• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

IR Postings [Merged]

Every Base/Unit/Det should have an IR policy document which every person who is on IR is required to sign.  This document lays out the entitlements for that particular geographical location.  Check with the applicable OR to see a copy.

And this just into my email:

Could you please forward an email to the Chief Clerks down to the clerks who are responsible for TR/IR claims that the meal rate has increased effective 1 Oct 07

NEW: $23.34 effective 01 Oct 07

As per the DCBA Aide Memoire - when R&Q not available (commercial accommodation) the high rate SA is equal to 65% of the Treasury Board dinner meal rate which is $35.90 therefore 65% is $23.34.

Incidentals have not changed for low-rate - remains at $13.00.

Whoooo!! A few more pennies towards caffeine!! (I will not say what type again ... too many pervs on the boards ...)

ArmyVern said:
And this just into my email:

Whoooo!! A few more pennies towards caffeine!! (I will not say what type again ... too many pervs on the boards ...)

Sooooo........you are not willing to tell the masses what you use for a stimulant with exception that it may/maynot include caffeine in some form. That form being the issue in contention, because you insinuate that the "pervs" will misconstrue its' original "intent" ?

I hope this has not been covered but according to my search it has not. I was wondering if anyone on these boards has done this before?
My wife and I (no kids) want to sell our current home and move our household to our final destination 1000km away, and I agree with her (many reasons). Unfortunately I have to stay back and live with a friend for a long time. I do not retire for 8 years. I'm expecting a posting next year or the latest the following year(not the final location).
Would I get IR on that posting?
I also understand that its too soon too qualify for a paid IPR which is OK as its our decision to do this early.

Thoughts?

I would think that if you and your wife sell and she moves away, you will not be entitled to IR on a posting as you would be living apart already.

I do know of a few people whose spouses did not go on posting with them and who do not receive IR allowances.

Thats a good point PMedMoe, I wonder if anyone knows that for sure? Do you know why on your second point the members were not getting IR? Was that the same reason?

Cheers

topo4u20 said:
Do you know why on your second point the members were not getting IR? Was that the same reason?

Yes.  They already lived apart when they were posted.

topo4u20 said:
I hope this has not been covered but according to my search it has not. I was wondering if anyone on these boards has done this before?
My wife and I (no kids) want to sell our current home and move our household to our final destination 1000km away, and I agree with her (many reasons). Unfortunately I have to stay back and live with a friend for a long time. I do not retire for 8 years. I'm expecting a posting next year or the latest the following year(not the final location).
Would I get IR on that posting?
I also understand that its too soon too qualify for a paid IPR which is OK as its our decision to do this early.

Thoughts?

You are not entitled to IR.  You and your wife have made a conscious decision to sell your home and for her to move.  The CF did not post you.  The CF did not cause you to make this decision.  You are responsible for your own actions here, and not entitled to any compensation. 

Another point that you will now like to cover, would be your entitlements in eight years, when you do retire.  As you will no longer have a home to sell, and the current move by your wife is not covered, you will not be compensated for any fees involved in the sale and purchase of a home on your retirement.  You will likely only be compensated for your transportation and movement of a few hundred pounds of personal luggage, to your final place of residence on leaving the CF. 

If your wife moves now, you will be held holding all the costs of her move, not be entitled to IR, and have very few entitlements on Release. 

It is a Loose, loose, loose situation.

Thanks for the input G.W. I pretty much figured IR would not happen and I was aware of the final move not covered.
Its a difficult decision for sure but one that will be better for us in the end. We can purchase a home that is 1/3 the price of what we are in now and be in a place we want to be for good. The biggest downside is being apart for so long but we are mature enough to handle that. Glad to hear there are others in this same situation across the country.

In that case, I was faced with an identical situation.  If the home in the new location is so cheap, refinance your current home and purchase the "second" residence.  For my last few years I was paying two mortgages, and with the exception of not being able to collect IR, I was able to use all the entitlements offered on Retirement.  When I sold my home in Pet, the money from the sale paid off the mortgage on the other home in the final location.  My move was covered, as were the fees for the new purchase of the new home; the receipts I had to keep until such time as I Released.

I don't know how regulations may have changed, so it would be something that you would be advised to look into. 

Two mortgages made finances rather tight for a couple of years, but now I am mortgage free.

George Wallace said:
You are not entitled to IR.  You and your wife have made a conscious decision to sell your home and for her to move.  The CF did not post you.  The CF did not cause you to make this decision.  You are responsible for your own actions here, and not entitled to any compensation. 

Another point that you will now like to cover, would be your entitlements in eight years, when you do retire.  As you will no longer have a home to sell, and the current move by your wife is not covered, you will not be compensated for any fees involved in the sale and purchase of a home on your retirement.  You will likely only be compensated for your transportation and movement of a few hundred pounds of personal luggage, to your final place of residence on leaving the CF. 

