• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Individual Learning Plans (ILP) [Merged]

CANFORGEN 046/19 - CMP 028/19 041536Z APR 19

CHANGES TO CAF REGULAR FORCE EDUCATION REIMBURSEMENT (ER) PROGRAM

UNCLASSIFIED

REFS: A. COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS INSTRUCTIONS (CBI) 210.80 TUITION FEES, BOOKS AND INSTRUMENTS
B. CANFORGEN 136/04 CHANGES TO CF EDUCATION REIMBURSEMENT
C. ADM (HR-MIL) MIL PERS INSTR 17/04 EDUCATION REIMBURSEMENT FOR THE REGULAR FORCE
D. COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS INSTRUCTIONS (CBI) 210.801 - EDUCATION REIMBURSEMENT - PRIMARY RESERVE
E. COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS INSTRUCTIONS (CBI) 210.802 - SKILLS COMPLETION PROGRAM - REGULAR FORCE

1. THE REGULAR FORCE EDUCATION REIMBURSEMENT (ER) PROGRAM (REFS A-C) IS DESIGNED TO SUPPORT SELF DEVELOPMENT OF CAF MEMBERS THROUGHOUT THEIR CAREERS. THE POPULARITY OF THE PROGRAM NECESSITATES ADJUSTMENTS TO PROGRAM GOVERNANCE IN ORDER TO ASSURE LONG TERM AFFORDABILITY AND TO ENSURE PROGRAMS OF STUDY ALIGN WITH THE CURRENT AND FUTURE NEEDS OF THE CAF. THE ER SUITE OF PROGRAMS IS CURRENTLY BASELINE FUNDED FOR 6.7 MILLION DOLLARS PER FISCAL YEAR. HOWEVER, HISTORICAL EXPENDITURES OVER THE PAST SEVERAL YEARS ARE 12 MILLION DOLLARS PER YEAR. FISCAL PRUDENCE DEMANDS THAT MEASURES BE UNDERTAKEN TO REDUCE THE COST OF THESE PROGRAMS. TO ENSURE THE ER PROGRAM REMAINS VIABLE, REFINEMENTS ARE NEEDED AS OUTLINED IN THE FOLLOWING PARAS.

2. FOR THOSE APPLYING FOR THE ER BENEFIT, THEY MUST STILL FOLLOW DIRECTIONS AT REF A WHICH REQUIRES A MEMBER TO HAVE AN AUTHORIZED COURSE OF STUDY IN ORDER TO BE REIMBURSED. AUTHORIZATION CONSISTS OF AN INDIVIDUAL LEARNING PLAN (ILP) APPROVED BY CDA/MILPERSGEN HQ. MEMBERS CAN SUBMIT THEIR ILP FOR APPROVAL BY ACCESSING THE ELECTRONIC INDIVIDUAL LEARNING PROGRAM AT HTTP://EILP-PAIE.KINGSTON.MIL.CA/EN/LOGIN/INDEX

3. IAW REFS B AND C, CDA/MILPERSGEN APPROVAL OF AN ILP, FOR REGULAR FORCE MEMBERS SEEKING EDUCATIONAL REIMBURSEMENT, IS PRIMARILY BASED ON WHETHER THE PROPOSED COURSE OF STUDY IS IN THE INTEREST OF THE CAF. EFFECTIVE UPON RELEASE OF THIS CANFORGEN, ILP FOR REGULAR FORCE MEMBERS WILL NOT NORMALLY BE APPROVED WHEN THE PROPOSED COURSE OF STUDY:

a. IS NOT APPLICABLE TO THE MEMBER�S CURRENT OR ANTICIPATED MILITARY ROLE OR OCCUPATION

b. DOES NOT LEAD TO A DIPLOMA OR DEGREE AWARDED FROM AN APPROVED CANADIAN UNIVERSITY, COLLEGE OR EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION

c. IS AT A NON-CANADIAN EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION

d. LEADS DIRECTLY TO A DOCTORATE DEGREE

e. WOULD REQUIRE REIMBURSEMENT GREATER THAN 28,500 DOLLARS FOR AN UNDERGRADUATE DEGREE OR DIPLOMA

f. WOULD LEAD TO THE MEMBER BEING REIMBURSED MORE THAN 38,000 DOLLARS OVER THE MEMBER�S CAREER IAW REF A

4. PREVIOUSLY APPROVED ILPS WILL CONTINUE TO BE FUNDED AS AGREED BETWEEN CDA/MILPERSGEN AND THE MEMBER. AMENDMENTS TO EXISTING ILPS THAT WOULD CAUSE A BREACH OF PARA 3F LIMITS ABOVE, WILL BE REVIEWED BY CDA/MILPERSGEN, IN CONSULTATION WITH THE MEMBER, BASED ON THESE NEW CRITERIA / RESTRICTIONS

5. NO CHANGE TO REFS D AND E

Wow, at $12M per year, they are spending about $170 per member.

