• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Improved Combat Uniform

ObedientiaZelum said:
It's not a requirement in the Geneva Conventions.

Also Canada doesn't follow the conventions on PWs to the letter.  :-X

Why do you say that?  What parts of the conventions and additional protocols did we not follow?

ObedientiaZelum said:
I can't wait for big black and green IR flags to sneekaly replace the big red and white ones and all the O-groups to follow.
Saw a guy at the dining hall a few days ago with big red flag left, and IR green flag right side. Extra sure he was a Canadian now.

Caveat: I am not a legal expert.  In my opinion I have a somewhat more informed view having taken courses on the Law of Armed Conflict (which included looking at the Hague and Geneva Conventions, etc and how they relate to conflicts).

Absolutely no where is it stated that military members have to wear a nations flag anywhere, or at any time.  I'm paraphrasing, but the requirement relates to "does this person qualify for PW status under the convention" - a military member must be able to be distinguished as a member of a military force of a nation (wearing a uniform that set it apart from other actors).  Wearing CADPAT would meet this requirement.  Military members are even allowed to not wear a uniform, but run the risk of being considered a spy and conducting espionage (which invalidates their right to PW status).

Without going too far down the rabbit hole - it is true that Canada has not ratified all the protocols and amendments that would fall into your argument. I'd suggest cracking open the books to fully grasp the absolute claim you are attempting to make.  There is a reason why we have Legal experts who deal with these exact questions - they are (usually) not black and white.

soccerplayer131 said:
As a country who was present at, and signed all Geneva Conventions, if an individual Canadian soldier or unit has broken the Geneva Convention, then they are required to be court martialed, and face serious consequences if found guilty.

If the CF as a whole have been breaking the GC regarding treatment of PWs, then they can and should be brought before the ICC and face charges for war crimes.

Very nice. Let me know how that works out in the real world.

I'm not dismissing your opinion....jus saying maybe you should tone down the indignation.

dangerboy said:
Why do you say that?  What parts of the conventions and additional protocols did we not follow?

I'll have to look for my copy of the conventions but there are a few examples where we don't follow them to the letter. Such as what the Geneva conventions say PWs must disclose (name rank military [service] number) and what Canadians are trained to disclose. If I recall correctly we give 2 or 3 extra tidbits of info.  Not earth shattering by any extent but not following the conventions to the letter either.

So, has anyone seen purple trades that are air force or navy in this yet? So far it's just the army guys wearing the new digs. I'm pretty sure if I go hand in my ragged ass combat cozies, I won't be issued the new one, even if they don't have my size in stock because I wear a blue t-shirt in Garrison. Vern, you hear anything about the scale of issue for the new tops?

MeatheadMick said:
So, has anyone seen purple trades that are air force or navy in this yet? So far it's just the army guys wearing the new digs. I'm pretty sure if I go hand in my ragged *** combat cozies, I won't be issued the new one, even if they don't have my size in stock because I wear a blue t-shirt in Garrison. Vern, you hear anything about the scale of issue for the new tops?
They have them in Comox now.  I saw them at stores last week.

The RCAF rank Velcro patch is the same color as the current slip-on, except the border of the Velcro patch is also air force blue color.

soccerplayer131 said:
Now, this is my uninformed civilian point of view, but to the person/people above suggesting just not wearing any flag, is this not a violation of the Geneva Convention? I believe a flag from your country of origin must be worn.

Sometimes it is better to wear a sanatized uniform.

I have an obvious bias but IMO the Brit uniform looks more professional with the shirt tucked into the pants, and a stable belt while in garrison.

Clearly we're not going to introduce stable belts here as that would add an unnecessary cost but the shirt tucked in could have been done. However, I'm quite sure the CF members whose physique resembles that of a pear would be quite opposed to it.

Tango18A said:
Have you seen the new MTP? No more tucking it in
I'm assuming your either being sarcastic or aren't referring to the Brit uniform.

Tango18A said:
Mixed bag

It looks like that photo was taken in an operational theatre.

Here is a picture of the paras during Remembrance Day ceremonies in Colchester. Their shirts are all tucked in which is how the combat uniform is worn while in garrison. IMO it makes for a more professional looking working dress.

Tango18A said:
Mixed bag

The Brits have always taken uniformity very, very seriously  :sarcasm:  which means that every regiment and corps has unique kit and within most everyone tries very hard to not dress the same as the next fellow.

X_para76 said:

Here is a picture of the paras during Remembrance Day ceremonies in Colchester. Their shirts are all tucked in which is how the combat uniform is worn while in garrison. IMO it makes for a more professional looking working dress.
I suppose that makes up for the giant heads of hair they like to sport.

jollyjacktar said:
I suppose that makes up for the giant heads of hair they like to sport.

I can't argue with that. The officers do tend to grow rather outrageous coiff's.

Military air cuts "evolve" with time:

See at min. 0:58 = US Navy air cuts of the 1960's. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SwgU42XSpw

X_para76 said:

I'm surprised that the British Army would wear operational clothing during ceremonies such as Remembrance Day. 

As for tucking/not tucking in shirts, IMO the USMC manages to look working dress look professional and likely more comfortable as well:
Marines_in_formation.jpg

Back