• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Iran Moves Into Afghanistan

salam said:
Okay i was pretty offended by this comment.

Palestinians are involved with a very real conflict with Isreal...I am not talking about what you think about the conflict but it is fact that it exists.  For you to brush aside the Palestinian struggle and the Israeli struggle for that matter as being against a "fabricated enemy" does complete dishonour to those on both sides who live everyday in this
I don't think he mentioned brushing aside the Israeli struggle or said it had a fabricated enemy..

That being said, it's clear you support Palestine quite a bit, my question would be to you, since you have no problems sharing your views, what Palestinian political party do you prefer? If none, why do you support Palestine so much? What do you perceive Israel doing to worsen the conflict other than trying to stay alive? Do you have a problem with Iran having nuclear power or nuclear weapons?
horrible situation but most especially to those who have lost their lives to it, below i have quoted an article by the bbc on palestinian deaths in 2006, and if we want to talk about these topics being personal to the people on this forum, i agree, of these 660 palestinians I knew 4 of them personally (one was political but the other three were not). 
Were these 4 people you know by chance men in between the age of 18-44? If one was political, what was he doing politically that made him a target?
I have no problem discussing my views, most are not set in stone and i am open to learning a lot and I have a lot of respect for people that chose to have an opinion (and it most certainly does not have to match my  own) but I cannot overlook the disrespect to the dead of my own..as I know for sure that none of you would tolerate this either
In absolutely no way did he disrespect the dead. Such overboard claims work in the public media arena, but not here.

What motivated your husband to choose a career in the Canadian Armed Forces?

salam said:
Maybe what I am trying to get accross is that Hamas and Hezbollah does not equal Palestine and Lebanon.  And the entire populations of these countries are not walking zombies who just take orders and all want to see the distruction of Israel.
Of course, but Hamas is still there and represents Palestine. Democratically. Placing a Hamas' constitutional inclusion of the required destruction of Israel right to the top of the priority list in said government (not that it wasn't there before, but it solidified it). So if they are not zombies, why don't they clean their house up a bit and get rid of the terrorist groups? Is that Israel or the Wests fault that these non-zombied people won't fight for their country? I am curious.

Dare said:
I don't think he mentioned brushing aside the Israeli struggle or said it had a fabricated enemy..

That being said, it's clear you support Palestine quite a bit, my question would be to you, since you have no problems sharing your views, what Palestinian political party do you prefer? If none, why do you support Palestine so much? What do you perceive Israel doing to worsen the conflict other than trying to stay alive? Do you have a problem with Iran having nuclear power or nuclear weapons?Were these 4 people you know by chance men in between the age of 18-44? If one was political, what was he doing politically that made him a target?In absolutely no way did he disrespect the dead. Such overboard claims work in the public media arena, but not here.

What motivated your husband to choose a career in the Canadian Armed Forces?

I have never read a single post full of such assumptions:
1. To support Palestine does not equal supporting a particular political party.  I support the right of the Palestinians to self-determination, what I see as a fundamental right of any and all nations.  And no he did not mention brushing aside the Israeli struggle, I DID because I refuse to see things through only one perspective and understand that BOTH peoples are suffering. 
2.  "What do you perceive Israel doing to worsen the conflict other than trying to stay alive?" Here we go with the minute someone says they support Palestine the why do you hate Israel so much...I never even gave my views on the state of Israel, but I will say that like I support the right of Palestinians to self-determination so do I support the right of Israelis to self-determination.  But at the end of the day I support the pursuit of diplomacy and human decency in reaching a peaceful situation for both Palestinians and Israelis.
3. Nice remark about the male 18-44 thing, the article I posted breaks down the demographics of the dead and negates this myth.
4. This is not a thread where you all get to throw every personal question you want at me, it has a topic, if you want to speak to me personally please PM me.

Wesley (Over There) said:
Firstly, welcome to army.ca

In this war, it is us against them, they even call it that, because there is no PC here, and thats how it is. The infidel or kufar against the extreme true believers. Thats what hapened on 11 Sep 01, Kuta Beach etc, just to name a couple. What do you think this war is about, and why its happening? Lets here your views.

We know Iran is the West's next biggest worry, and its just a matter of time til there is a BIG clash. The nation is currently radicalised as if it was one giant hornets nest which as fell from a tree, and there we are, barefoot standing next to it. You don't have to be a rocket scientist ot figure that out.

Just my opinion, here at the coalface of the matter, and I hope being here and living the daily onslaught adds to some sense of reality of whats going on, compared to any armchair SMEs out there who lean towards the enemy's beliefs, and may have the 'real picture' of course from their sources, say Al Jeezera ad Al Zahraa, or other media forms which bat for the other side.

I watch AJ and CNN daily. Two different stories. One non-bias, the other, right out of this world.

Cheers,

Wes

Please excuse the late reply, I haven't had time to reply as quickly as I would have liked (this is the first forum I have ever participated on so bear with me as i get used to it)

Your question on war being us against them, when I said my comment I was not exactly talking about war, I was talking more about the idea that many believe that there is this huge divide between east and west.  If you are familiar with Edward Said's work then you know where I am coming from, basically that I believe that divide is false.  I am going to be the first to admit that I do not think I will be able to express myself fully here.  I don;t support the clash of civilizations theory, I think that this rhetoric used to reach the masses (used by all players i mean) and often covers a more complex power relations (economic and such) paradigm.

I also think our disagreement is going to stem that I do not see CNN or AJ as credible news sources, I believe actually that they are in fact very similar in their approach to news and I cannot agree with you that any one of them is non-bias!

I wish u luck on your deployment and I look forward to hearing more of your perspective as you most certainly have an advantage on the situation in iraq.

Salam, Palestine will never see peace or to achieve its goals unless it abandons violence. Once that happens I think both people will prosper. Unfortunately the Palestinians want nothing less than Israel proper. The Israelis are there to stay. They arent going to leave the land. Meanwhile Palestinians have few economic prospects and a very bleak future.

Okay guys, I just wanted to let you know that at this point in time it is unfeasible for me to keep up with all these posts, I am not trying to ignore at all, I will contribute what I can.  To tell you the truth I was only hoping to be a participant of the thread not the topic..and so I will from now on try and act accordingly.

Thanks!

salam said:
To tell you the truth I was only hoping to be a participant of the thread not the topic

Yeah, well that is how most every middle eastern topic goes.  An Israeli oriented pissing match.  However, if you get a chance, check out some of the older threads.  Perhaps you would have some insight on the topics that has not been touched on already.  Be warned, there is a heap of reading to get through.  Bonne chance.

So, in the spirit of staying on track...

salam said:
I believe that the role of Iran in Afghanistan is actually a step in the right direction.  I believe strongly in regional partners contributing to regional problems, Iran has a cultural, lingual and historical closeness to Afghanistan and under the right conditions it could help contribute to the rebuilding of Afghanistan and more than anyone Iran has only to gain from a strong and stable Afghanistan. 

Having read all of our misgivings and concerns for Iran and their many ulterior motives, would you still feel that they could play a genuinely helpful role in Afghanistan?  And if so, how would you see them best contribute? 

Hi salam, I hope you do get a chance to stick around. As zipperhead says the Middle East is tough territory to jump into, especially with alternative opinions.

Cheers.

Back