• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Info on a POW from Italian Campaign

klia_m

Inactive
Reaction score
When the 1LAAC changed to an infantry unit and changed their designation to the Lanark and Renfrew Scottish, there were men assigned to the LRS from holding units from other regiments. My Dad was one of them. There was also another Sergeant by the last name of Kane(or could be spelled Caine or Cane) who had also been brought in and from another regiment. The men called him "Candy". "Candy" was taken POW in fall of 1944 in Italy. Dad did see him again for a couple of minutes back in England when Dad was on draft to come home in late 1945. Any ideas on how I can find out what ever happened to "Candy"? Dad has always wanted to contact him and didn‘t know how since he didn‘t know the correct spelling of his last name or even what his correct first name was. Also, since they were both "shanghied" into the LRS Dad doesn‘t remember now what regiment Candy came from originally.
Anybody have any ideas where I can start?

Thanks for your help!

You face a formidable, task Part Two Orders of the LRS for the period would give you the man‘s name eventually. It is a long search. I do not know if the LRS have a museum staff that may be able to assist you otherwise you may have to hire someone to do a search at the Public Archives or take a holliday in Ottawa and do it yourself.

Thanks for your help! You‘re right, looks like it might be a VERY formidable task. Dad does remember though that some time after he reported "Candy" as missing and probably captured, a formal report was made that "Candy" and his squad had in fact been captured. Soooo, if I can get the time, maybe I can find the info after all.

Thanks again for your co-operation!

Back