• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Improved Combat Uniform

E.R. Campbell said:
The Brits have always taken uniformity very, very seriously  :sarcasm:  which means that every regiment and corps has unique kit and within most everyone tries very hard to not dress the same as the next fellow.

We have a Brit exchange officer here.  He tries to not dress the same from day to day! 

Dimsum said:
I'm surprised that the British Army would wear operational clothing during ceremonies such as Remembrance Day. 

As for tucking/not tucking in shirts, IMO the USMC manages to look working dress look professional and likely more comfortable as well:
Marines_in_formation.jpg

The USMC also has way more money, more staff, and able to offer more sizes. Leaving smaller militaries like Canada, left with a small selection of uniforms and sizes so that small people end up with uniforms that are 2 sizes too large.

RedcapCrusader said:
The USMC also has way more money, more staff, and able to offer more sizes. Leaving smaller militaries like Canada, left with a small selection of uniforms and sizes so that small people end up with uniforms that are 2 sizes too large.

Fair - on second thought, the USMC wasn't the best comparison.  I'd say the Australian Defence Force is the most similar (budget, staff, etc.) and their uniforms are broadly similar to that cut.  I work with RAAF folks on the large and small end of the spectrum and they don't seem to have much of a problem getting decently-fitting uniforms. 

*Note:  I'm not suggesting each service having their own combat uniform "just because" - that's what the RAAF did essentially for brand recognition. 

Dimsum said:
Fair - on second thought, the USMC wasn't the best comparison.  I'd say the Australian Defence Force is the most similar (budget, staff, etc.) and their uniforms are broadly similar to that cut.  I work with RAAF folks on the large and small end of the spectrum and they don't seem to have much of a problem getting decently-fitting uniforms. 

*Note:  I'm not suggesting each service having their own combat uniform "just because" - that's what the RAAF did essentially for brand recognition.

Which then comes down to the poor management of our poor procurement and supply system.

RedcapCrusader said:
Which then comes down to the poor management of our poor procurement and supply system.

When troops are buying their own boots because we cannot issue them, there is a huge issue.

Jim Seggie said:
When troops are buying their own boots because we cannot issue them, there is a huge issue.

Agreed.  That is not on.

Jim Seggie said:

100% accurate point. 

As a PO2 Suptech it is embarrassing that we cannot issue simple things like boots to sailors/soldiers/airmen.  I know the issue lays deeper than the 00168 (911) folks but we have to be the ones to bare the brunt of the bewilderment when we tell people no boots for you...

Halifax Tar said:
100% accurate point. 

As a PO2 Suptech it is embarrassing that we cannot issue simple things like boots to sailors/soldiers/airmen.  I know the issue lays deeper than the 00168 (911) folks but we have to be the ones to bare the brunt of the bewilderment when we tell people no boots for you...

As leaders we have to ensure that are troops are properly kitted out and trained and administered. Anything less is a failure.

Jim Seggie said:
As leaders we have to ensure that are troops are properly kitted out and trained and administered. Anything less is a failure.
+1000

Just curious as a taxpayer, here:  is this happening in the odd spot here across Canada (suggesting local glitches), or all over the place (suggesting issues higher up the chain)?

The shortage of boots is not new.  It has been going on for several years now.  Before that problem arose, we saw a problem with cap badge, where the Supply System had run out of various cap badges.  Some organizations were able to cover those shortages through their Kit Shops, but this called for the expense to come out of non-public funds by the unit or out of pocket by the individual.

I'm also remembering the mukluk shortage, too, discussed just as vehemently here.

milnews.ca said:
I'm also remembering the mukluk shortage, too, discussed just as vehemently here.
That shortage is not resolved.

In the '72, I did an Air Defence Command review of uniform shortages for air defence radar stations. Airmen were wearing civilian parkas to keep warm but the service (then the new tri-service) refused to buy any military winter clothing. They would buy new 'greens' and anything else made for walking out, but not operational winter clothing. I made lots of noise but was shown the door.

George Wallace said:
Before that problem arose, we saw a problem with cap badge, where the Supply System had run out of various cap badges.  Some organizations were able to cover those shortages through their Kit Shops, but this called for the expense to come out of non-public funds by the unit or out of pocket by the individual.
Yep. We're short at both levels, NCMs and Offrs.

And there's also the apparent shortage of CDs, too.

Anyone on here know if the new rank velcro patch will have unit "hi-vis" identifiers sewn on (similar to what we have now) or will the unit name be sewn directly onto the patch? I'm thinking of ordering one from CP gear since I'm getting tired of wearing Canada.

Thanks.

slayer/raptor said:
Anyone on here know if the new rank velcro patch will have unit "hi-vis" identifiers sewn on (similar to what we have now) or will the unit name be sewn directly onto the patch? I'm thinking of ordering one from CP gear since I'm getting tired of wearing Canada.

Thanks.

I do believe they will be in hi-vis....

Roger they will be in Hi-vis, but will it be a unit identify flash (as in a piece of cloth) or just the letters will be directly embroidered in the patch.

The ones I have seen are like the current in-service ones...

Same. They will sew the identifier on to the slip on from what I understand.

In fact 12 RBC has an issue with the ones the G4 produced. They made the 12e at the bottom instead of 12ᵉ at the top.

I returned from my last trip to the local clothing store with 5 brown t-shirts. While I was at the counter, I asked the clark if they were issuing the new combat uniform. His answer was priceless : ''Not to you, sir. We don't have your rank patches in stock''.

Back