• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Intelligence Officer / Operator

• Thread starter future_soldier
  • Start date
You make some assumptions about my knowledge of what an intel job entails. I am not trying to be James Bond. I am knowledgeable in the field of International Relations and have strong research/analytical skills in that field. I appreciate the help though, 2-3 years of being backed up would be enough to make me consider a different trade (especially if I was competing mainly against those with Master's degrees and 4-6 years experience).

As far as unofficial info on this site, all the info I discussed is off the official Forces.ca site. I am going mainly by the 'official' site info and not speculation off the forum. However, what you said about 2 years backlog seems to be the general consensus anywhere I go (so it's probably more truth than speculation).

My other picks for DEO are pilot/ACSO/armour if intel is not a direct possibility.

Just a hint. Here in Canada we refer to Intelligence as "Int" not "Intel". As George said, if you want a job with "Intel", click the link in his post. It will help to know little things like this if you are serious about getting your trade choice one day.

Best of luck with your application.

Just to corroborate what George said. A recruiter also told me that they usually hire people from other military trades i.e., maybe someone used to work in logistics so now they're switching to intelligence. As to your question about requiring a masters for intelligence officer, the answer is "no" according to my recruiter.Based on the CF website videos, your background in international relations is probably useful so don't be too discourage even if it's a competitive field. 

cheers

Hal

From my understanding, you will have a great deal of difficultly becoming an Intelligence Officer because the branch is currently overloaded by 15%  in officer positions.

I have recently heard from a friend that the branch is only taking in one or two new officers per year for the next three years in all recruiting programs.

Spectrum said:
Just a hint. Here in Canada we refer to Intelligence as "Int" not "Intel".

Not true. I spent 26 years in the int branch, a lot of it in the air force, mostly in the fighter world and I can say that among fighter pilots we were usually referred to as "intel" not "int." Not sure whether other air force units (transport, tac hel, navy) used intel vice int or not.

Retired AF Guy said:
Not true. I spent 26 years in the int branch, a lot of it in the air force, mostly in the fighter world and I can say that among fighter pilots we were usually referred to as "intel" not "int." Not sure whether other air force units (transport, tac hel, navy) used intel vice int or not.

Anyone I've ever spoken to (U.S. or Canada) has said intel. Int sounds weird...like a bad nickname.

I am not discouraged but I did talk to recruiting today and I was told: "No masters required and your background will help. However, you will be competing with people who are already officers and have 4-6 years experience....and potentially a masters degree." I am guessing these officers want the job because maybe once you hit captain rank - you can just transfer and be a captain in a new field (rather than restart at 2nd lt).

It's only one of my choices. I will also apply for ACSO - which I am preparing for (the testing). From what I hear AEC has a 10-15% passing rate, that's intense.

Spectrum said:
Just a hint. Here in Canada we refer to Intelligence as "Int" not "Intel". As George said, if you want a job with "Intel", click the link in his post. It will help to know little things like this if you are serious about getting your trade choice one day.

Best of luck with your application.

In the military it is generally referred to as Int, but you may have heard intel used in a non-military context. CSIS and law enforcement agencies use Intel.

airdelta2 said:
Anyone I've ever spoken to (U.S. or Canada) has said intel. Int sounds weird...like a bad nickname.

I'll be politically incorrect and say that that sounds just gay.  You will see and hear Americans and non-CF Canadians using the term RECON as well.  We in the CF use the term RECCE. 

As for our Air Force pilots using the term Intel; well they are pilots.  No need to say more on them.  Even Retired AF Guy uses the term INT in his profile.  He did not work for DGINTEL, but DGINT.  We don't refer to any of our types of Intelligence gathering as SIGINTEL, OPEN SOURCE INTEL, HUMINTEL, COMMINTEL, etc.  We use many different terms to describe what we do, that other nations don't use.  Just as if you went to England and were told to take the lift to room 303 and knock up Mr. X in the morning, you would have to learn to adapt and accept the different terminology of the locale.  Live with it.

