• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

iPhone data usage

infantryian

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey everyone.

My wife and I were considering getting iPhones, but the different data plans I was finding a little confusing. To any iPhone users out there how much data would you use in an average month.

Telus has a flex plan that includes 100mb for $10, but if you use more can automatically bump up. Would you say that 100mb a month is too small?

Thanks for letting me pick your brains.

My Wife and I share 1 GB per month (iPhone 3GS and a BB Curve). Neither of us are teenaged "Power Users", and we have never come close to hitting the 1 GB mark. My use consists of streaming music while sitting at my desk using some of the radio station apps, and settling the odd Cliff Claven argument over a Beer with Wikipedia, or checking the weather etc. The BB is much more data efficient than the iPhone mind you, but IMO, the BB Curve is pure crap compared to the iPhone. With 2 x iPhones however, that 1 GB would still cover it, but with a bit less breathing room. If you have the option of getting 100mb increments as you go you'd probably be way better off than having a chunk you never use.

Sapperian said:
Hey everyone.

My wife and I were considering getting iPhones, but the different data plans I was finding a little confusing. To any iPhone users out there how much data would you use in an average month.

Telus has a flex plan that includes 100mb for $10, but if you use more can automatically bump up. Would you say that 100mb a month is too small?

It depends alote one how you use your phone. Do you have WiFi at home? You can tap into your WiFi if indoors instead of using your data plan. Do you watch YouTube/movies on your phone? If so, no, it's not enough. If it's mostly used for Facebook and social media 100mb/month should be fine. I personally have a corporate package on my iPhone which gives me 6Gb/ month for 25$. Not sure who's ripping you off for 10$/ 100Mb, I'd say look for a deifferent carrier.

Oh, and an OT point. Mods, when is the Mobile version of this site gonna come?

Lots of good and easy to implement apps like Tapatalk etc out there. As I find myself using my iPhone more and more around the house to surf, I visit "pinch and zoom" Forums like this less and less.

armybuck041 said:

After Mike's divorce.

;D

Heheh, good answer Scott. :)

There is already a basic mobile version here:

http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php?wap

However the normal version works fine on an iPhone. To prove that point, I used my iPhone to post this.

armybuck041 said:

Lots of good and easy to implement apps like Tapatalk etc out there. As I find myself using my iPhone more and more around the house to surf, I visit "pinch and zoom" Forums like this less and less.

Don't forget, all the stuff Mike does for the site doesn't come cheap. If you would like to see special apps and features, you can always pony up and buy a subscription or some swag. ;)

100MB with an iPhone is likely not going to do the trick for you, even if you don't stream a lot of video and so on - UNLESS you have Wifi at home and make a point of using it wherever available. iPhones are definitely data-heavy.  Blackberry has a compression system that cuts down a lot of its data usage, but iPhones do not.

I have 500mb on my iphone plan and I was right up against it in the first few months I had it.  Now I'm using it a bit less not downloading any more apps, and making a point to try and be on wifi when possible and I am around 250-350mb per month.  Mostly use it for checking emails, some facebook and reading army.ca fourms along with some other random surfing.  Also listen to an AM radio app, but it doesn't seem to use too much.

I think the big question around data usage is... how often will you be using wifi? Unless I'm on the road, I'm pretty much always connected to a wireless hotspot, and so my data usage is low. I originally had the 6Gb/mo plan from Rogers when it came out... it's laughable, as you could never realistically use that much data. I'm now on a 500Mb/mo plan and have never exceeded it, though I use my iPhone many times in the run of a day. Again, this is because I am on wifi most of the time, so YMMV.

Well I will be using WiFi more often then not, but I would also like to be able to google at any time to prove people wrong and the such. Thanks for the advice though, I am hearing that while you don't need an astronomical amount, 100mb would probably be a little too low.

Thanks for the help.

I have a company iPhone with 500Mb. I use the phone constantly(on the road google maps, email and logging into dispatch software/ticket management). When I download apps and the like, I am usually on some WiFi connection. The only time I came close to hitting my cap was when I spent half the day streaming radio at a cottage.

Oh, and I installed the Tapatalk plugin on a few SMF forums I run. Seems to work great. The iPhone app is a couple bucks however.

Geez, I'm not looking forward to going back to Canada and signing up for a plan that limits your usage. I pay about the equivalent of $40 CDN here in the Netherlands, which gets me 150min/mth that can roll over one month, plus unlimited data usage in the Netherlands. If I paid $14 more, I could get unlimited throughout western Europe.

captloadie said:
Geez, I'm not looking forward to going back to Canada and signing up for a plan that limits your usage. I pay about the equivalent of $40 CDN here in the Netherlands, which gets me 150min/mth that can roll over one month, plus unlimited data usage in the Netherlands. If I paid $14 more, I could get unlimited throughout western Europe.

Yeah, its a well-known fact that we  get screwed here in Canada.

Mike Bobbitt said:
Heheh, good answer Scott. :)

There is already a basic mobile version here:

http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php?wap

However the normal version works fine on an iPhone. To prove that point, I used my iPhone to post this.

Same here. Never had issues viewing or reading.

Sapperian said:
Hey everyone.

Please remember that there is an eight time difference between mB and mb.

MB refers to mega bytes while mb refers to mega bits. A byte is 8 bits, so a byte is 8 times larger than a bit.

Be careful when you read the claims they can be misleading

I promise you that it was MB, not Mb. I didn't capitalize out of plain laziness. Mb is usually used for transfer speeds anyway. I would highly doubt a company would be able to get away with megabits as that is rarely used for data amount.

...and the good news to the OT conversation is that I have now installed the Tapatalk back-end package, so you can now browse in mobile style. I checked out the app and it's pretty decent.

Back