• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Insoles & Foot Supports

Gross

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello,

I've been working a steady job wearing steel toes for about 3-4 months and after only about a week or two I noticed a drastic change in my feet. I literally have no feeling in them anymore. Its almost a RELIEF to wear my combat boots. However, I'm finishing up with my job now and I think I'm going to finally take up the advice to buy some form of insoles or foot supports.

Anyway, I'll get to the point now. I've always had a problem finding comfortable shoes or anything for me feet really. I'm size 13 and a 1/2 (15 mens in civilians) My question is what are the best supports to use and where can I find them?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Gross,
My brother has the same issue. He is a firefighter and has size 15 feet. We have a hard time finding him boots let alone insoles. Never have found him any, but he has good arches and doesnt spend any time doing marches etc. So insoles are not much of a problem

My suggestion is to go to a running store, and see if they have a source for footware. Or see a Podiatrist, which is probbably your best bet since you have lost all feeling in your feet.
Baring that, find a heat molder, and find a source for heat moldable(non cotton) layered fabric and cut to size. (i think they get you to stand on foam for backpressure after it gets hot, and the stuff pretty much fits to your foot.) Outdoor gear shops do heat molding for backpack bracing, insole, and boot molding. Though i have never seen anyone come in with aformentioned fabric.

If you have lost all feeling in your feet you might want to see a Podiatrist (foot doctor), or at the very least your own family doctor. No feeling = nerve damage. Given your trade(s), i would be worried about your back/hips/legs/knees/feet. Losing feeling in your feet is kind of a scary thing.

Post again if you find something that works.

http://www.oneshottactical.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=oneshot&Product_Code=PW-SB&Category_Code=PW

They are made of similar materials that are used in Oregon Aeros BLSS helmet pads.

I wore Birkenstock insoles in my combat boots for my last BFT and I found them to be excellent.  I also wore them in my walking shoes for travelling in Europe in Oct and found that my feet didn't get as sore as fast as they use too.

http://www.birkenstock.ca/catalog/index.php?cPath=45&osCsid=636

I have had the SOLE brand insoles for the past 1.5 years or so and have had no problems. You throw them in the oven and then they form fit to you arches. Support hasnt diminished in all this time so they are good to go. I have a size 12.5E boot so they will probly work for you too. I got mine at marks work warehouse for around 30$.

I've had Sole Footbeds in my combat boots for a couple of years, too. It took me a few weeks to get used to them, but I am very happy with them. Granted, I don't walk as much as some of you, but I think that I have walked enough to comment adequately.

I also got mine at Mark's Worke Wearhouse. They're available from CP Gear as well now.

Loachman said:
I've had Sole Footbeds in my combat boots for a couple of years, too. It took me a few weeks to get used to them, but I am very happy with them. Granted, I don't walk as much as some of you, but I think that I have walked enough to comment adequately.

I also got mine at Mark's Worke Wearhouse. They're available from CP Gear as well now.

I used SOLE in my steeltoes when i worked construction this summer, they were fantastic, Combined with Dakota's Steel Toe Socks.

http://www2.yoursole.com/home?id=AYE9N3zA

I'll give another vote for the Sole footbeds.  They're all I've worn for the last 2-3 years in my boots and running shoes.  I wore them along with my new Original SWAT boots last Friday on a BFT and my feet have never felt that good on or after a 13km march. 

i've been wearing "Superfeet - Green Insoles" for the last year and they've saved my feet, though they may not work to well if you have feet on the flater side; you should be able to get them from the M.I.R. . One thing i find causes loss of  feeling in feet/ toes is lacing over the arch of the foot cutting off circulation, i found it helped alot to use a tongue guard (lace guard or whatever there called) which is a thick peice of leather which lays between the boots laces and tongue and keeps the laces from cutting into the foot, you see them alot on logging boots; you could make you own or see if a cobbler or boot maker might have a pair to give ya.

And yet another vote for Sole footbeds.  I over pronate, and being heat moldable, the Sole insoles have fixed that problem.  I was actually a little uncomfortable with the level of support they provide until I got used to it and now I wouldn't put anything else in my combat boots.

Cheers,

1. call the doc
2. get a mold of your foot
3. prepare yourself to lose 500 bucks

custom insoles boys and girls... everyone is different

(only slightly joking») Get a class B callout for + 180 days.
At that point, Blue Cross will look after you..... otherwise, you are on your own!

lot of people skip lacing across the fold at the ankle of their combat boots - works for some, doesn't for others.

Numb toes is a sign of lack of circulation.  Either your boots are laced too tightly OR too small... get it looked after!

I switched from Superfeet to Sole a couple of years ago - them is gold (I think there's comments about them in the running thread) ... if you buy direct online, they give quantity discounts (and have max. selection & have a clearance section for deals) ... no, I don't work for them!

Link to online store: https://www.yoursole.com/store_ca?mv_pc=

Back