• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Information Management - DND Security Risk Related to Information Disposal

Colin P said:
Being the only one trained on Nestor

As in the speech encryption Nestor?  If so - I haven't heard that term in 20+ years...when we got rid of them.  :)

E.R. Campbell said:
I certainly agree with the highlighted bit, but you must, also, address the carelessness issue, which does exist and is a result of less than adequate discipline ~ at home, in schools, and in the CF. My guess, based on my experience, is that solving a good part of the carelessness issue will pay early, big dividends. It's cheaper, too, and has add on benefits in every area of a soldier's life. A well disciplined soldier is happy, healthy and productive.

One of my current tasks is investigating these sorts of incidents. 99% of all files that cross my path are the direct result of one of two things: 1. "I didn't know" and 2. "I didn't think." The unfortunate reality is carelessness is a huge, huge, huge factor in the loss or compromise of classified data. IMHO, we do not treat security violations as significantly as we should, if we did, we would have less security breaches. This goes hand in hand with carelessness being "trained" out of people.

It also goes hand in hand with being extremely conservative in designating and classifying information.  "This will make us look stupid" should not be grounds for designation or classification.

When obviously useless fluff is designated or classified, it becomes more difficult to enforce the rules for material that genuinely needs protection.

JesseWZ said:
One of my current tasks is investigating these sorts of incidents. 99% of all files that cross my path are the direct result of one of two things: 1. "I didn't know" and 2. "I didn't think." The unfortunate reality is carelessness is a huge, huge, huge factor in the loss or compromise of classified data. IMHO, we do not treat security violations as significantly as we should, if we did, we would have less security breaches. This goes hand in hand with carelessness being "trained" out of people.

Out of curiousity, out of said indiscretions, what rank levels are we talking about?

In other words, is this people being "tasked" to dispose of things or people just being complacent?

Pte/OS through LCol/Commanders... Complacency knows no rank distinction. Even those that are "tasked," the taskers still typically fall into those two categories.

Back