• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

iPhone data usage

I'm on Rogers and started with the 500MB data pack for $25.  I have a mix of wifi and 3G data usage and would normally sit in the 350-400MB zone with a combination of streaming music, e-mailing .pdf's, and mapping apps.  A couple of times I came close to 500MB and I actually ended up going to the 1 GB package ($5 more at $30) because I needed to tether my Macbook to my iPhone for data when I wasn't in a wi-fi zone, which has been more often, and tethering wasn't available with the 500MB package.  Since upgrading, I bounce between about 400-700MBs with the same kind of usage as before.

Cheers
G2G

SherH2A said:
MB refers to mega bytes while mb refers to mega bits.
If you want to get technical, mb would be millibit, a thoroughly useless unit of measure.  8)

Mike Bobbitt said:
...and the good news to the OT conversation is that I have now installed the Tapatalk back-end package, so you can now browse in mobile style. I checked out the app and it's pretty decent.

Damn!!

I come back today for a "Pinch and Zoom", and bam. Tapatalk enabled. Awesome!! Who's divorce lawyer do I need to Paypal a donation to?

armybuck041 said:
Damn!!

I come back today for a "Pinch and Zoom", and bam. Tapatalk enabled. Awesome!! Who's divorce lawyer do I need to Paypal a donation to?

Make it payable to Mike's bar bill.

Or you could just get a subscription to the site...

Sapperian said:
I promise you that it was MB, not Mb. I didn't capitalize out of plain laziness. Mb is usually used for transfer speeds anyway. I would highly doubt a company would be able to get away with megabits as that is rarely used for data amount.

I beg to differ with you, AT&T and Cingular and Bell Canada used to, 5 years ot so ago,  transfer in Megabits. Unfortunately for them most people thought they were transfering megabytes, which just made more sense. But the agents when contacted were trained to refer to Mb as megabits. Its amazing how many people can't hear the difference betwwin a byte and a bit.

People couldn't understand why if they were to transfer 3 MB of data, that the transfer rate should be mega bytes not mega bits.

Lets face it, it was cheaper and more profitable to use a transfer rate of mega bits, then to provide a new network vapable of transfer at megabytes.

Just follow the money

Mike Bobbitt said:
...and the good news to the OT conversation is that I have now installed the Tapatalk back-end package, so you can now browse in mobile style. I checked out the app and it's pretty decent.
Fantastic! I just might subscribe after all :)

Back