• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Illegal Border Crossing into Canada - Asylum Seekers

Once they are in Canada, I doubt the US would take them back.

Don't get me wrong, I am not without compassion for those less fortunate than Canadians are.  BUT...we are a country with, like all countries, limited resources.  We simply can't allow everyone who wants to come here in.  Those that do come have to, or should IMO, have something to bring to the table;  a skill, a trade, something that will make them a benefit the way Canada will benefit them.  They have to have the ability to, at some point and for the long term, pay taxes and contribute to Canadian society in a real, tangible way.

So much for treating our soldiers like adults/  :not-again:
The CAF Operation to raise the tent city n Cornwall is dry for our soldiers...not even the two per day allowance.  ::)

[rant] MADD Puritans strike again.[/rant]

kratz said:
So much for treating our soldiers like adults/  :not-again:
The CAF Operation to raise the tent city n Cornwall is dry for our soldiers...not even the two per day allowance.  ::)

The PMCs in the Armoury they are billeted in are none to happy about this, either.

Jarnhamar said:
Is it reserves pulling guard duty on this task or regs?
Nobody from the CAF is pulling guard duty.  That is a local law enforcement task, if required.  The asylum seekers have already undergone preliminary screening by the CBSA and are free to come and go as they please as long as they attend their scheduled immigration examinations.

Ah right on. I seen pictures of CAF pers putting up tents, I figured they would be manning the camp or something.  I wonder which hotels they will be put up in this winter, I can't see them staying in tents.

Jarnhamar said:
Ah right on. I seen pictures of CAF pers putting up tents, I figured they would be manning the camp or something.  I wonder which hotels they will be put up in this winter, I can't see them staying in tents.

CAF personnel will be managing and maintaining the Interim Lodging Site (ILS) infrastructure.  That's all.  There is a plan to move the asylum seekers to more permanent accommodations before winter, if required.

Haggis said:
The PMCs in the Armoury they are billeted in are none to happy about this, either.

The Combined Mess in the Nav Centre is none too happy either.

Eye In The Sky said:
Once they are in Canada, I doubt the US would take them back.

Don't get me wrong, I am not without compassion for those less fortunate than Canadians are.  BUT...we are a country with, like all countries, limited resources.  We simply can't allow everyone who wants to come here in.  Those that do come have to, or should IMO, have something to bring to the table;  a skill, a trade, something that will make them a benefit the way Canada will benefit them.  They have to have the ability to, at some point and for the long term, pay taxes and contribute to Canadian society in a real, tangible way.

Doesn't this fall in line with Trudeau's and Soro's vision of the world?  Bringing down our 'wealth' to raise that of the poorer?

George Wallace said:
Doesn't this fall in line with Trudeau's vision of the world?

I got rid of the conspiracy nonsense.  As to this part, no.  No Prime Minister of Canada has ever sought to bring down anyone in Canada.

jmt18325 said:
I got rid of the conspiracy nonsense.  As to this part, no.  No Prime Minister of Canada has ever sought to bring down anyone in Canada.

Yes, because "bringing down the rich" doesn't sound as nice as "tax the rich". You can doctor the semantics all you want, but when you raise the tax rates on the rich, you're bringing them down to redistribute the money to the masses.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2585026/trudeaus-tax-hike-on-high-earners-could-backfire-report/
http://business.financialpost.com/personal-finance/taxes/canada-set-to-propose-closing-tax-loophole-favored-by-doctors/wcm/b5e17b7c-f526-4fef-b702-f70f1f26425e
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/canada-budget-equlity-1.4036031

I'll also invite you to read the George Soros biographical synopsis here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Soros which states:

He is a well-known supporter of American progressive and American liberal political causes and dispenses his donations through his foundation, the Open Society Foundations.[17] Between 1979 and 2011, Soros donated more than $11 billion to various philanthropic causes;[18][19] by 2017, his donations "on civil initiatives to reduce poverty and increase transparency, and on scholarships and universities around the world" totaled $12 billion.[20]

George's statement is factually correct even though you choose to just willfully ignore it. Just because someone says George Soros doesn't automatically make it a conspiracy theory. When that individual throws around $12B USD to progressive and left leaning political causes, they get a little bit of say in the direction those causes takes.

jmt18325 said:

Really?  "He's just not ready."

Good2Golf said:
Really?  "He's just not ready."

