• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Intelligence Officer / Operator

• Thread starter future_soldier
  • Start date
Frankopolous said:
Anyone able to give me some quick basic info about CFSMI in Kingston? ie: living quarters, base itself.

Im getting posted there next week as i finish my BMQ on Thursday; i've asked around at the school and everyone has been telling me it's nice, but im getting mixed feedback that it's going to be Green Sector all over again...just looking for a quick tid bit about it thanks.

Speaking as someone who just finished course there, the accommodations are quite nice, one to a room.

As for the course itself - it's difficult. There are many things that, upon initially seeing them, you will think are nonsensical and silly. Trust me when I say that it all comes together at the end of the course and not to dump any information that you're given. Get close with your course mates, find out your strengths and weaknesses (everyone has them) and help each other out as much as you can. Group study is not only your friend, it is absolutely crucial. If we wouldn't have done group studying, I know there would have been many more training failures. You will have some long days and long nights.

The course itself is rewarding, but be prepared to jump into it head first for 4 months, to sit through hours upon hours of power point slides and still be able to pull out the required info and put it to practical use. Luckily, I found that the course staff were phenomenally professional and if you require extra help and make it known, they will provide it.

PM me if you've got any more questions.

I'd like some clarification on training to become a part-time Int Officer. I live in Halifax and already work in Int Analyst for the federal government. I have a graduate degree in history with a specialization/numerous publications in international affairs related to the Middle East. While I understand that there will be a six-month stint in Kingston, can the basic training etc be done locally or do all reservists have to go to Quebec and NB? If so, how long is the NB training?

Thanks!

It does get a little frustrating when people register and immediately launch questions that have been asked and answered before without bothering to look around first. There is a ton of information here already, ripe for your reading, and only a couple of Recruiters who cannot know everything about every occupation and training programme, especially with much variation in the Reserve Force world, and they only have so much time each day.

Explore this Site. Start with the stickied threads in applicable sub-fora. In doing so, you will likely find answers to questions before they even occur to you. Consider this as preparatory training before the real training begins. Should you not find what you need after honest effort, post your question(s) in the applicable forum, and help will be provided by all sorts of people, none of whom are permitted to post responses in the "Ask a CAF Recruiter" forum.

And if you think that the previous response was unprofessional, wait until training starts. There will be much less patience shown to those not doing their homework or otherwise not meeting expectations.

You're right Loachman. I could have (and should have) done some digging in the site first. Thanks for the response.

The original question does not come across as an excited 14 year old wanting immediate info, but as a reasonable request by someone in a related field, but unfamiliar with the CF.

Loachman is partially right, but forgets that this site to a newbie is cumberson. The layout is intuitive to someone with military jargon embedded, but to civvies not so much.

:2c:

Yet many new members do have a look around and read stuff before posting.

Hennyway, QUESTIONS about JOINING THE RESERVES http://army.ca/forums/threads/16735.0.html is probably another thread worth skimming through.

doc_graham said:
I'd like some clarification on training to become a part-time Int Officer.

See also,

Reserve DEO questions,
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+DEO+Reserves&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=Nt9NV6Uqo4LxB-vOgfgF&gws_rd=ssl#q=site:army.ca+DEO+Reserve

doc_graham said:
I'd like some clarification on training to become a part-time Int Officer. I live in Halifax and already work in Int Analyst for the federal government. I have a graduate degree in history with a specialization/numerous publications in international affairs related to the Middle East. While I understand that there will be a six-month stint in Kingston, can the basic training etc be done locally or do all reservists have to go to Quebec and NB? If so, how long is the NB training?

Thanks!

Hi Doc,

I'm a reserve INT NCM in Halifax. If you're going reserve, you'll be in 3 INT COY. If you want to touch base with the Recruiter there, PM me and I'll pass along their email. I have nothing but positive things to say about her, too.

Officers in my unit did BMQ (C) on weekends through the school year, and then moved onto BMOQ portions in the summer, at Aldershot, I believe (Don't quote me on that). The Basic can be done during the school year, and the BMOQ can be completed by the end of the summer.

Cheers.

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

I got a phone call last week, I was selected to go on the Int Op course and have to be in Kingston for August 24th. I'm very excited about this! Any hint for a future candidate?

pascalywood said:
I got a phone call last week, I was selected to go on the Int Op course and have to be in Kingston for August 24th. I'm very excited about this! Any hint for a future candidate?
Can you confirm this is the INT OP QL5?

I'm waiting to be loaded on one.

That would be QL3 I guess, this is the basic int course. I'm to report in for August 24th but I don't know when the actual course will take place.

pascalywood said:
That would be QL3 I guess, this is the basic int course. I'm to report in for August 24th but I don't know when the actual course will take place.

So are you reserve then?

LPike said:
Can you confirm this is the INT OP QL5?

I'm waiting to be loaded on one.

I'm waiting to be loaded onto the Int Op QL5 as well. I have heard nothing.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

pascalywood said:
There's no INT OP QL3.

J-Rex said:
I'm waiting to be loaded onto the Int Op QL5 as well. I have heard nothing.

Good to know I'm not the only one. Are you reg or Res?

LPike said:
Good to know I'm not the only one. Are you reg or Res?

I'm Reg Force. Remustered from another trade after 7 years. I heard rumours of a course at the end of August and one in the Winter. Hopefully don't have to wait until December. Which element are you?

J-Rex said:
I'm Reg Force. Remustered from another trade after 7 years. I heard rumours of a course at the end of August and one in the Winter. Hopefully don't have to wait until December. Which element are you?

I'm in the same boat. I'm on the army side.

I'm on tasking, so I'm continually checking the CFSMI page.

I'll be a happy bunny if I don't have to wait until the winter.

Back