• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ICE Tactical Modular Tac Vest vs ARPAT LBV (Pics)

AmmoTech90

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
I just thought that I would put up some pics of the vest that I got through ICE Tactical.  Overall impression of the manufacturing quality is that is very good,  solid stitching, on par with other well made kit I have seen.  What I ordered was the vest, hydroback, three triple mag pouches, med gp, 1L nalgene pouch, two smk pouches.  I received all that plus two frag pouches (thanks Derek).  The hyrdoback does come with padding, but it is easy to remove to reduce bulk for when you have CBA.
The clips and zips are all very robust, in fact the clips are quite stiff at first but I've either gotten used to them, or they've got a bit more flexible with use.  The only awkward part is the bottom central clip to close the vest, thats a pain to reach with CBA and full mag pouches.
I have worn it for a day of convoy drills, and a morning on the range.  You have to push a bit to put three mags in the pouches, but they come out easy and the second and third ones still feel secure if you don't close up the pouch right away, especially if you use the elastic band inside the mag pouch.

This pic shows the overall vest, the first aid pouch is one from CPGear, the rest is from ICE.
main.php

This pic shows the mag pouch with two mags in it.  There is a piece of bungee around the pouch, and an elastic strap inside to retain the mags
main.php

This pic is the same, but with three mags in
main.php

You can put the mags in sideways, or front to back.  Notice the velcro, there is a silencer strip.
main.php

Previously I have deployed with 82 pattern webbing, the LBV, and the Tacvest.  None of them are great, but realistically for my job they met the minimum requirement (sort of, not really).  The real reason why I need a custom vest like this is the magazines I will be carrying.  They are not standard CF mags, they are a bit bigger, and as these photos show, the kit that the CF issued me does not cut the mustard.  As well it doesn't carry enough mags.

Here is my beautiful, issue, ARPAT LBV that was kindly issued and will be staying at home.
main.php

Here it is with one mag in the appropriate place
main.php

And here it is with the mag pouch closed, would you trust a small strip of velcro?
main.php

Edit to fix pics not showing up

I as well am getting the Broken Link red X

Geez, fixed already, give a guy a break when making his first big multi-pic post...

Hit refresh...

AmmoTech90 said:
Geez, fixed already, give a guy a break when making his first big multi-pic post...

Hit refresh...

:) sorry, but yes it works now thanks for the fix

Althought I have no expeirince with Tac vests as of yet, It does look very nice, and looks like it will do a lot better job judging from the look of the standard issue LBV, the small strip of velco doesnt look to secure to me either :).

The issued Tac vest is garbage I'd rather go back to the old webbing at least its was modular.I'm on workup for Afghanistan right now i didn't like the Tac vest from when i got it first issued.Going through workup proved its in affective.I hope that LBV is not issue for over there cause i won't wear it looks worse than the CADPAT vest .I'm probably going to buy a high speed gear rig.

Even after that nice WITH pics you still wanna go with HSGI? Fine by me man. But why not be like AmmoTech and buy Canadian?!

AmmoTech90,

What's so unusual about your mags - and what is wrong witht he issued ones???  It's no longer on to make blanket statements that "the issued kit sucks" as we do have several pieces of very good kit (OK, maybe not world-class, but still pretty damn good)...

blake

Ammotech's being issued an SA80 when he's over there with our cousins from across the pond.the SA80 mag is longer then the issued C7Mag that's why he needed a non-issued rig.

What was the delivery time on that rig? Just asking because of ICE TACs new and improved facilities, and problems with others getting kit in a timely fashion. (not a jab or slur against ICE....... the sins of the past and all that)  I'm thinking of getting their Battle Belt and some other doodads, but am still waiting out on that to be sure I won't be waiting too long to get one.

Shoot me a PM on what you'd like MG, I'll tell you if we have it and how soon I can fire one out the door for you after payment.

Will do, the PM function isn't working on my system, I'll send one when I get home.

or give me a holler right now man 1-888-499-7760 I'm in the office and can answer your questions right now :)

Blake,

I thought I was careful not to slag off any of the issued kit, instead I provided good reasons why I cant use it.  As MedTech said, I'm carrying a SA80A2 over there and they come with H&K mags which are steel and a bit longer.  Apparently they are around the same size as one of our mags with a Magpul attached.  As well I've been issued more mags than the LBV or Tacvest will hold.

D

AmmoTech,

That's fair enough.  Glad you have lots of mags - sorry that 'you're saddled with the SA80 though - I had quite a bit of hands on with one in '95 and it left me cold. 

Very cool vest... :cheers:

blake

Blake,

The new SA80A2 is apparently a bang up job. Talked with a Brit Sgt here and he says he loved his better then the original SA80s. Do YOU want a cool rig like the one AmmoTech90's got ;) you know where to find me mate!

Cheers,

MT.

Well I haven't fired ball from the A1, just blank so I cant really compare.  I've mixed feelings about the A2.  The first time I fired it was on 30 yard range, around 20 rounds.  Had three stoppages that fixed by hitting the forward assist.  Didn't come back from that with a warm fuzzy.  Repeat again a couple of weeks later, this time I had trouble with test after assembly following cleaning, managed to get the weapon working.  Drew a different one, never issued before for deployment.  Have put around 500 rounds through it with narry a problem, so I'm happy with that.
Hopefully the first set of problems came down to the weapon itself, cross my fingers & carry lots of oil...

my fingers are crossed for you too mate. Need you to com back live and kicking to give reviews on kit ;) j/k. Not the alive and kicking part though.

MedTech said:
Blake,

The new SA80A2 is apparently a bang up job. Talked with a Brit Sgt here and he says he loved his better then the original SA80s. Do YOU want a cool rig like the one AmmoTech90's got ;) you know where to find me mate!

Cheers,

MT.

Actually I'm more of a chexst rig guy and I do know where to find you... :cheers:

blake

mudgunner49 said:
Actually I'm more of a chexst rig guy and I do know where to find you... :cheers:
blake

muahahaha! I am changing the minds of people, one open minded CO at a time!  ;D

Back