George Wallace said:
Using your Open Source Research skills is a must and you are not doing too well so far.  If you have read any of the info posted on this (unofficial) site, you will see that INT is overborn in applicants.  There is currently approx two years worth of people waiting to attempt to become INT officers.  That means that the standards are going to be very high, and the failure rate will match that standard. 

INT may no longer be recruiting off the street, and for there to be any openings for DEO they will probably be only for people who have actual intelligence backgrounds from previous service or another government agency. 

If you are aspiring to become a "James Bond" you should probably look for a job in the motion picture industry, as INT professionals do nothing along those lines.  INT Os and INT Ops do not have a "Licence to Kill", nor the mandate to spy on people.  They collate information collected in reports from their sources: Armour and Infantry Recce, Snipers, CIMIC, Arty FOO/FAC, and numerous other agencies and organizations and then disseminate information to the Comd so (s)he can make decisions.  They do not go out and actively gather information themselves.  They sit at desks. 

If you want a job in Intel their recruiting page is:  JOBS AT INTEL.
Oh, godamnit. I better go cancel my CT...

Sorry to barge in. Was just reading thread....

Some guys previously mentioned how Intelligence officer ranks would be over filled.... Wondering what the case is for the Int Ops??

That is my goal.. (not officer) was wondering if they are similarly filling up at the NCM level?

Thx for any info. NP if not.

You should be asking the CF this question, since they are responsible for the info in question.

I had the same question you had, and asked a CF recruiter the day after you posted your question. Here is the answer I got: "A Masters was preferred and a bachelors was accepted for DEO. However Int O is no longer available for DEO since its [sic] receptor."

I hope the helps.

Sorry for the late responce..

I know that the branch is full on WOs now, and short on Sgts.  However, I dont know what that translates into as far as availability for new Int Ops.  I will try to find out this week.

According to the recruiter I spoke with, 'receptor' means you have to be a current serving member of the CF to apply for that trade.

Generally speaking, intelligence is very hard to apply directly into without prior military experience, unless you have some relevant experience. Having intelligence experience as a civvy is very hard to do, unless you've taken courses in the past, or unless you've worked for a "public" agency that does it (policing, CSIS, etc).

I'm not speaking for a recruiter, but due to Int O being allegedly 15% overmanned, I would suspect that the very few positions that may be available over the next few years would sooner be offered to current or previous serving members of the CF.

ltmaverick25 said:
Sorry for the late responce..

I know that the branch is full on WOs now, and short on Sgts.  However, I dont know what that translates into as far as availability for new Int Ops.  I will try to find out this week.

Not much information there.  No one is going to come into the Trade as a WO or even a Sgt.  There is still, to the best of my knowledge, a fair amount of openings for INT OPs. 

I am curious as to where ltmaverick25 has progressed in the backlog of people awaiting BIOC, as I see another BIOC and 6A Crse have appeared and will be starting very, very soon, and may not have yet made it to any of the webpages.

George Wallace said:
Not much information there.  No one is going to come into the Trade as a WO or even a Sgt.  There is still, to the best of my knowledge, a fair amount of openings for INT OPs. 

I am curious as to where ltmaverick25 has progressed in the backlog of people awaiting BIOC, as I see another BIOC and 6A Crse have appeared and will be starting very, very soon, and may not have yet made it to any of the webpages.

Thats confirmed, I had the opportunity to ask that question this week and according to the branch advisor there is still a healthy demand for INT OPs.

As for BIOC, mine is complete.  There is one about to start at the end of May in Kingston, another ongoing in Borden and another ongoing in Quebec.  I think Quebec is also planning on running another one this fall.

Hi all!

I sent in my application around a week ago for the reserves, and i am wondering when they will contact me. The reason why i am concerned is because i am going back to university in 3 weeks and it would be nice to finish the whole process before i leave.

Also, a quick question. What is the process in becoming an intelligence officer after basic training? I am currently studying philosophy and i know that is not one of their recommended areas to begin a career in intelligence, but i am fully-fledged to learn every aspect of the intelligence community.

Thanks for your time, it is much appriciated!

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I do not believe any trade in Intelligence (NCM or Officer) is open to Direct Entry

Back