• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Illegal Border Crossing into Canada - Asylum Seekers

There was footage that the rebel media had on YouTube where a woman was carrying her luggage and her baby across the Quebec crossing point, she tripped and fell which caused the husband hit her in the head for being clumsy right in front of the RCMP officer. Kind of cringe-worthy.

I don't know, but some of those Haitians look an awful lot like Somalians to me.

recceguy said:
I don't know, but some of those Haitians look an awful lot like Somalians to me.

There are also Spanish people calling themselves Syrian (weird they only speak Soanish though..) crossing as well.

One of the few visits from government we got in Port au Prince on OP HALO was from Montreal MP's that had a substantial number of ex-pat Haitian constituents in their ridings.  There are likely a fair number of "relatives" around the area that might be taking in "family".  As someone noted, there is a better than even chance that many could integrate easily due to large ex-pat communities.

RG - odd thing about Haiti is it was founded by ex-slaves, so many were from various parts of Africa - when you look at the people around closely, you see different ethnicity.  Some of the folks you were seeing may very well have had East African features and family lineage...of course, you may also be correct and some may have been infiltrating hoping nobody would notice.

MM 

Did Hell freeze over?  CBC reporting that half of asylum seekers crossing have criminal records.  (Old report from April)

http://www.cbc.ca/player/play/920868419922

George Wallace said:
Did Hell freeze over?  CBC reporting that half of asylum seekers crossing have criminal records.  (Old report from April)

http://www.cbc.ca/player/play/920868419922

Trudeau did say EVERYONE was welcome....a sound strategy for sure.

CBC.ca

Quebec is getting the help they requested. Asylum seekers have already started to be moved over to Cornwall Ontario and plans are developing for another tent camp next door, according to the news release.

New centre, more immigration officers

In order to accommodate the growing number of migrants crossing into Quebec, Federal Transport Minister Marc Garneau and Quebec Immigration Minister Kathleen Weil announced new measures for housing and security Thursday.

A new temporary intake centre will be set up in Cornwall, Ont., to ease the burden on Quebec, which has been housing claimants in centres across Montreal.

Garneau said the Cornwall centre has 300 rooms and that tents can be installed outside the building if necessary.

"This will remove some of the pressure on us," said Weil, referencing the provincial government. She has urged Ottawa to help with additional temporary housing for asylum seekers.

Did anyone ever think that there would be a camp of refugees fleeing the United States of America?

Haiti is now deemed safe to return to and SURPRISE! they don't want to go back.  Now, as the article notes, they are entering Canada illegally.  What do people expect when the PM says *everyone is welcome!!*. 

Eye In The Sky said:
Haiti is now deemed safe to return to and SURPRISE! they don't want to go back.  Now, as the article notes, they are entering Canada illegally.  What do people expect when the PM says *everyone is welcome!!*.

Everyone is welcome.  The legalities have been clarified many times.  This is an act of desperation, and nothing more.

jmt18325 said:
Everyone is welcome.  The legalities have been clarified many times.  This is an act of desperation, and nothing more.

From the CBC story:

RCMP says it has intercepted 3,800 asylum seekers crossing illegally into Quebec since Aug. 1

More than 3,800 asylum seekers crossed the border illegally in Quebec during the two weeks spanning Aug. 1 to Aug. 15, the RCMP said Thursday.

The figures were released after RCMP held a technical briefing with the Canada Border Services Agency and Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

According to the IRCC, the RCMP also intercepted 2,996 asylum seekers crossing illegally into Quebec in July.

Since June 1, the RCMP said that more than 7,000 people have illegally entered Canada.

Yup, the legalities are clear for sure.  If I need money, I can't just go to the bank and take it *in an act of desperation* and everything is cool...

Canada has some legislation in regards to breaking laws due to necessity (Ie: breaking into a domecile so you don't freeze to death) but I am unsure if that translates to refugees who aren't Canadian citizens. Especially ones who are fleeing the US and not Haiti..are they considered fleeing Haiti by proxy because the US would kick them out? WOULD the US kick them out? I don't know, I will admit I'm not a genius when it comes to this stuff.

EpicBeardedMan said:
Canada has some legislation in regards to breaking laws due to necessity (Ie: breaking into a domecile so you don't freeze to death) but I am unsure if that translates to refugees who aren't Canadian citizens. Especially ones who are fleeing the US and not Haiti..are they considered fleeing Haiti by proxy because the US would kick them out? WOULD the US kick them out? I don't know, I will admit I'm not a genius when it comes to this stuff.
these guys will be processed like any other illegal migrant and if the case of other haitians is any clue, more than half will be deported to Haiti.

Eye In The Sky said:
Yup, the legalities are clear for sure.  If I need money, I can't just go to the bank and take it *in an act of desperation* and everything is cool...

