• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Introducing Maintenance

Mike Bobbitt

Administrator
Staff member
Owner
Directing Staff
Reaction score
Folks, as of today, the game has a new dimension: Maintenance

This new attribute helps define how well you maintain your equipment, and a higher Maintenance will prevent equipment loss during missions.

Occasionally, when conducting a Mission, you will be notified that a piece of equipment has been damaged/destroyed. This equipment will then be removed from your inventory. Unlike consumables, damaged equipment can be any piece of equipment, even that coveted Leo 2!

Raising your Maintenance attribute will cut both the chance and the quantity of equipment lost during missions. Full details on the underlying math will come later, as there may be some tweaks to things as we move forward.

On the bright side, I have introduced 10 new medals to collect, all of which provided bonuses to the new Maintenance attribute.

Thanks to everyone for supporting and playing!
Mike

If you lose a piece of equipment, does that mean you fail the mission?  Or do you lose it after the mission is completed?

Edited to add:. Just answered my own question.  I played a mission and got the typical error message afterwards, so of course I didn't get anything regarding what I had just played.  But when going back to the game I saw that I was short a TOW.  I knew I was saving up my MPs for a reason!  I like the new spin.  Thank you for your continued work with this, Mike.

I like it ...

{at least in theory... opinion may change once I start losing things }

The message shown when you complete a mission should include a note about any lost equipment.

Hi Mike

You need to shrink the Mtce column in the roster as it cuts off the successful missins column. How do you gain Mtce, and where can you find out what you lost, considering the majority of my missions generate the "error" message and I get no information?

Also liking the theory of it and probably not so much losing one of my Leo's  :(

EDIT: And as soon as I posted that I lost a Nyala and 2 sniper rifles :facepalm:

Just lost a C8, I need to gain a level so I can put some points into it.  Are you going to increase the number of points that you receive when you gain a level?

Just one question...  Is this going to effect pers as week? (Medics, Engineers, Artillerymen)

It should include pers as well as equipment. Think of it as pers cas who need to be sent home and replacements brought in to replace.

Yesterday, I did a mission, and only needed 150 xp to achieve next level. That part was all fine and dandy, except that as I completed the mission, I lost 2 of my 3 bomb disposal suits, which I can't afford to replace.(it will take me 10 days to replace both suits) So I moved on to other missions to use up my points. Along the way other items of interest were destroyed.  (btw, with my Merit Points I just gained I used to increase the new skill to my max of 6 points)
Today on my first mission I lost a C6(worth 80 to replace),  I only make 50 MilPoints a Day so this is kind of expensive.
In theory the use of Merit Points is a good idea, but if at even low levels one loses items as fast as I do, it isn't worth the pain.
It was fun to play till now.

Gave you some points.  On your issue however, please be patient.  Mike just rolled this out so if people are losing stuff too fast then no doubt he'll adjust the % or amount of kit destroyed.

Another suggestion would be to buy some MP to help support the site.

The percentages definitely need to be adjusted or it will make things very difficult for the new guys

Can you max out maintenance to make all items unbreakable, or will there always be some small chance an item will break?

I think there are only 2 issues that I see with maintenance right now:

1. You can have expendable items destroyed. These items are lost in a mission anyways, and the only way to prevent this is to have just the amount required for a mission available on hand which increases the server load as you buy expendables for every time you run the mission.

2. The morale hit is too high without anything to counter act it. I just lost 9 morale for having 3 items destroyed, which isn't a big deal since I can keep running low missions to bump it up again but there's nothing you can do to balance the morale. Everything in the morale system was carefully balanced, but until I've leveled quite a few times to get maintenance up, I'll be bleeding morale worse than before the -40 cap at missed CR. I think a reasonable morale hit would be -2 morale for any and all items destroyed, not -3 per item.

This puts an interesting spin on things. I definitely need to pay more attention to the mission summary pop-ups, I just realised I lost 3 LAV's on the last couple missions!

Thanks for the feedback folks. The idea is not to take the fun out of things so I've made a couple of adjustments:

• The Morale hit is now -2 per piece lost
  • I've added a 'protection factor' for lower level players, making it significantly less likely for them to lose equipment.

Back