I'll tell you what.  Canada has the best economy it has at any time in 17 years, and he's remained relatively popular.  He seems like he was ready after all.

jmt18325 said:
I'll tell you what.  Canada has the best economy it has at any time in 17 years, and he's remained relatively popular.  He seems like he was ready after all.

Hmmm?  Wonder why you only read Liberal Party propaganda.  I would not say that Ontario, more or less Canada's industrial base, is doing very well with many companies moving SOUTH of the border.  I would suggest that we are still riding the tail end of the wave of the previous Government and now headed into the down trough.  Time will tell.

New regulations and taxes being discussed on small business.  Ontario Hydro Rates.  Cancellation of proposed pipelines.  Illegal migrant issues.  Ridiculous points they want included at NAFTA negotiations.  People are starting to get very pissed at the Liberals and their nonsense.

George Wallace said:
Hmmm?  Wonder why you only read Liberal Party propaganda. 

I don't read anything put out by the Liberal party.  I do read information put out by economists:

http://www.bnn.ca/canadian-gdp-tops-estimates-in-may-1.816156

Canada has done better this year than under and year that Harper was in power.  Ontario's economy has mostly recovered from the gloom years.  Many companies continue to move north of the border due to far lower corporate taxes in Canada than in the US (both Liberals and Conservatives have been lowering them for 25 years).  There are no new taxes being discussed on small business - they're simply closing loopholes.  You'll now have to work for the small business to get paid by it, as it should be. Line 3 replacement and expansion, approved by the Liberals, is now being built.  Northern Gateway, cancelled by the Liberals, was never going to meet its 800 conditions anyway.  Illegal migration is generally the fault of the country that the migrants are fleeing, and not the receiving country.  Do you blame Turkey for Iraqi refugees? 

As for the NAFTA negotiations - chapters on gender, climate, and indigenous peoples are included in any modern trade treaty, from CETA to the now dead TPP.

[quote author=jmt18325] Illegal migration is generally the fault of the country that the migrants are fleeing, and not the receiving country.  Do you blame Turkey for Iraqi refugees? 
[/quote]

Turkey either supporting or turning a blind eye to ISIS probably doesn't exactly help Iraqi refugees. 

Jarnhamar said:
Turkey either supporting or turning a blind eye to ISIS probably doesn't exactly help Iraqi refugees.

Well, Canada already ended it's Haitian refugee program, so, in this case, we aren't supporting ISIS.

Except we're selling weapons and equipment to Saudi Arabia who is also secretly supporting ISIS (according to Hillary Clinton). So we kinda are. But that's off topic  :nod:

jmt18325 said:
That must be why everyone is peachy keen in the resource provinces and the Maritimes.  Cuz the economy is better now than it was before 2014 and before 2008.

:sarcasm:

jollyjacktar said:
That must be why everyone is peachy keen in the resource provinces and the Maritimes.  Cuz the economy is better now than it was before 2014 and before 2008.

:sarcasm:
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2017-07-28/alberta-tops-b-c-to-reclaim-lead-in-canadian-growth-survey

Alberta’s economy is more than just back on its feet, it’s about to run faster than any other region in Canada.

Gross domestic product in the western province will rise by 2.9 percent this year, according to a Bloomberg survey of economists, up from an April estimate of 2.5 percent. That matches forecasts for neighboring British Columbia, and in 2018 Alberta comes out on top with a 2.4 percent expansion that would be tops among Canada’s 10 provinces.

It’s a huge comeback from Alberta’s last place finish in each of the last two years when oil prices plummeted below $50 a barrel, triggering layoffs and an investment freeze that shrank GDP by about 4 percent. The rebound is another sign Canada may retain its top spot among Group of Seven nations as economic growth diversifies away from consumer spending.

https://www.google.ca/amp/nationalpost.com/news/canada/from-the-doghouse-to-a-powerhouse-quebecs-economy-has-rebounded/wcm/2309f155-c7d5-4617-b95a-d359f227bafe/amp

Last month, Standard & Poor’s announced that it was raising Quebec’s credit rating from A-plus, to AA-minus, the highest rating the province has enjoyed since 1993, and again, better than Ontario’s. 

The province’s economic growth exceeded projections in the first quarter of 2017, with gross domestic product increasing 1.1 per cent over the first three months, outpacing Canada as a whole. That growth meant higher tax-revenues for the provincial government, and last month Leitao announced that Quebec had ended the 2016-17 fiscal year with a $4.5 billion surplus — nearly twice what had been forecast in his March 28 budget.
Seems alright to me.

Back