yes I still remember what was on TV back then, I'm a cold war kid too), then they halted construction when the Iranian Revolution occurred (thank god).  Then Iraq bombed the bejesus out of them.

In the eventuality, I wonder who's side they'll take?

The plot thickens, from Globe and Mail

Reproduced under the Provisions of the Ninth Intergalactic Protocol

Sarkozy calls for stronger sanctions against Iran

[size=10pt] ANGELA CHARLTON

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

September 20, 2007 at 10:06 PM EDT

PARIS — French President Nicolas Sarkozy accused Iran directly of seeking nuclear weapons Thursday and suggested tougher sanctions against the Mideast country.

Mr. Sarkozy, who has toughened the French position on Iran since taking office in May, called the possibility of an Iranian bomb “unacceptable.”

Mr. Sarkozy was expected to discuss sanctions with other world leaders at the UN General Assembly next week.

If current sanctions are not sufficient, Mr. Sarkozy said, “I want stronger sanctions,” he said in a televised interview. But he insisted that France does not want to see tensions lead to war.

The United States and other world powers suspect Tehran of seeking nuclear weapons, while Tehran insists it only wants nuclear technology to produce electricity. Two rounds of UN sanctions have failed to end the deadlock.

“It's a very difficult matter, but France does not want war,” Mr. Sarkozy said. He said negotiations with Iran were still possible.

Mr. Sarkozy, known for his frank manner, dispensed with diplomatic niceties when referring to Iran's nuclear activities.

“Iran is trying to acquire a nuclear bomb. I say to the French, 'It's unacceptable,”' Mr. Sarkozy said.

“How can we convince (the Iranians) to renounce this project as the international community has convinced North Korea and Libya? Through discussion, dialogue, sanctions,” he said.

Mr. Sarkozy stepped back slightly from comments by Foreign Minister Bernard Kouchner on Sunday that the world should “prepare for the worst” in Iran, specifically “war.” Amid criticism, Mr. Kouchner later softened that, insisting he just wanted to underline the gravity of the Iranian nuclear problem.

“I would not have used the word 'war,”' Mr. Sarkozy said Thursday.

“How can we convince (the Iranians) to renounce this project as the international community has convinced North Korea and Libya? Through discussion, dialogue, sanctions,” he said.

Mr. Kouchner, in a speech in Washington Thursday, expanded on the recommendation by Mr. Sarkozy for tightening sanctions.

“An Iran with a military nuclear capability is, for us, an unacceptable prospect,” he said, speaking in English. “If sanctions without dialogue can only lead to confrontation, dialogue without sanctions is unfortunately tantamount to weakness.”

I see this as all a lot of posturing by the French.  I think they still want to feel like they're involved in International affairs beyond the UN.  It will be interesting to see however whether the current French Prez is just another fence-sitter ala Chirac, or if he'll actually surprise everyone by taking a stance, getting his country involved in something, opposed to just talking about it at great length and making a stink about it in the UN.

Bobby,

Theres an old saying - At breakfast, the chicken is involved but the pig is commited.

France would not be the chicken, but the Magpie sitting on the gate.

As long as they are not opposing the good guys at the UN, I think that's the
best we can count on.

I don't think Chirac was a fence-sitter. I think he was duplicitous.

( My opinion only) - No relevant documents..... ;D

Nicolas Sarkozy isn't Jacques Chirac by any means! Not even close.
He wants action, he wants to undertake big reforms both in internal politics and in foreign politics. In some ways it seems that he wants to generate movement and eventually successes on the foreign front in order to help the much needed internal reforms. He is very politically dominant right now in France and there isn't much political opposition in front of him, except from the usual leftist actors (unions...). He will probably align his positions more closely on US positions on many fronts...  For the next year or so, he will lead France foreign policy has he sees fit, and that might be really surprising from those of us who doesn't follow french politics up close.

If Sarkozy wants to make changes, he will do them in the 1st two years of his mandate, while he still enjoys the support of a population that acknowledges that there is something rotten in the state of the state.  The unions might flex their muscle but, I figure, he stands a chance of success..... or does he?

watch what happens when the left encourage the minorities and unions to oppose the changes coming....there's going to be royal hell to pay, and I think in the end Sarkozy will triumph, but at what price?

well... as a template against which we can compare
Mrs Thatcher & the coal miners
Mr Reagan and the Air traffic controllers

I think we are going to find his approach much like his approach when he was "Security Minister"(?) and there was rioting in the streets. It could get pretty brutal with the minorities, especially if they push back.....read "deportation".

probably will break a few eggs before things are straightened up BUT, if you wait... it'll only get worse

I think I'll post this here, rather than start a new thread.

Iran's parliament votes to label CIA, U.S. Army 'terrorist' groups

(CNN) -- The Iranian parliament on Saturday voted to designate the United States' Central Intelligence Agency and the U.S. Army as terrorist organizations, IRNA, the country's state-run news agency, reported.

The CIA and the U.S. Army "trained terrorists and supported terrorism, and they themselves are terrorists," the parliament said, according to IRNA.

The Iranian parliament said the condemnation was based on "known and accepted" standards of terrorism from international regulations, including the U.N. charter.

The parliament said it condemns the "aggressions by the U.S. Army, particularly in Iraq and Afghanistan" and calls on the United Nations to "intervene in the global problem of U.S. prisons in Guantanamo Bay, Abu Ghraib and secret jails in other countries," IRNA reported, quoting a statement from Iranian lawmakers.

The Iranian parliament also decried the CIA's and U.S. Army's involvement in the 1945 bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki in World War II, U.S. involvement in the Balkans, Vietnam and the U.S. support of Israel.

Of the condemnation, Paul Gimigliano, a CIA spokesman, said, "There are some things that don't even deserve comment. This is one."

National Security Council spokesman Gordon Johndroe said he declined to comment "on non-binding resolutions passed by parliaments in countries with dubious records on human rights, democracy and that are state sponsors of terror."

There was no immediate response from the U.S. State Department.

Washington and U.S. military leaders have long accused Iran of training and equipping insurgents in Iraq. The United States and Iran have not had formal diplomatic relations since 1980 after Iranian militants stormed the U.S. Embassy in Tehran and held Americans hostage for 444 days.

The Iranian lawmakers' condemnation was in apparent retaliation for the U.S. Senate's resolution Wednesday requesting that the United States designate Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps, or Quds Force, as a foreign terrorist organization.

The Senate resolution passed a day after Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad told the U.N. General Assembly that an agreement reached last month between his country and the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) over its disputed nuclear program has, in the Iranian view, settled the matter.

Iran says its nuclear program is necessary for civilian energy production. The United States and other Western nations have accused Tehran of trying to build a nuclear weapon.

Hmm... so now army.ca's U.S military members are "terrorists."   ::)

Edit: edited to put a section of the article in bold letters.
So does this mean that the Iranian parliment considers Canadians, French, British......etc .. who served in the Balkans terrorists also?

Sabre rattling, however Iran's day is coming, and sooner than later.

Wes

Back