• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Improved Combat Uniform

RangerRay said:
Will this new ICU be restricted to field duty, or will we see everyone (army, RCAF, RCN) wearing these uniforms for office duty too?

Don't know about the RCAF, but in the RCN, we have our own combat uniform, the NCD (Naval Combat Dress), and specialized dress for boarding parties, so we only get issued and wear the "Army" combat uniform if we actually have to go in the field on land operations and we return them right after. As for office work, generally in the Navy if you do purely office work, you wear "office" dress, which means you wear your DEU as dress of the day.

Loachman said:
It's alright, Moe.

In about forty years, a cabal of decrepit, semi-senile Honourary Colonels and the like will conspire to "restore" the old, smaller, less-gaudy Canadian flags to a generation of troops who have never worn them and this will generate an unbelievable level of political support. "We must have slip-ons back, too, to honour our Vets who died in Afghanistan while wearing slip-ons".

And I'll be laughing about it on a beach somewhere down south.  If I'm still alive....  ;)

You'll still be well shy of three digits, so you should be alright.

Especially if they're serving preservatives refreshments on that beach.

These things must be very new. Nobody on my own BMQ course was issued one,  but I saw maybe 10% of a newer course wearing them. I confess I find the flags butt-ugly.

Moore said:
New tops finally being rolled out? Or are they currently being given out at BMQ? Also notice They're Infantry. I remember reading that Infantry will be the first to get them which makes sense.

5UXgfai.jpg

Oh christ, that photo and all the hashtags make me a little sick... Serious case of FNG...

Noticed so far that it's just the Army getting the upgrade. Haven't seen any Air or Navy purple trades with the new tops yet.

Does it really matter about size of the flag? Type of pockets or flaps? Velcro or no velcro rank?

For people not even in the forces yet, please stop worrying about BLOODY FASHION statement. Besides, nothing looks sexier than a ghillie suit. Seriously, what make you effective as a soldier? Physical fitness, mental toughness, current and relevant training, lots of weapons handling and shooting. More shooting. Loads more shooting. Plenty of exercises to practice the skills. I still have the CADPAT that is nothing more than the old OD uniforms with CADPAT pattern instead of green. I still have one shirt left with buttons exposed. Did this make me a less relevant soldier on my last ex? Hells no.

In fact, this old dinosaur, Rickasaurus Gruntis, was required to teach young privates, corporals and new MASTER corporals how to do fighting patrols and patrol base routine.

Lets not focus on the peas and keep eyes on the steak please. Selection and Maintenance of the aim.

ArmyRick said:
...Lets not focus on the peas and keep eyes on the steak please. Selection and Maintenance of the aim.

:eek:

Hey now!  Was that a Principle of War you just quoted there, ArmyRick?  ;)

Just imagine what could happen if other people started using those things.

I suspect in the field guntape will be covering the flag. As for the details of the uniform, feedback on what works and does not is important to improving the design.

George Wallace said:
Never just go with the simplest solution.  >:D

Hey!  I'm not at work.  I'm allowed to be logical.  :nod:

I can't wait for big black and green IR flags to sneekaly replace the big red and white ones and all the O-groups to follow.

soccerplayer131 said:
Now, this is my uninformed civilian point of view, but to the person/people above suggesting just not wearing any flag, is this not a violation of the Geneva Convention? I believe a flag from your country of origin must be worn.

In the training area during a field ex, I hardly think it's an issue.

George Wallace said:
Logical....Common Sense.....You know what they say..... ;D

Yeah, I'm not allowed to be logical at work.  That's why I do it at home.  ;)

soccerplayer131 said:
Now, this is my uninformed civilian point of view, but to the person/people above suggesting just not wearing any flag, is this not a violation of the Geneva Convention? I believe a flag from your country of origin must be worn.

It's not a requirement in the Geneva Conventions.

Also Canada doesn't follow the conventions on PWs to the letter.  :-X

Back