• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Intelligence Officer / Operator

• Thread starter future_soldier
  • Start date
Going Clerk right now to get some experience before trying for ROTP where I'm kind of set on taking Poli Sci. Thanks for the info on data collection, appreciated. :)

Zertz said:
Do Intelligence Officers do this in addition to analysis and dissemenation?

They and the Int Ops can have widely varying duties depending on their element, unit they work at/with, size of unit, location, and task. 

"Going Clerk right now to get some experience before trying for ROTP where I'm kind of set on taking Poli Sci. Thanks for the info on data collection, appreciated. "

- Good plan.  The 'secretarial'/IS skills you pick up as a clerk should help you both at Civ U and as an IO.

Zertz, there are currently seven postings on this thread; four of them are yours.

Since Intelligence Officers seem to spend a lot of time talking to themselves - - you're a natural  >:D

Journeyman said:
Zertz, there are currently seven postings on this thread; four of them are yours.
Not anymore, there aren't J. Thanks for pointing that out, though.

Journeyman said:
Since Intelligence Officers seem to spend a lot of time talking to themselves - - you're a natural  >:D

Is that implying some form of mental ailment or because no one wants to be their friend?  :eek:

Teehee, natural eh? Sorry if I was a tad post happy in the ol' thread, still would love to get in contact with an Intelligence Officer, Reg or Reserve.

I tried contacting 5 Platoon, 6 Company out of Winnipeg but apparently they're quite busy and unable to check voicemail. Any other suggestions?

*goes back to talking to himself*

Edit: To Clarify - I've gotten good responses from two folks here, which I thank again, but I've got some specific questions as you can understand.

Hey there. I'm a university student finishing a degree in economics, and I'm looking to become an intelligence officer. I'm wondering if anybody has more information about the recruitment process, beyond what's already on the website ( http://www.recruiting.forces.gc.ca/v3/engraph/jobs/jobs.aspx?id=82&bhcp=1  ). I remember reading somewhere that you have to be in the army for a couple of years before going into the intelligence stream. Is that right? Does anybody have any experience in this regards? thanks

simonsimon said:
Hey there. I'm a university student finishing a degree in economics, and I'm looking to become an intelligence officer. I'm wondering if anybody has more information about the recruitment process, beyond what's already on the website ( http://www.recruiting.forces.gc.ca/v3/engraph/jobs/jobs.aspx?id=82&bhcp=1  ). I remember reading somewhere that you have to be in the army for a couple of years before going into the intelligence stream. Is that right? Does anybody have any experience in this regards? thanks

I applied for Int O a month and a half ago. The trade is undermanned, so they are indeed accepting DEO applicants. However, in my case, from the time I applied up to my CFAT (one month), the trade had been closed (they told me that while I was getting my medical scheduled). At CFRC Montreal, they told me that there was one vacant post left (out of the only 3 they had to fill), but they already had selected 11 applicants for it. So, to continue with the recruiting process, I would have to wait until they re-opened the trade in the coming months, only to get my name on the long list.

This being said, you can apply, but be warned that the trade is VERY competitive.

What I've decided to do, instead, is to enrol in another trade as an NCM, get military experience, and eventually re-muster in the intelligence trade (I want to start as a NCM, to know the job inside out before applying to become an officer). It will make the learning curve much more manageable, as knowing the details of military ops (especially from the combat arms point of view) is ESSENTIAL to the job. The more you know the military world beforehand, the more efficient you can be on the job. This is one of the reasons why they prefer applicants with previous military experience.

Now, if you're not selected for DEO, but still want to have a shot at the trade, there is another option for you. You can apply to a Int Reserve unit. They are short on personnel, and there are possibilities for working full time (they need people who can be deployed overseas) even though you're not in the Regs. However, in this case, forget about entering as an officer, you'll have to start as Int Op (but you can work your way up once you're in the unit, as they usually prefer to promote their officers from their own ranks).

Hope this helps.

