• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

In new directive, US Army reins in Army Futures Command

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Dinosaur
Reaction score
Seems like they've toppled a monster they created themselves ....

In new directive, US Army reins in Army Futures Command​

While previous directives intended “to build momentum, this guidance primarily addressed roles arising early in the equipping lifecycle, when requirements are evolving and experimentation takes place,” she wrote. “It did not adequately account for the shifting roles and functions as requirements move into development as programs of record through production, fielding, and sustainment.”

The previous directives also “created ambiguity regarding the primacy of acquisition authorities vested in the Army Secretariat that preserve civilian oversight and control in acquisition matters,” Wormuth said.

To get capabilities delivered to soldiers, the Army needs input and contributions of a variety of organizations, “not the unitary direction of one Army command,” she said.

Now as modernization programs move through the lifecycle, different Army organizations will assume primary roles, Wormuth noted.

Retired Lt. Gen. Tom Spoehr, now with the Heritage Foundation, told Defense News the directive “returns the Army to the way things were pre-2018 with a few exceptions. Army Futures Command exists but does not share or drive any acquisition efforts.”

“AFC clearly still develops requirements and concepts, but now has a much more limited role in the acquisition of capabilities,” he added.

Gotta be honest. I didn't know this organization even existed

Oh ... how long before the Canadian Forces see a compelling need for another very senior (⭐⭐⭐ at least) GOFO and our very own Futures Command?🤦‍♂️

Oh ... how long before the Canadian Forces see a compelling need for another very senior (⭐⭐⭐ at least) GOFO and our very own Futures Command?🤦‍♂️

iron man GIF

Doesn't the CAF already have a directorate like that? A bunch of field grade officers who sit around and think shit up?

It's not too clear where this will land but it strikes me that AFC was a success story replacing years of failures. One shouldn't mess with success. This strikes me as drifting towards a mistake.

Civilian oversight ought to lead to program stability but all too often it just results in turf wars. That strikes me as a distinct possibility if AFC's role changes from control to advisory only.

🍻

It's not too clear where this will land but it strikes me that AFC was a success story replacing years of failures. One shouldn't mess with success. This strikes me as drifting towards a mistake.

Civilian oversight ought to lead to program stability but all too often it just results in turf wars. That strikes me as a distinct possibility if AFC's role changes from control to advisory only.

🍻
AFC never had title 10 authority.
Realistically they only created CFT’s (cross functional teams) to gain personnel from Acquisitions - and influence those personnel.

Honestly to me, FC was a BS sham designed to claim success and hide a lot of procurement problems.

The whole system is FUBAR and needs a microscope rammed up a lot of senior brass and GS Civilians.

Back