• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Infantry reg. forces training VS Reserves training

Zenetusken

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello I'm looking to join with the Infantry reserves but one thing that doesn't sit well at all with me is the training in comparison to the reg. forces. It doesn't seem to me that reservists get the same type of training at all and are thus less prepared for deployment should they volounteer. I've been told we see all of same same topics but in a more condensed version, what does this mean? This puts me off to he honest as I'd like to be held to the same standards if not there is no point in my opinion. Yes I understand they can't train every part timer as they do a full timer due to the reality of budget constraints and the practicality of it all since we're not obligated to ship out, but how much worse is the training in comparison? Can I make up for lost skills by enrolling in varying courses AFTER I'm qualified and serving as a reservist?

I would not worry about it, as it is not going to change and nothing you can do about it. If you are a reserve and and are picked to deploy you will undergo deployment training. This deployment training will make up for the difference in the training.

You're considering full-time vs. part-time and concluding that Reg Force training is automatically better then Reserve.  You have not considered that there are other factors which contribute to the quality of training.  For example, your peers in Reserve training, in general, will have more and varied life experience.  Go in with the attitude that you will make the most of what the military gives you.  You might be pleasantly surprised at the result.

Mike5 said:
You're considering full-time vs. part-time and concluding that Reg Force training is automatically better then Reserve.  You have not considered that there are other factors which contribute to the quality of training.  For example, your peers in Reserve training, in general, will have more and varied life experience.  Go in with the attitude that you will make the most of what the military gives you.  You might be pleasantly surprised at the result.
What if other factors don't matter to me? I just want to have the same basic training as the reglar forces do. What other baggage of exoerience they bring is of no importance to me unless they were part of an elite SWAT team. This is my choice in the matter. So what you're essentially telling me is that I'm boned.

You're telling me they would fill in the blanks by training me pre deployment. So let me ask you this then, is this really all I would be missing from the weeks of BMQ training that's left out for reservists?

There's a real easy solution here. If you want Regular Force training, join the Regular Force.

We conducted a war where upwards of 20% of our deployed force were reservists (including me), many of whom were infanteers. The predeployment training was enough that they were combat effective, and some even earned medals for valour/heroism. If that's not good enough for you, then I'd submit to you that your attitude needs to change or you're going to have a terribly short career in the Primary Reserves.

I can't give a better answer then PuckChaser but I can't resist adding some context -- you say : " What other baggage of experience they bring is of no importance to me unless they were part of an elite SWAT team. "

SWAT teams?  Not sure.  But I can tell you that on Reserve Basic courses I've met candidates from many walks of life including:
- currently-serving Police officers (Toronto Police Services)
- currently-serving Firemen (GTA fire departments)
- former Army officers (a South American army)

In addition to a host of teachers, lawyers, stockbrokers and students.  It adds something to an Operation Honour brief when the police officer in the audience can draw on years of real-life experience dealing with domestic abuse calls in downtown Toronto ... or to the first aid lesson when the firemen give perspective on rescues.

Otherwise -- what PuckChaser said.

I'm a teacher in mechanic in my civilian life and
My trade in the military is armorded  crewman, i'm not in
a swat team crew, but my civilian life, makes me a
model for some of the youngsters that comes in. I'm a bit older too.
That's make a little difference, and they know it (the others privates, the cpl, the Mcpl, my sargent),
when a i say Something or when i propose Something to the CoC there is experience behind the respond or the anwser.
A sargent told me once, that he like's working with the PR because some of the members
have sometime a other view of a situation comparaison of a carreer  soldier, just because
of there civilial experience.

If you think you need to be trained by special forces buddys, you need to go in the regular...

Back