In this case (analogies are generally terrible arguments), with those found to have legitimate claims, everything will be cool.  For those found to not, things will not be cool.  They'll be rather warm, as they'll be returned to Haiti.

And for those seeking entrance to our Country through legal means, there will be further delays...

Meanwhile, https://www.spencerfernando.com/2017/08/17/poll-majority-canadians-say-trudeau-not-enough-protect-canadas-borders/

POLL: Majority Of Canadians Say Trudeau Not Doing Enough To Protect Canada’s Borders

A new poll by Ipsos/Global shows Canadians are turning against Justin Trudeau’s border policies.

Here are the key poll results:
62% say the Trudeau government doesn’t have a solid plan to respond to the increase in border crossers.
56% say the Trudeau government having to call in the military shows the border issue “is out of control.”
67% believe those crossing the border illegally are doing so in order to skip the legal process.
56% say the government isn’t doing enough to protect the border from “those who want to cause harm to Canada.”

Trudeau government clearly out of step with Canadians

This poll confirms what many of us already knew: Canadians believe our border and laws should be respected. We are a welcoming nation, but that welcome must be on our own terms. There are many people waiting in line and following the rules, and they are being delayed because of those crossing illegally. And as the poll shows, Canadians are concerned that people who may cause harm to the country are crossing the border, and the Trudeau government isn’t doing enough to stop them.

That’s why it’s time for the Trudeau government to stop playing to the international press, and start listening to the voices of Canadians. Our border must be secured, and illegal crossings must be stopped.

Spencer Fernando

Personally, I have a simple solution (which is probably why it wouldn't work in Canada  ;D).

Stop all immigration hearings already scheduled in Canada and bring the tribunal's judges to Montreal. There, hold immediate hearings (most of these "refugees" are Haitians who lived peacefully in the US under temporary visas for the last few years, so they should have all of their papers and proof in order and ready to go) for a few hundreds of them. When the large majority of them are found to NOT be refugees, deport them immediately - but since they are Haitians, deport them to Haiti - not the USA - and publicize that fact heavily in Canada and the US.

I bet you it would stem the flow almost completely, and that a lot of the ones already here would immediately voluntarily withdraw their application to enter Canada and chose to return to the US and take their chances with their current temporary visa holder's status.

That is a wildly optimistic hope for any form of speed and/or efficiency in a government endeavour.

And what if our Southern Cousins don't let them back in?

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Personally, I have a simple solution (which is probably why it wouldn't work in Canada  ;D).

Stop all immigration hearings already scheduled in Canada and bring the tribunal's judges to Montreal. There, hold immediate hearings (most of these "refugees" are Haitians who lived peacefully in the US under temporary visas for the last few years, so they should have all of their papers and proof in order and ready to go) for a few hundreds of them. When the large majority of them are found to NOT be refugees, deport them immediately - but since they are Haitians, deport them to Haiti - not the USA - and publicize that fact heavily in Canada and the US.

I bet you it would stem the flow almost completely, and that a lot of the ones already here would immediately voluntarily withdraw their application to enter Canada and chose to return to the US and take their chances with their current temporary visa holder's status.

The Canadian Government has already said they are returning them to Haiti. Apparently the US won't let them return/deports them.

jmt18325 said:
In this case (analogies are generally terrible arguments), with those found to have legitimate claims, everything will be cool.  For those found to not, things will not be cool.  They'll be rather warm, as they'll be returned to Haiti.

Analogies are, sometimes, comparisons that help emphasize a point. In this case, the point being people shouldn't just be able to break a law.  I am a Canadian citizen and serving military member, and when I come back home from serving Canada away I have to have a passport and go thru the process.  Why should people who are coming illegally be allowed to cross in the first place??

IMO they shouldn't, and the US is just smiling as they watch them do it because it is one less problem for them to worry about.

Eye In The Sky said:
Analogies are, sometimes, comparisons that help emphasize a point. In this case, the point being people shouldn't just be able to break a law.  I am a Canadian citizen and serving military member, and when I come back home from serving Canada away I have to have a passport and go thru the process.  Why should people who are coming illegally be allowed to cross in the first place??

IMO they shouldn't, and the US is just smiling as they watch them do it because it is one less problem for them to worry about.

Today, listening to Talk Radio on the matter of the numbers crossing illegally, and how they would have be turned back had they entered at an existing Border Crossing.  Then I wondered why we aren't just loading the illegals onto a bus, drive them to the Border Crossing Point, have CBSA go through the procedure of processing them and then TURN THEM BACK as if they had originally crossed there.  Saves the eleven, and counting, months that it will now take to process the expected 300,000 that will be clogging up the system for the next several years; not to mentions the billions being spent.

Back