If your wife moves now, you will be held holding all the costs of her move, not be entitled to IR, and have very few entitlements on Release. 

It is a Loose, loose, loose situation.
You need to throttle back a bit George
That doesn't sound right, and I'll have to check to be sure, but I do recall being told last year at the release section something very different.
IIRC the advice was that if the member has designated the point he's moving his wife to, and buying a house there, as the point of release, then there is compensation for that move, but there will not be for any in between, but you would be correct on the assumption that there would be no entitlement to IR as the separation is somewhat self imposed.
kind of the reverse to the situation I'm in. I couldn't afford to move my wife and stepdaughter to where I was living, but marrying someone that lives far away by itself does not constitute an entitlement to IR. The way the CC explained the basic premise of IR to me back then (3 years ago) kind of makes sense, you have to be collocated and the military require you to move away before  there is IR compensation.

George...great idea on the 2 mortgage idea but definitely cant afford that one.

Petard.....I think what you mean is the IPR (Intended place of residence)allocation which is upon release? From what I gather on this you can apply for it but only if you are within 5 years of CRA or have a min of 20 years of service. And from what I understand its alot of paperwork. If this move goes ahead I will definitely keep all receipts just in case but I presume if its not applied for at the time of move then it would be invalid.
Thanks so far for all the great thoughts!

Gents after spending 22 years in the service I am now recieving my second posting, and I ned some advice. I am coming back to Halifax from the Montreal Area. As I come back I am not to certain that I will be moving the family here as my children have one year left in CGEP and High school also my wife who works on a contract basis renewed until Jan 2014. So here is my problem. I cannot see my family coming back with me  and I have told my CM this, but do I still have entitlement to a HHT? For all of the admin sme's what am I entitled to.  I am not certain about IR in Halifax and I have not been to see a reloc spec and won't see them until my message is cut next week. Conflict of interest/ethics aside, I in partnership with a friend have a building here in Halifax that has 6 apartments .There is a company that takes care of this for us, am I allowed to rent one of them? The next question is I have a dog of whom my wife has said "it will simply die without you around" and I tend to believe this as the girl has been with me for 10 years and when I go to the field it wimpers until I come back. Can I bring her with me, it will make my life much better. I have talked with some people but there seems to be many differening opinions and no one can pinpoint that in this..QR&O/DAOD/CFIRP/ etc . So these are my questions, can you with your informed wisdom please advise.

Two postings in 22 years?  Wow.... 

Anyway, yes, you are entitled to an HHT.  Not sure about taking the dog, but I'd do it anyway, if I were you.

As far as renting an apartment in a building you are half owner of, I can't see why you state "conflict of interest/ethics aside".  I'd think the powers that be would think quite differently of your rent also being income to you.  Just my  :2c:

Have you looked at the IRP Guide? I'm currently in the process, and am looking at an unaccompanied move

IRP Guide:
http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dgcb-dgras/pd/rel-rei/aps-paa-2011/index-eng.asp

Sect 11.02, wrt Unaccompanied moves, IR and HHT

http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dgcb-dgras/pd/rel-rei/aps-paa-2011/chapter-chapitre-11-eng.asp#sec-11-02

A Relocation clerk (military) at your home Unit can answer this and all questions. If someone doesn't beat me to it, I will try to remember to PM you the CFIRP link from work tomorrow.

As I went to hit 'POST', I see someone "beat me to it".

Pat

Thanks Guys ....I know eh two postings but there were many but just two out of area...posting to other units within the GA were the norm. As far as the income/paying myself for the place thats what I said and I don't see myself living there anyways, I am older then the tenants who are mostly university students. But as always around the lunch table someone planted the seed when they said there was no guidance on it . As for the clerk, I haven't seen them yet as I hoped that maybe I would get some reponses here that would generate a question bank for me when I get there also as the message isn't generate ,my CM said monday next week when he gets back to work he will send it out, I didn't take the time to go see one. WRT my dog I am hoping to bring the old girl on the posting with me, coming home to an excited dog always makes me smile. Again Guys thanks
Cheers

Clerks in your OR are "forbidden" on providing relocation advice.  It has to come from Brookefield.  Also, I think they removed "Pet Shipment" from the entitlements but you can pretty much take what ever will fit into your vehicle.

DAA said:
Clerks in your OR are "forbidden" on providing relocation advice.  It has to come from Brookefield.  Also, I think they removed "Pet Shipment" from the entitlements but you can pretty much take what ever will fit into your vehicle.
It may have changed recently but when I was IR posted to Ottawa in Dec 2010, I was encouraged (by the Brookfield agent here in Halifax) to set up a meeting with the WO at the BOR at Stad. They cannot process anything but as far as I know, as every individual will have different circumstances, they can direct you to specific articles within the ref and advise you on what may be coming. I was also 'assigned' a MCpl on arrival in Ottawa...again, the policy may have changed.

Back