• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

IR - Type of Living Quarters Provided?

3green

Inactive
Reaction score
Are there any rules or guidelines for the type of living quarters while on IR?

I am on IR, living in the SQs. I'm on a course to become an instructor at this location.

I'm being evicted from the SQs due to a large influx of students that there is barely sufficient space for in the SQs. Students on course have priority in the SQ (regular students, not 'course members' like me who will become instructors here.)

I'm being moved into an "ELQ" (I believe it means "extended living quarters") which is a small PMQ, furnished like a pay by the hour motel. I don't really care about the welfare grade decor, but I am sharing the ELQ with another guy. I'm likely on IR for another 3.5 years and if I could, I'd rather not share a single bathroom with another guy. I've done enough of that and a small amount of quality of life would be appreciated.

All the other people on IR at my rank level have their own personal ELQ; it's just me and another guy doubling. They have extra ELQs sitting empty, but I'm told by the admin people that they want to keep a few ELQ's in reserve just in case they have people of different ranks on IR - so they don't have to double up a Private and a Major together in the same ELQ.

Are there any regs or guidelines on what conditions a member on IR should have?

CBI 208.997 points you to the NJC Travel Directive to define "quarters at public expense."  http://www.njc-cnm.gc.ca/directive/index.php?sid=93&hl=1&lang=eng#tc-tm_3_1

I see nothing in there that says you are entitled to a private bathroom....

However, I think he can appli to live on the economy if he wants. He may only be entitled to the amount quarters would cost him but he should be able to move to a single residence like an apartment.

IR accommodations are a slippery slope and for the most part, generally not administered the same way at every Base/Wing across the CF.  Bottom line, if the Base/Wing Comd deems that the accommodations are "suitable" for IR use, then you're stuck.

You can always ask if it is possible to move out onto the economy into a 1 Bdrm or raise the question of why you are being treated different from the other people on IR.

Thanks a lot for the info. I have volunteered to be put on the local economy if all their available residences become full and they need the space. 

Tcm621 said:
However, I think he can apply to live on the economy if he wants. He may only be entitled to the amount quarters would cost him but he should be able to move to a single residence like an apartment.

If he was authorized to live out on the economy he would get the full rate for that geographic area as per the CBI.  Commercial accommodations are only supposed to be used if appropriate government accommodations are full.

DAA is spot on saying that every base has a different standard as the NJC Travel Directive does not specifically address IR.  On the bases I've worked I've seen a number of people ask for authority to move out of IR Quarters on the base and into an apartment (mostly due to cost of rations and cut ration entitlements), and all were denied.

Good to know. I vaguely remember seeing an order which spells out what are considered "accomodations" but all I could find was the NJC order which says "a single room, in a safe environment, conveniently located and comfortably equipped." and the CBI which references the NJC order. the NJC order also states "Where employees are in travel status at military bases, unless program-related or security reasons dictate the use of specific accommodation, an employee's request for alternate commercial or private non-commercial accommodation shall not be unreasonably denied." Which be the justification needed.

Tcm621 said:
Good to know. I vaguely remember seeing an order which spells out what are considered "accomodations" but all I could find was the NJC order which says "a single room, in a safe environment, conveniently located and comfortably equipped." and the CBI which references the NJC order. the NJC order also states "Where employees are in travel status at military bases, unless program-related or security reasons dictate the use of specific accommodation, an employee's request for alternate commercial or private non-commercial accommodation shall not be unreasonably denied." Which be the justification needed.

Both the NJC Directive and the DND Living Accommodation Instruction have no teeth and most Bases/Wings will just disregard the contents and do whatever they want.

I had the NJC v.s. CFTDI battle awhile ago regarding "a single room, in a safe environment, conveniently located and comfortably equipped" statement when a member on TD for 3 weeks ended up in a room with 20 bunk beds and no place to secure their kit.  They were kind enough to tell me that the Base Comd deemed those accommodations to be suitable.....    :facepalm:

But the accompanying civilian was gratiously provided with a Suite, complete with sitting room and all the amenities.  Oh well.....

Back