• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Individual Meal Pack (IMP) [Merged]

SOES_v said:
Ugg, I can just see the frowns on the faces of the troops that get those... That's going to be great for moral when it's wet and freezing...

Btw, IIRC I have seen up to $11 per box lunch, being spent. Again, I am not entirely confident of that number because I have seen smaller numbers as well. I am not too sure of the variables at play but yes, box lunches are not cheap, and neither are MRE's. They are pretty dang expensive.
When I worked with QM, the RQMS MCpl told me an IMP was around 20 bucks a pop.

Then again he may be joking with me.

BernDawg said:
From what I've been told, yes. Do I have first hand knowledge of this? No. There may be others here with first hand experience.

Anecdotal evidence is that the Officers get a box lunch several grades higher than the men and it comes with silverware included because gentlemen do not use their fingers to eat. At least that's what we were told back in the late 80's early 90's.

I have served with the Brits, and saw no evidence of that practice.

My husband routinely flies with an RAF officer, he gets the same box lunches as everyone else.  Including the same plastic cutlery packet that everyone else gets.  I think the only difference is he's able to have the seafood lunch...whereas most of the crew at that unit is allergic to seafood. (including my husband)

Luckily for me, I can eat anything if it's been swimming, oinking, mooing or clucking. 

Sucks for the allergic people in the fall when lobster is $3/lb and the seafood eaters get lobster rolls.  (the smell drives my husband to throw up)

slayer/raptor said:
Did an op with the Brits in Kandahar, me (an officer) and my men (NCOs/NCMs) had the same rations.

Sounds like it's probably a case of "US Rangers can lose 1 weapon a year as a write off" kinda fact.

I could see something like that happening in the past though.

Poutine in a bag doesn't sound appetizing at all

Poutine in a bag sounds pretty gross... no doubt it'll turn out to be another meal with 75% of your daily fat intake all in one 200g meal...

I see the Maple dessert is still there... anyone actually eat those?  And the diabetic shock in a bag aka chocolate dessert is gone.  I'm dissapointed the chicken fajita meal is gone though,  was pretty good IMO.

-Skeletor- said:
Poutine in a bag sounds pretty gross... no doubt it'll turn out to be another meal with 75% of your daily fat intake all in one 200g meal...

I see the Maple dessert is still there... anyone actually eat those?  And the diabetic shock in a bag aka chocolate dessert is gone.  I'm dissapointed the chicken fajita meal is gone though,  was pretty good IMO.

Maple dessert was actually pretty good when it was warmed up.... the last time I saw the chocolate desert, the troops were taking dares to see who could actually finish it...

Bird_Gunner45 said:
Maple dessert was actually pretty good when it was warmed up.... the last time I saw the chocolate desert, the troops were taking dares to see who could actually finish it...

I am a woman...I would finish it because it was chocolate.

*nodnod*

I would be a disgrace to my gender if I did otherwise.  Bring it.

Pandora114 said:
It's "chocolate" in the same way that "NDHQ is here to help" and "military intelligence" is....well, you see where this is going...

Pandora114 said:

*nodnod*

I would be a disgrace to my gender if I did otherwise.  Bring it.

I like chocolate as much as anyone... but that creation is just ungodly rich

Sadukar09 said:
When I worked with QM, the RQMS MCpl told me an IMP was around 20 bucks a pop.

Then again he may be joking with me.

That sounds about right. I did some quick math and it looks like we budgeted it to be around 20 a piece. If I take into account the IMP's left over from our last excursion, which we are going to use, the number I get is a bit more than 20 for an IMP.

For those who are curious, this site has some of the past menu's.

http://www.mreinfo.com/international/canada/canadian-imp.html

Bird_Gunner45 said:

Baked orange was ... interesting ... in the 90's.  My cadet corps were eating them on a sail weekend.  After everyone had a nibble of the dessert, we tossed the remainder to the seagulls.  You know it's quality food when even the shithawks reject it.

PPCLI Guy said:
I have served with the Brits, and saw no evidence of that practice.
Then I stand corrected and graciously yield the floor.  :salute:

BernDawg said:

Not trying to dogpile you but having served as a british soldier, I can confirm the 'officer ration' to be a myth, up there with 'if you do 25 years as a private you get an RSM's pension'  and 'you cannot be charged for punching someone between the time of 2359 and 0000'..

BernDawg said:

We always had the same (crappy) food as our troops. Fortunately, this particular item was a staple of most box lunches, which sustained our black humour if nothing else (they were also suprisingly good at starting fires, and don't ask me how I know that):

Hedgehog Flavoured Crisps : In the UK in 1981, Hedgehog Foods Ltd decided, as a joke, to produce Hedgehog flavoured crisps (potato chips). To everyone's surprise, the crisps were a huge success.

Hedgehog flavoured crisps were actually flavoured with pork fat and no hedgehogs were used in the manufacturing process. Consequently, it wasn't long before Hedgehog Foods Ltd was in court (1982), up against the Office of Fair Trading, on a charge of false advertising.

Bizarrely, a settlement was finally reached when Mr Lewis, of Hedgehog Foods, interviewed gypsies who actually did eat baked hedgehogs, to ascertain the flavour of hedgehogs. Mr Lewis then commissioned a flavourings firm to duplicate the flavour as closely as possible and changed the labels from "hedgehog flavoured" to "hedgehog flavour" and all interests were satisfied!

http://www.doyouremember.co.uk/memory.php?memID=4286

I wonder how much he had to pay the Pikeys to get them to give their account.

"I'm here to ask about the flavour of baked hedgehogs"

"I bet you have a driveway that needs paving"

I can just see it.

Back