P.S. Oh, by the way, there are also a bunch of topics on this forum about details concerning the application process for Intelligence. And since this trade is all about finding information, I'll let you start practicing and search for them...

Edited to add P.S.

......and there are other topics on the site that may also help answer your questions.

Even as a Reservist, you can find full time work as an INT Op, depending on your location.  The chances of deploying after completing your QL5A Crse are very good, should you so desire.  The chances are fewer as an officer - a numbers game.

Visit the CFRC and ask about oportunities in both the Reg and Res Forces.  If there is a unit nearby, pay them a visit or give them a call. 

Is Naval Intelligence with the Nav Res a good route? I understood they integrated, no longer Naval Control of Shipping, I wonder how that is going?

Entering DEO as intelligence is very tough to get. I know some very qualified candidates with graduate degrees in relevant studies who have been turned down.

edgar said:
Is Naval Intelligence with the Nav Res a good route? I understood they integrated, no longer Naval Control of Shipping, I wonder how that is going?

It is quickly filling up, but it can be a good route. It is still integrated with NCS (now called Naval Co-operation and Guidance of Shipping (NCAGS)). In addition to your Int training you also take a course in NCAGS so you're qualified in both. The BIOC you take is equivalent to the reg force's navy element standard. If you were to go reg force from navres, you would only need to do CAP and if not going navy, your specific element Int trg. The old rule was you had to have 3 years of class B (or equivalent) time in before transferring to reg force Int but that doesn't seem to apply now. As a reservist, you can still find reg force jobs to fill.

It is the opinion of a small minority that the DEO category was not created so that young, bright and well-educated people from university without security clearances could become Int O's.  It is quite likely it was created so old and suitably experienced military Int O's with security clearances could retire and come back into the same department as civilians (and union members). 

Greymatters said:
It is the opinion of a small minority that the DEO category was not created so that young, bright and well-educated people from university without security clearances could become Int O's.  It is quite likely it was created so old and suitably experienced military Int O's with security clearances could retire and come back into the same department as civilians (and union members). 

Interesting comment. 

I must ask you a question.  What makes one with a Degree and no military experience so much better a candidate for DEO Int O, than NCMs with several degrees already doing the job?  What would that person feel, knowing that they knew a lot less about the job, the military, and life in general than their subordinates? 

Sorry.  I guess that was two questions.  I see a lot of that these days, as well as High School kids who know so much more than I think they know.   :-\

George Wallace said:
Interesting comment.  I must ask you a question.  What makes one with a Degree and no military experience so much better a candidate for DEO Int O, than NCMs with several degrees already doing the job?  What would that person feel, knowing that they knew a lot less about the job, the military, and life in general than their subordinates?  Sorry.  I guess that was two questions.  I see a lot of that these days, as well as High School kids who know so much more than I think they know.   :-\ 

Personally, I dont think replacing experienced NCMs (degree or not) or Into O's with civilians who have degrees but no military experience is the right thing.  Other minds think differently on the subject. 

For intelligence right now they are also accepting ROTP applications for IntO. That is what I am applied for. There are 11 open spots for the Feb review cycle. The kind folks in the recruiting office told me that I had a pretty good shot at getting into the ROTP program for it at my current civvi university. It seems like it's one of those trades that needs people to fill the positions, along with so many others. Then again it was nothing like the LogO which had 60 ROTP spots this cycle...

dwalter said:
It seems like it's one of those trades that needs people to fill the positions...

The Branch NEVER just needs people to fill the positions EVER.

That goes with the CF in general, but unfortunately useless people still get through and cause havoc on others.

I still think that Int should be a remuster only MOC on both NCM and Officer levels.

Sorry I didn't mean to make it sound like they just needed the bodies for the sake of numbers. I meant that it seems like they may be legitimately short staffed of good people. CSIS recruits their intel officers out of universities, so I think it is logical if the CF does the same for the intel branch, at least for the intel officers.

I too am up for this round of selections.  Apparently I've been "accepted" to RMC and CivvyU already, so I hope that boots my chances, along with being a Reservist already.

Back