• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

IR Postings [Merged]

Pat in Halifax said:
It may have changed recently but when I was IR posted to Ottawa in Dec 2010, I was encouraged (by the Brookfield agent here in Halifax) to set up a meeting with the WO at the BOR at Stad. They cannot process anything but as far as I know, as every individual will have different circumstances, they can direct you to specific articles within the ref and advise you on what may be coming. I was also 'assigned' a MCpl on arrival in Ottawa...again, the policy may have changed.

Pat, your response is true.  The Clerks will "administer" the IR portion (ie; entitlements and benfits) but the relocation part is strictly Brookefield.  Sect 11.2 of the CFIRP Manual (APS 2012/2013 Version).

Brookefield will look after TNL (Travel to New Location), Shipment of UAB, Shipment of Vehicle and an HHT if necessary.  OR Clerks will look after obtainiing the approval for the IR and briefing the member on what IR Benefits apply and are available at the new location.

Fair enough and I see what you are saying. Funny enough, of the 3 examples, I had to arrange two of them on my own (UAB shipment thru CMTT and vehicle shipment) though I was reimbursed for any arrangements tied to either of these. I must say, in the time between my posting to Ottawa and coming back late last summer, Brookfield (or atleast the agent I was assigned) had changed their attitude dramatically. In my after move report I actually stated that they could get rid of 10 agent XXXXs for every one agent XXXX they retained.

Also, here is the DIN link though I suspect you already have it?
http://cmp-cpm.forces.mil.ca/dgcb/dcba/engraph/CF_Integrated_Relocation_Program_e.asp?sidesection=2&sidecat=99

Ill ask my question in this already started post instead of starting my own:

I possibly will be going on IR to Ottawa this summer. I have a military service spouse who will not be getting posted and will be staying in Petawawa. I was told today that there are housing restrictions for IR. IE, I was told you are only allowed to rent a 1 bedroom apt.

The housing suggestions I received were for Extended Stay Canada which charges $1600 a month for a furnished 1 Bdrm incl utilities.

But I have found 2 Bdrm apts closer to my course, that are furnished and for cheaper prices.

The reason I ask, my wife and I have a toddler, and if she were to go on exercise/tasking/course it would be best to have a somewhat functionig apt, vice a spruced up Hotel Suite.

Last I heard the rules for IR postings were one bedroom rentals only. 

HULK_011 said:
Ill ask my question in this already started post instead of starting my own:

I possibly will be going on IR to Ottawa this summer. I have a military service spouse who will not be getting posted and will be staying in Petawawa. I was told today that there are housing restrictions for IR. IE, I was told you are only allowed to rent a 1 bedroom apt.

The housing suggestions I received were for Extended Stay Canada which charges $1600 a month for a furnished 1 Bdrm incl utilities.

But I have found 2 Bdrm apts closer to my course, that are furnished and for cheaper prices.

The reason I ask, my wife and I have a toddler, and if she were to go on exercise/tasking/course it would be best to have a somewhat functionig apt, vice a spruced up Hotel Suite.

Carefully review all the rules on IR.  I am not an IR guru, but I recall that having a family member live with you can lose your IR benefits.

dapaterson said:
Carefully review all the rules on IR.  I am not an IR guru, but I recall that having a family member live with you can lose your IR benefits.

Unless this has changed:

Dependants who visit, reside with or occupy overnight at the temporary accommodation location can do so to an accumulative period of 30 days in a 365 day period. At the 30 day cumulative period, the entitlement to separation expense for that restricted or prohibited posting terminates.

Refs: CBI 208.997(5)(l) and QR & O 26.02

http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dgcb-dgras/ps/db-as/faq/se-faf-eng.asp

Appreciate the links and the help! Answers my question. Not a big deal, either way!

DAA said:
Clerks in your OR are "forbidden" on providing relocation advice.  It has to come from Brookefield.  Also, I think they removed "Pet Shipment" from the entitlements but you can pretty much take what ever will fit into your vehicle.

I just moved my dog and you can still claim pet shipment but it comes from the personal envelope. So basically it comes out fo your posting allowance but before taxes.

In regards to the question on renting your own place (which is what I wanted to do in Montreal when I was posted IR there) the answer I was given was "no".

They preferred I rent a fully furnished place in Hochelaga Maisonneuve for $1300 rather than the measly $850 I was going to rent myself my house for.

Silly Army.  Also, I rent it out for $2200 a month now, unfurnished aside from applicances, nothing included.  I guess I was undercutting myself.

