• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

In the Field...

River Fenix

Inactive
Reaction score
I know everyone here has some kind of funny story to tell, so I was just wondering if anyone would like to share them. Most story's I have, or hear, require for you to be on the Gun Line to even understand them.. but I still think it would be interesting to hear some tales from behind the guns.

I guess I should start off with my own before I ask for others to jump right in...

On my QL3, we had a Gun det of 6 guns (lets call them WA,C,H,N,W and myself) in addition, we had our #1 and 2 I/C. Well after about 4 days without sleep (this is on our end of course FTX where we finally went Live), people were starting to get a little sleepy.. to say the least. Ive heard that my QL3 ex was the worst of all time for lack of sleep. fire missions one after another with 20 min intervals, and orders that took 30mins to get to us.. (GPOs initials, with 30mins between each order).

So anyways.. this one particular night we pulled onto, what looked to be (from the back of the gun tractor) to be a beautifully flat plain. Of course, as soon as we got the good old "Halt, Action Rear", we found out that it was riddled with rocks the size of the Gun. So my Det jumped out of the Truck and we took our places. The codder pin was on the #7 side, so it was his job to undo the pin and lift the latch. We had just taken about a 20 min ride to this position and we were all extremely tired and just wanted to get set up and go back to bed. We all took our positions and we get "prepare to lift... LIFT" and of course the codder pin and latch aren't touched. We all look around, a little Stuppified, and then we realize that we left "N" asleep in the back of the gun tractor. So WA (this Huge guy, Corrections Canada prison guard) climbed up in the back of the truck and "wakes" N up.

Later that night, our #1 sent N our on sentry (probably because of this little mishap). he went out on sentry about 1am. After the Gun was all set up, and the ammo was laid out under the ammo hooch, we were told to get some sleep. I jumped into the back of the tractor and passed out lying skewed on some plug rounds between the 2 bussels.

At about 3am, I woke up to a torrential Downpour. about 10 minutes later I fell back asleep and as soon as I fell asleep again (of course), "FIRE MISSION BATTERY!".

I wake up... look around for my rain jacket for a minute.. and decide that its someplace Ill never find it. I jump out of the truck and stand at my position (#5, one of 3 loaders that night). After we get a couple of the Orders and theres a lull over the FABCS, we start talking a bit. Then we realize that N still hasn't come back from Sentry (he was the last sentry on the list and therefore had no replacement). I suggested running over to tell him to come back, but since we were all sleep fucked, my 2 IC assumed he had fallen asleep and that we'd might as well leave him there. (by then it was 5am and we were going to be getting a prep to move around 6:30.)

a little later, the adjusting Gun not being us, my #1 told me to go back to sleep. I woke up a little early, so I went out to take a piss out in front of the truck. While i was standing there I heard a slapping sound. then I heard it again. about every 10 seconds I could hear the sound of someone slapping a hand against skin. I looked around and Found N sitting at his Sentry... slapping himself in the face to try and stay awake. I told him that we'd assumed he had fallen asleep.. and  he was so angry because he had been trying to keep himself awake the entire night.

N got the next few fire missions off, to sleep... but it was still one of the funniest things that happened during that Ex.

K, So does anyone else have any good stories to tell?

-River

HAHAHA...that was a fun feild EX.  I have way too many stupid stories from it.

Back