• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Inaccuracies on my previous service record.

x-grunt

Reaction score
Finally, my VFS is here! But the darn thing has holes in it.
I guess this post is partly to vent, and partly asking for advice.
I served at the dawn of time, in the late '70's. Left in '80. So my previous service record is a bit dusty, and those who compiled it are long gone.

While it's not a deal breaker for re-enlistment, I note that 2 courses I took in-unit and passed are not listed, my TQ2 machine gunner qual and a patrolling course. As well, my record shows outstanding kit never returned, which is not true but I will simply pay the amount and get on with it. After all this time trying to sort out kit issues is probably futile.

It pisses me off that my record doesn't reflect my training. I have a TQ2 course I failed due to an accident- now that is listed! But my successful course is not recorded? Other than the fact that my record is inaccurate, I can't help think it looks a bit underwhelming to the CFRC to see an officer applicant with previous service that apparently has outstanding kit and failed his TQ2 course.

It was no secret that my unit back then was an admin nightmare, but that's long ago and now it's come back to haunt me.

So, I will contact the old unit and see if I can get some records updated, but I don't hold much hope as it's been so long. Any one have any advice on things I can try/places I can contact?

Don't worry about it because it is not relevant.   If the interviewer asks you about it then just provide a reasonable explanation but I highly doubt he/she cares as long as you have paid the amount owing.   I know I wouldn't.   Cheers.

for the courses, do you have the course reports?, Have you checked your UER? thats all I can think of at the moment

Kincanucks, you're a good man to have around these parts. Thanks for that. Hope you have an outstanding time in the UK.

someguyincanada, thanks for the input. I'll see what the unit still has, but I strongly doubt I'll have much luck after 25 years. I'm not overly worried about this, but it would be nice to get credit for what I did (even if the training is old and using obsolete weapons and tactics). But I won't rock any boats for it.

Twenty five years?!

Don't spend time on it. Depending on a number of factors, some qualifications are good for five years, basic training could be valid for ten. More often than not, if a course has changed dramatically from when the qualification was granted, it won't be valid. A TQ 2 machine gunner course from 1980...we were using the GPMG and .50 cal (pre QCB) and the C6 wasn't in yet.

Don't sweat it.

Do you have your old UER?  Course photos?  Regimental annual books or periodic newsletters?  Base newspaper articles about your course?  Was you qual published in unit routine orders? 

"the C6 wasn't in yet."  Correct - except for ones on the Leopard tanks.

Tom

kitrad1 said:
Don't sweat it.

I won't. I know these quals are old and dead. I just don't want to look like a loser to the interviewers. Kincanucks set me straight about how it will look, so I'll just pay up and move on.

Thanks TCBF, good suggestions.

I've got what I needed! Asked and answered to my satisfaction.

Back