I have a place I'm ready to rent, but there are two questions I need to figure out before I can give a definite answer to the Realtor.

1. Anybody have an example of a good escape clause? An example I have is "a 30 day notice is accepted upon proof of purchase of a new home, proof of cancellation for a military course, or proof of posting relocation." Any other suggestions or things I should include?

2. Im not posted tell 21 Jul, but for obvious reasons the owner would like someone in immediately. I already told her June will be no go, but is it possible to have the move in date 1 Jul for IR, IOT to close the place?

PMedMoe said:
Unless this has changed:

Dependants who visit, reside with or occupy overnight at the temporary accommodation location can do so to an accumulative period of 30 days in a 365 day period. At the 30 day cumulative period, the entitlement to separation expense for that restricted or prohibited posting terminates.

Refs: CBI 208.997(5)(l) and QR & O 26.02

http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dgcb-dgras/ps/db-as/faq/se-faf-eng.asp

Moe:
That was purely for the daily separation expense which no longer exists for those on IR. Prior to it's demise, If your spouse visited, on the form you submitted at the end of the month (can't remember the form #), you had to indicate this, and those days were abated from your daily allowance. Some didn't do this but for the sake of a few bucks, I didn't bother risking it.
Hulk:
I am going to suggest that you could probably ask a real estate freind/family member this exact question, no?

You make a good point on asking a realtor friend, but so many are on IR, and pretty much everyone is told to have an escape clause, that Im sure someone has a solid example that they have had to use.

'Most' places leasing to DND/gov't employees (in Ottawa anyway) are aware of this and should have one ready to add. I actually looked for my rental agreement from when I was in Ottawa (I am anal about keeping stuff like that!) but couldn't find it. If you don't get a response in the coming days, I still keep in touch with the landlord I had there and I can ask her to email the form she used. Her building (about 150 units) was about 60% CF on IR! She knew the rules and what was coming down the pipes better than the majority of us!
Good Luck.

I really didn't look forward to going and struggled a bit while I was there but looking back on the near 2 years, it wasn't so bad. Many will tell you it is a beautiful city and I wont argue that fact but I bet you Beijing is a beautiful city too but I wouldn't want to work there for two years!!!

Pat

The escape clause I wrote is one I saw from a local IR rental unit in Ottawa. So Im fairly confident its a well written clause, but would love a second opinion! Appreciate the advice... and I dont agree with the Ottawa/Bejing comparison.. I love Ottawa!

One of the places I was looking at renting is apparently an apt for a Senator... I jokingly asked if it was Mike Duffy's...

But I love Ottawa; The nightlife, the culture, and the political intrigue... and ill be in the middle of all of it!

HULK_011 said:
I have a place I'm ready to rent, but there are two questions I need to figure out before I can give a definite answer to the Realtor.
1. Anybody have an example of a good escape clause? An example I have is "a 30 day notice is accepted upon proof of purchase of a new home, proof of cancellation for a military course, or proof of posting relocation." Any other suggestions or things I should include?
2. Im not posted tell 21 Jul, but for obvious reasons the owner would like someone in immediately. I already told her June will be no go, but is it possible to have the move in date 1 Jul for IR, IOT to close the place?

Check with your current Base as I believe that CFIRP Art 7.04 (Rent in Advance) does apply to personnel proceeding on IR.  At least it did when I was posted to Ottawa years ago.

Your 30-day clause looks good.  Just a basic statement within the paragraph dealing with "Early Termination" needs to read "........can be terminated on 30-days written notice".

Thanks for the help again DAA. First and Last is approved, I was more wondering if they will let me rent the place for the whole month of July, vice just providing enough to cover when I move to Ottawa on the 21 Jul. I cant see why they wont, but didn't want to commit to something I couldn't back up.

I moved with wife and 2 kids to petawawa in April 2017. My wife couldnt find a job in petawawa and she wants to move back to Toronto and get back to work. will i be eligible for IR if she moves back to toronto?

No.  IR is only applicable if you move and your family stays in location.

Does anyone know the location of the policy/ direction on COS dates? I have a subordinate who is asking how long a COS date can be postponed due to the inability to get an PMQ. I have been trying to find the policy on this. I have checked the CBI'S etc, but I can't seem to find it.

Thanks in advance

As I recall: Between commanding officers, a month; more than that and DGMC gets involved.

Don't have the reference handy, sorry - but it may be on the message.

Back