Also, with B, will no longer be able to use it for getting professional certifications or similar.

That seems brutally short sighted, but at least they are honest about how cheap they are about actually putting money where their mouth is in terms of funding development of personnel outside the normal checklist for trades

Just to let people know, I started an ILP last semester (program approved) and was at least temporarily denied funding for adding courses semester (says will be reviewed if more funds become available).

So basically already approved ILPs are not all safe unless all the courses have already been approved.

It's a joke. I can't wait to see how much money the DND turns in this year, I guarantee you it's more than $6 million. I've been trying to find the info but I believe 2018 they turned in close to $1 billion dollars. And yet we need to make cuts to one of the best benefits we have?

I was fortunate that my program is done this year and the remaining money was endorsed. However, there were people who had the program approved back in November to start in May, paid their registration fees in March, and have been told they won't be grandfathered like the CANFORGEN says because "the funding wasn't approved yet." The funding is never approved until 1 Apr 19 because as a matter of formality.

Meanwhile the CAF is making a big push for us to get this particular program done (CPA designation)... and it costs about half of a Master's degree. So if the "APPROVAL OF AN ILP <cut> IS PRIMARILY BASED ON WHETHER THE PROPOSED COURSE OF STUDY IS IN THE INTEREST OF THE CAF" and these cuts are necessary "IN ORDER TO ASSURE LONG TERM AFFORDABILITY," they should be encouraging people to take a $15,000 CPA designation instead of a $37,000 Masters of Accounting (which is accredited by CPA Canada and only exists to prepare people for the CPA exam).

How can it be, that not even 2 months within the fiscal year and they already have no more funding for ILP's? 
This new system is a joke.  As somebody who is to be medically released in the near future, I was really hoping to be able to take advantage of the ill/injured members ILP to start my education while I'm still in. 
I was denied 3 times in the last 2 months.  Once for something that doesn't pertain to my trade (to which I had no idea that this change even existed).  Second apparently the same thing, but I have appealed it.  And the last due to no more funding.

Talk about supporting those in their transition period. 

I just read on the DWAN SWS that all ILPs will be cancelled by 31 December 2020, CANFORGEN to be released eventually. I thought I would give a heads up.

I emailed them this morning asking if I don't submit my claims by 31 December is that means I won't get reimbursed. They replied saying that the courses have to end prior to 31 December 2020 in order to be reimbursed. Then you have 12 months to submit the claim.

I just wanted to let people know this information in case some of you (like myself) are currently taking courses and maybe had until early 2021 to complete them, but knowing this information you may have adequate time to plan accordingly.

Edit: a new plan called "Education Expense Reimbursement" will replace the ILP.

Drallib said:
I just read on the DWAN SWS that all ILPs will be cancelled by 31 December 2020, CANFORGEN to be released eventually. I thought I would give a heads up.

What is SWS? Can you talk me on to the DWAN link or PM me a link?

I have been informed that it is the standard funding issue we have every year.  Currently funding is only approved to end Dec so any courses finishing after that are not funded.  That may or may not change so be sure you can afford to swallow the cost.  Really with ILP every year is a crap shoot and it is best to plan on swallowing the cost.  If you are able to claim it is a bonus for you.  A point for some as I didn't get it at first - approved ILP does not mean you will be reimbursed, it merely means your plan falls within the ILP perimeter and eligible for funding if available.  When it reads funded then you can submit a claim. 

CountDC said:
I have been informed that it is the standard funding issue we have every year.  Currently funding is only approved to end Dec so any courses finishing after that are not funded.  That may or may not change so be sure you can afford to swallow the cost.  Really with ILP every year is a crap shoot and it is best to plan on swallowing the cost.  If you are able to claim it is a bonus for you.  A point for some as I didn't get it at first - approved ILP does not mean you will be reimbursed, it merely means your plan falls within the ILP perimeter and eligible for funding if available.  When it reads funded then you can submit a claim.

It is that and the ILP system is likely changing in the near future with all current ILPs being cancelled and a new programme rolled out by Apr 21.

Back