• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Incentive Pay Category For Cadets Joining The CF

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 5.5 years in the cadets (Master Cadet) and time as a CIC officer allotted me 6 months time in (Pay/Service/Promo) also allotted my that time towards my CD.

DRRCHIEF >:D :army: :skull: :cdn:

2332Piper said:
Somehow the idea of cadet service being an accelerant to your military career strikes me as being a little...odd? Lets be honest here, Cadets isn't exactly representative of the CF, so what makes cadet training equivilant to CF training in such a manner that it serves to advance your promotion? I don't know, just seems odd.

When I was a new officer in 723 Comm in Halifax I heard that a new pte who had come over from the cadet corps would get promoted cpl after six months. That didn't seem right to me, what could being a kid in cadets do to justify that? I found out later that she had been a gold star with wreath, in charge of her corps as a Lt, and an instructor for several years in Gagetown.

I found someone who could give drill better than many reserve (and some reg) MCpls. I found someone who could instruct in a classroom better than most reserve nco's and officers. Someone whose dress and deportment were outstanding and had a work ethic that would exhaust most others.

Needless to say my attitude towards those who attained high qualifications in the cadets changed a great deal. Of course I could be biased as the former cadet in question has been my wife for almost 20 years now  ;D

Bravo Sigpig!
For pointing out some good points about the cadet system.  I have witnessed this as wll.  Although the Gold Star and wreath does not make it any better.  A lot of this steams from PRIDE! and this goes beyond Cadets/Res/Reg.  Myself, with the RES/REG I believe that I could have goven better lectures than that of my instructors in basic.

so let me make this clear, I was in air cadets for almost 5 years, and sucessfully completed 2 courses, 2 weeks long each... that would stand for a completed 6 week course? And what will be the benefit of this? prehaps someone could explain? Do I get higher pay? faster promotion?

sigpig said:
When I was a new officer in 723 Comm in Halifax I heard that a new pte who had come over from the cadet corps would get promoted cpl after six months. That didn't seem right to me, what could being a kid in cadets do to justify that? I found out later that she had been a gold star with wreath, in charge of her corps as a Lt, and an instructor for several years in Gagetown.

On the other hand, I'm guessing she wasn't promoted to corpral after six months, was she?

Just a Sig Op said:
On the other hand, I'm guessing she wasn't promoted to corpral after six months, was she?

Actually I believe she was, and deservedly so. Of course I am talking about 1984 so there may not be much relation to how things work today. Man it's scary when I realize how long ago some of these memories are  :eek:

kincanucks said:
When you are at the recruiting centre, let them know exactly what you have done in the past.

And be able to prove it.  It is not the job of the recruiting centre to look for a record of your previous cadet service.

exactly just approach your former unit and sign out your blue jacket file which they willl have and bring that with you to the RC... saves alot of time...

On a side note...

Somewhere, somehow, i heard that cadet years go towards pension time....BS?

thanks in advance

FSGT Lampkin said:
On a side note...

Somewhere, somehow, i heard that cadet years go towards pension time....BS?

thanks in advance

BS...pure and simple   ::)

I knew it was too good to be true  :p . lol 7 years cadets could have done wonders lol.....along with that rumor was that RMC time went to it (makes more sense cause ur actually employed) right? 25-7-4 = 14 years ....assuming graduate at 22, full pension at 36...thats disgusting lol......oh well im staying that long a few years doesn't really make a difference does it  :warstory:

#

• # cadets who have served a minimum of two years in the rank of warrant officer and above may be granted one year qualifying time in the rank of lieutenant for promotion to the rank of captain.

The above is from the first post.  I was curious, by the term warrant officer, if that counts for an army cadet warrent officer, or a air cadet warrent officer 2nd class.  The whole army/air thing has always kind of confused me, with regards that there is one more army cadet rank than air.  I'm just not sure how they match up.  When i went to Blackdown one summer for tech I was never told a definant answer about that, espcially since air cadets in blackdown were not well liked at all.

I retired as a Warrent Officer 2nd class and was just curious.  As a side note, I would have to agree that being a cadet is no where near the same as being in the military as mentioned.  But from what i've heard when i was on survival instructor course what we did there in manner of dialy routine, etc is very very similiar to basic training.  Just heard that from a bunch of the guys that were in the reserves at the time and  people i met furthur down the road.

I find it hard to believe that for the air cadet listing, that either flying scholorship or two 2 week courses count towards a six-week trade or specialty course.  Obviously it is so, but just really weird.  I could see power of course, but not any of the 2 or 3 week courses, but thats just me. 

CI Gubbels

I don't really understand it either, but I got 4 years and 2 2year courses done in air cadets, so I'm taking advantage of the situation :D

I suppose once your in, you can't file for this--
Even though I mentioned it on my application, and interview, and reference letter....
I don't think I got this placed on my file... what are the procedures and policies in trying to find out/ get it implemented? Slim to nil chance?

Spartan said:
I suppose once your in, you can't file for this--
Even though I mentioned it on my application, and interview, and reference letter....
I don't think I got this placed on my file... what are the procedures and policies in trying to find out/ get it implemented? Slim to nil chance?

Even though I mentioned it on my application, and interview, and reference letter.... Did you provide proof?

Go to your unit orderly room and ask them.   However,:

1. General. An applicant who has served in the Cadet Forces of Canada may, on the authority of the
Commanding Officer of a CFRC, be granted 180 days of Incentive Credit (IC) towards the Pte. IPC 2 pay category provided that the applicant meets both of the following criteria:

a. completed at least three years of Cadet Service terminating within five years of the date of
applications to the CF; and

b. successfully completed a six-week occupation or specialty course. An applicant with cadet
service may be granted an equivalency in lieu of this requirement at sub para a, if the Cadet
has completed the following appropriate environmental training:

1. Army Cadets â “ The Master Cadet qualification is equivalent to a six-week occupation or
specialty course;

2. Sea Cadets â “ Two summer camp courses, each of which is at least two weeks in duration, is
considered equivalent to a six-week occupation or specialty course; or

3. Air Cadets â “ Two summer camp courses, each of which is at least two weeks in duration, or
a Flying Scholarship, is equivalent to a six-week occupation or specialty course.

2. The credit granted to a cadet on enrolment is a one-time recognition of the experience they have
gained throughout their cadet training. Credit will be granted only on enrolment in one of the components of the CF and will not be granted on a subsequent transfer between components. Furthermore, cadet service is not eligible for inclusion when calculating Time Credit for Promotion on enrolment.

Its just as well they know what entitlements they have.

The CF will never let them know what they can get... Its a, if you find out, we'll give it to you.

I believe now all you need to do is prove that you served the required time as a cadet, and completed the required courses.

I had a copy of the cover of my cadet file that I attached to my application, which had my enrollment date/aging out date, as well as my summer courses, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back