• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Individual Meal Pack (IMP) [Merged]

I don't know about others, but for me, I would really like to try #5 and then go crazy and try something completely different, like #7.  ;D

With my luck, I will always ask for #4, but get stuck with #3... :-\

•Menu 16: Turkey Strips with Orange Sauce

What are turkey strips and what is orange sauce, and by god where are the Cabbage Rolls and Hungarian Goulash?!

mmmmmmmmmm lung in a bag.  My fav used to be the beef chop suey, or the chicken breast in gravy if you had the time to make it right with the mashed potatoes and the bread and stuff.

old_imps.jpg

imp-old-chopsuey.jpg
imps.jpg

Eye In The Sky said:
I don't know about others, but for me, I would really like to try #5 and then go crazy and try something completely different, like #7.  ;D
I kinda thought that, too - greater minds than ours, I guess.

No Chillie? That was the best one by far!!...or was that in American rations? I can't recall, it's all fuzzy memories if I was actually munch on rations. ;) 

Beans are good too....the thought of a Poutine ration makes my stomach churn (not in a good way) just thinking about it. I normally like Poutine but I can just picture the mess that would be in a ration.

There is a "Canadian Combat Rations - Rations de Combat Canadiennes" Facebook group.

I posted to it in January. They recently replied. You can chuckle at the response.

I see that they still have a couple of my favorites still on the menu list.

Now, I wonder if they actually are the same stock that was on the shelves when I was in back in the 80's.  ;D

milnews.ca said:
Bumped with the latest - according to tender documents for the outside bag covers, it looks like the first run of IMPs being assembled early next year will be including the magic menu #15  ;D
  • Menu 1: Beans & Weiners
  • Menu 2: Scalloped Potatoes & Ham
  • Menu 3: Hash Browns & Bacon
  • Menu 4: Sausage & Hash Browns
  • Menu 5: Breakfast Patties
  • Menu 6: Baked Beans
  • Menu 7: Breakfast Patties
  • Menu 8: Chinese Style Beef Macaroni
  • Menu 9: Chicken & Vegetable Stew
  • Menu 10: Smoked Meat with Demi-Glace Sauce
  • Menu 11: Chicken & Sausage Jambalaya
  • Menu 12: Pulled Pork
  • Menu 13: Hamburger
  • Menu 14: Lasagna
  • Menu 15: Poutine
  • Menu 16: Turkey Strips with Orange Sauce
  • Menu 17: Lamb & Vegetable Stew
  • Menu 18: Shepherd's Pie
  • Menu 19: Salmon
  • Menu 20: Meatballs with Gravy
  • Menu 21: Pasta Stuffed with Ricotta
I always found that the worst menu option was repeated in the box, and there was only ever one of the best menus option.  Spend a lot of time on rations and you keep seeing the same menu choice too often.  There should be 30 menus listed above as there are ten meals in each breakfast box, lunch box and supper box.

I used to love "lung in a bag". I really did! I liked watching people gag when I tipped the pouch and drank the juice before I tore into that ooohh so delicious omlette!!

BinRat55 said:
I used to love "lung in a bag". I really did! I liked watching people gag when I tipped the pouch and drank the juice before I tore into that ooohh so delicious omlette!!

:boke:

BinRat55 said:
Brave man ....  At least you could freeze them and use them as ballistic plates  ;D

milnews.ca said:
Brave man ....  At least you could freeze them and use them as ballistic plates  ;D

I used to sleep on them so they were nice and body temperature when I awoke...

I brought one home to show my kids what sort of things we (were forced) to eat in the field.  I opened the pouch and squeezed it up to show them.  My kids started to eat it cold and thought it great fun, especially my reaction to them going at it like starving animals.  I was horrified.  :nod:

MCG said:
I always found that the worst menu option was repeated in the box, and there was only ever one of the best menus option.  Spend a lot of time on rations and you keep seeing the same menu choice too often.  There should be 30 menus listed above as there are ten meals in each breakfast box, lunch box and supper box.

I spent the last tour eating either the lightweight combat recce rations or traded/bought/stolen MRE's. Got awfully sick of IMP's after a few weeks.

There was one major exercise in Wainwright that is burned into my few remaining brain cells.  There was a abundance of breakfast IMP which were close to expiration.  All units were issued with these in order to use them up for breakfast, lunch and supper.  That was the longest EX l ever experienced.

jollyjacktar said:
There was one major exercise in Wainwright that is burned into my few remaining brain cells.  There was a abundance of breakfast IMP which were close to expiration.  All units were issued with these in order to use them up for breakfast, lunch and supper.  That was the longest EX l ever experienced.

I don't think there is enough hot sauce to make all of that palatable  :boke:

Back