• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Improved Combat Uniform

Maybe a CANFORGEN is imminent declaring Friday's to be 'Beachwear Day', in order to save wear and tear on our obviously insufficient stock of CADPAT uniforms.

Towards_the_gap said:
Maybe a CANFORGEN is imminent declaring Friday's to be 'Beachwear Day', in order to save wear and tear on our obviously insufficient stock of CADPAT uniforms.

Or <gasp> DEU 3 .....  ;D

If they are smart they should start releasing the AR CADPAT for wear.

Why not just ditch DEU, switch the main effort to pumping out CADPAT, and get some white belts to wear with CADPAT on special occasions? ;D

daftandbarmy said:
Why not just ditch DEU, switch the main effort to pumping out CADPAT, and get some white belts to wear with CADPAT on special occasions? ;D

I pray to God you're being sarcastic. 

Matt_Fisher said:
I pray to God you're being sarcastic.

I think it is a great idea!  Parade uniforms are napoleonic!  CADPAT can be dressed up nicely for a parade.  Then we can go to the Patrol blues for anyone who as a need to dress up, such generals and HQ types in Ottawa.  Blues would be at your expense and would replace mess kit as well.  2 uniforms only.

fraserdw said:
I think it is a great idea!  Parade uniforms are napoleonic!  CADPAT can be dressed up nicely for a parade.  Then we can go to the Patrol blues for anyone who as a need to dress up, such generals and HQ types in Ottawa.  Blues would be at your expense and would replace mess kit as well.  2 uniforms only.

Perfect. That way we keep the focus on combat effectiveness and not 'tick tock' parade ground stuff.

Maybe each Brigade could field a duty colur party, in dress blues, for the special occasions for each unit, so you don't have to waste time doing drill.

oh, wait... I forgot

:bowing:

daftandbarmy said:
Perfect. That way we keep the focus on combat effectiveness and not 'tick tock' parade ground stuff.

Maybe each Brigade could field a duty colur party, in dress blues, for the special occasions for each unit, so you don't have to waste time doing drill.

oh, wait... I forgot

:bowing:

In my Canada!? I think not.  ;D

fraserdw said:
I think it is a great idea!  Parade uniforms are Napoleonic!  CADPAT can be dressed up nicely for a parade.  Then we can go to the Patrol blues for anyone who as a need to dress up, such generals and HQ types in Ottawa.  Blues would be at your expense and would replace mess kit as well.  2 uniforms only.

Yes lets give soldiers one less thing to be disciplined in doing. No polishing boots, no ironing shirts or dry cleaning. Why not issue each soldier a squire to clean his weapon for him on range day? I may not have that long in the military, but the discipline level of fresh soldiers arriving to work drops every year. We don't need to help that along any more than we already do. I blame MTV.

Colin P said:
Black coveralls and battledress.  :nod:

Hmmmm... I think I've found a reference that matches what you're talking about. At least you can wear your Iron Cross with your battle rig!  ;D

http://www.google.ca/search?q=ss%2Bpanzer%2Bdivision%2Buniforms&hl=en&rlz=1T4ADFA_enCA388CA388&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=6lIZUK3YMYH9igLTy4GgDw&ved=0CFgQsAQ&biw=848&bih=376

CanadianTire said:
I don't think this has been brought up yet...but something to think about: Order of the Undercollar http://www.orderoftheundercollar.com/.

Not sure how they would relate to us?  US Army officers wore branch insignia on their collar with the old BDU/DCU uniforms,  when they switched to ACU they no longer did that.  Hench custom made patches were made so they could still do it unofficially.  When have Canadians worn insignia on their collars in our current CADPAT uniform?  What would a Canadian put onto that small patch of velcro that comes with the ECU mandarin collar?

CanadianTire said:
I don't think this has been brought up yet...but something to think about: Order of the Undercollar http://www.orderoftheundercollar.com/.

Was already brought up in respect to the Velcro on the sleeve pockets and the CADPAT fabric panel which will cover them.

Matt_Fisher said:
...The upper sleeve pockets (5" wide x 6.5" tall) are 'flight crew' side entry style rather than the top flap style that's been used on the CADPAT AR shirt and the FR Hybrid Shirt.  The surface of the sleeve pocket is covered by a 4" wide x 6.5" tall section of loop Velcro and the shirt will come with 2 x CADPAT removable (backed by hook Velcro) patch panels (4" wide x 4.5" tall) to cover the majority of the loop Velcro, save a 4" wide x 2" tall section at the top of the sleeve pocket, which I assume is left exposed in order to allow placement of the Canadian flag badge.
It'll be interesting to see whether a Canadian version of the 'Order of the Undercollar' (www.orderoftheundercollar.com) will arise whereby morale and other type badges will be worn 'secretly' under the CADPAT patch panel.
Also, the current means of attaching brassards/armlets to the shirt sleeve will not be possible because the fabric and Velcro tabe that's at the top of the left sleeve has been eliminated.  It's probably likely that Velcro attached identifier badges, i.e. RSO, MP, Med Tech, Course Senior, Traffic Tech, etc. will be worn on the sleeve pocket Velcro panels in lieu of brassards with the identifiers on them.

CanadianTire said:
lol, I like this quote from that linked site:
On the Battle Dress Uniform (BDU) officers wore their rank on the right collar and branch on the left collar. When you were in a discussion with an Infantry Officer you knew you were talking to an Infantry Officer and you could adapt your speech to their mind set of thinking.

daftandbarmy said:
Hmmmm... I think I've found a reference that matches what you're talking about. At least you can wear your Iron Cross with your battle rig!  ;D

http://www.google.ca/search?q=ss%2Bpanzer%2Bdivision%2Buniforms&hl=en&rlz=1T4ADFA_enCA388CA388&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=6lIZUK3YMYH9igLTy4GgDw&ved=0CFgQsAQ&biw=848&bih=376

I was thinking of Canada who used to make soldier wear coveralls in the field post-war as there was no "combat uniform" but certainly the Germans had style when it came to uniforms.

Colin P said:
I was thinking of Canada who used to make soldier wear coveralls in the field post-war as there was no "combat uniform" but certainly the Germans had style when it came to uniforms.

Crewmen still wore black coveralls, daily in the field, at least until the late '70's.

-Skeletor- said:
Not sure how they would relate to us?  US Army officers wore branch insignia on their collar with the old BDU/DCU uniforms,  when they switched to ACU they no longer did that.  Hench custom made patches were made so they could still do it unofficially.  When have Canadians worn insignia on their collars in our current CADPAT uniform?  What would a Canadian put onto that small patch of velcro that comes with the ECU mandarin collar?

I was thinking more morale patch type things...as Matt_Fisher pointed out in his refernce to when OotUC was brought up earlier. It will be interesting to see if anyone tries it and to what result.

Back