• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Illegal Border Crossing into Canada - Asylum Seekers

Over 4000 KMs and we argue how much better the economy is.  [:D  If we could all commute those KMs to fill the high paying jobs daily.

jmt18325 said:
I'll tell you what.  Canada has the best economy it has at any time in 17 years, and he's remained relatively popular.  He seems like he was ready after all.

Tell you what.  Why don't I remind you what it was you said, and what I was replying to...

jmt18325 said:
...No Prime Minister of Canada has ever sought to bring down anyone in Canada.

Does that help you understand my reply to your statement any better?

Altair said:
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2017-07-28/alberta-tops-b-c-to-reclaim-lead-in-canadian-growth-survey

https://www.google.ca/amp/nationalpost.com/news/canada/from-the-doghouse-to-a-powerhouse-quebecs-economy-has-rebounded/wcm/2309f155-c7d5-4617-b95a-d359f227bafe/amp
Seems alright to me.

Really?  The folks I know in the resource industry might have another opinion.  As might some of the other resource provinces.  There's more than just one.  And there's still the Maritimes.

jollyjacktar said:
Really?  The folks I know in the resource industry might have another opinion.  As might some of the other resource provinces.  There's more than just one.  And there's still the Maritimes.

Good for them - overall, growth is higher than at any other time since the year 2000. 

jollyjacktar said:

If it's true and accurate then that's pretty awesome.

Between Clinton's chances of winning at 99% and our media fawning over the PM s selfies and staged photo ops infront of mathematical calculations I'm a bit slow to trust online articles.

jollyjacktar said:
he's agreed to pipelines, and he cannot control the global price of oil.

Despite that, Alberta looks like they will be rebounding shortly.

As for the Maritimes, they gave been a economic basket case for what, the last 5 prime ministers?

Tall order to ask trudeau to personally fix those two issues.

As for the Canadian economy on a whole, Ontario is doing decently, Quebec isn't a economic basket case and Albert a is looking like they will adjust to 50 dollar oil again and will once again lead Canada in growth.

Not bad.

jmt18325 said:
Good for them - overall, growth is higher than at any other time since the year 2000.

You forgot your sarcasm emogi.  Oh wait, you were serious. 

For the folks I know,  things are not good.  The job prospects I had in the patch are gone and not to return. Newfoundland is hurting, not booming anymore.  Not seeing really good times back home in NS either.

Pipelines, yeah... I doubt it will come to anything.  You're correct, Altair, no blame can be laid on any PMs feet about the price of oil.  Most of the big projects in Alberta are gone, the leases returned and doubtful things will swing back that far again.

Basket case history or not, the Maritimes are hurting and your ooooh la la everythings fine under the sun in Canada isn't necessarily so for all.

jmt18325 said:

Before stating random general info, please provide company financials to back up your claims.

My investments know better.

I don't really care about your investments.  Real GDP grew at an annualized figure of 4.6% last quarter.  I'm serious, because that's the truth.  You guys can make up scenarios all you want - it doesn't change that reality.

It also doesn't change the reality for the people crossing the border illegally.  They're not here because of any Trudeau tweet.  They're here because of someone else whose name happens to start with a T.

jmt18325 said:
.....  They're not here because of any Trudeau tweet.  They're here because of someone else whose name happens to start with a T.

If you don't think that they are here because of Trudeau's tweets and statements, you are plain outright foolish.  It doesn't matter what they may think the President of the US may do; it is what our Prime Minister has already done....OPEN THE GATES to one and all.  If you can't understand that half of the equation, then I can only shake my head in disbelief.

They are here because they can get into Canada right now easier than I can with a green passport.  Not because of Trump, only because we aren't stopping them from coming in.  I can't blame the neighbor for his dog being in my backyard if I left my gate open.  That the dog was running around is a separate issue, but the reason it ended up in my yard is my issue.

jollyjacktar said:
Not seeing really good times back home in NS either.

Sidebar.  They are going to open a new coal mine.  Nothing major but jobs are jobs.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/donkin-coal-mine-cape-breton-1.4003452

Sure, and IKEA has hired for their new store at Dartmouth Crossing too.  Why don't we throw in the Bluenose is finally sailing too while we're at it.  That's meant a job or two too, no doubt.  (which might  help offset the end of millions spent on that white elephant)...

George Wallace said:
If you don't think that they are here because of Trudeau's tweets and statements, you are plain outright foolish.  It doesn't matter what they may think the President of the US may do; it is what our Prime Minister has already done....OPEN THE GATES to one and all.  If you can't understand that half of the equation, then I can only shake my head in disbelief.

No rules have been changed.  Nothing about the way this is or would have been handled has changed.

Eye In The Sky said:
They are here because they can get into Canada right now easier than I can with a green passport.

The only people who can stop that are the Americans on their side of the border.  There's nothing we can do to stop them from illegally crossing, other than arresting them upon entry, which we already are.

Jarnhamar said:
We could build a wall...

That is the only other solution - a solution, given the costs of the wall on the southern US border, that would run into the hundreds of billions.  I'd just rather hire more cops and immigration investigators and get these people sorted more quickly.

jmt18325 said:
That is the only other solution - a solution, given the costs of the wall on the southern US border, that would run into the hundreds of billions.  I'd just rather hire more cops and immigration investigators and get these people sorted more quickly.
yup.

Bring them in, arrest them, let them go, sort them out, send half of them to Haiti.

Hire more staff if needed to speed the process up.

Send all of them back to Haiti.  Then tell them to get in line like everybody else if they want to return.

Back