• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

I need help!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

teabag87

I haven't even applied yet and I am already stressing over my CFAT. Last year I didn't qualify for the Officer trades I wanted and this year I am going to try it again, but I am constantly on edge. This morning I woke up after having a dream about failing it for a SECOND TIME!!!! The moment I woke up I hauled (expletive) downstairs and started to study.

My question(s) is am I crazy and what do I do about my stress? Please don't tell me "Just quit man you are not up for it". I am mainly stressing because I only have one shot until the following year and I don't want that. My parents are on my butt constantly and it is (expletive) me off. I need ROTP to get the heck out (I also need it for financial reasons). I also don't want to hear "just join NCM". I was born to be a leader,I know I can do this (that may have been cliché), I will not stop until I become an Officer!

Are my stress levels normal?

Please help me fellow, future and current recruits

PS: This is not a rant

I need advice.
:panic: :chill: :chill:

This may be news to you, but you can be a leader as a NCM, you just have to earn your way to it.

I seriously hope your not pinning your dreams on ROTP for this year (ie; fall semester) because the 2013 program is now closed.  So the best you could do would be the fall of 2014 and that is only if you got accepted.

If you don't already have an undergrad degree of some sort, then DEO Officer is also out of the question.

If you are looking at pursing academics through the CF, then your only option at the present time may be NCM SEP, as there are still a few occupations with openings but time is against you in this case.

Not much else I can add at the present......and like has been mentioned above, being an Officer is not the be all to end all, there are other avenues and opportunities for leadership.

If you want to be an Officer and you are this FUBAR because of the CFAT....ummmmmmm....ok.

If you cannot handle this stress, wait until you experience real stress.

If you cannot handle this stress, maybe this line of work is not for you.

Your level of stress is not normal.

Maybe you are not, in fact, as "born to be a leader" as you think.

Nobody here can help you.

You need to learn to relax before you self-destruct.

Seriously.

Relax.

Do something incredibly boring for a few hours.

Avoid caffeine, too.

Eye In The Sky said:
If you want to be an Officer and you are this FUBAR because of the CFAT....ummmmmmm....ok.

That's the politest thing I was thinking...I know you don't want to hear it, but I'll say it..."why not go NCM?"  As pointed out, if you're a born leader, you'll do as well without the bars.  Also, if you're in such a hurry to get out of the house, with a job you want to do, what's the problem?  You think you're better than other folks?  If so, just walk on by...if you don't, join as an NCM and prove yourself, upgrade your academics and then apply for UTPNCM.  Then you'll have had the best of both worlds.

My  :2c:, take it or leave it.

MM

I am not going to quote any of you guys because I wanted to address what you all said as a whole. Before that I wanted to say sorry if I insulted anyone about wanting to be a leader as a Officer over NCM. I respect both components equally. And you're right about NCM being a leader. Both my parents are /were in the military, my Dad is currently on deployment; he is an Officer. My Dad loves being an Officer because people respect him and treat him well he says. My mum was an NCM. My mum said NCM life sucked for her and her friends. She claimed her superiors were not respectful towards them. I want to change this perspective that my mum has because I know there are some people in the military who feel the same way, this is my purpose to become an Officer. I have always dealt with stress well despite my recent comments, examples: writing several exams in high school, competing in competitive sports championships, and having jobs and responsibilities. This is not much, but it's all I can feed off of.

I am not pinning my dreams on ROTP this year (I already did). I am shooting for 2014. I know this is not the 'be all end all' of my life, I know getting ROTP is highly unlikely, but this is what I want right now. If you knew me as a person you'd think I am the most calm dude around because I rarely show negative emotion. I consider these steps I'm taking as a steep learning curve and as I'm typing I take into account the critical advice you gave me and it makes me want to do this more, but it also tells me that you're right and I should take it easy, so thank you for the advice.

What I would also appreciate is if you guys looked at the topic "How well have I done so far" on the ROTP, RMC forum.

I don't drink caffeine. It's nasty.

medicineman said:
.  Also, if you're in such a hurry to get out of the house, with a job you want to do, what's the problem?  You think you're better than other folks? 

MM

I do not think I am better than other people, heck if anything people are better than me. This is how I push myself to do good. Last year RMC would have looked at my application if I had more maths and sciences. I could only take Calculus and Physics, and the RC said that's enough to be eligible. And once I add all my extracurriculars the RC said I was a competitive applicant. In your eyes I hope I did not come off as arrogant and cocky.

teabag87 said:
Last year RMC would have looked at my application if I had more maths and sciences. I could only take Calculus and Physics, and the RC said that's enough to be eligible. And once I add all my extracurriculars the RC said I was a competitive applicant.

Okay, now you have me absolutely, totally confused???????  First off, RMC looks at EVERY initial ROTP application even before it goes to your CFRC and RMC completes an "Academic Assessment" on every ROTP applicant.

So I am "thinking" that you applied ROTP and either a) did not receive a favourable academic assessment or b) did receive a favourable assessment, were full processed by your CFRC but NOT offered an ROTP position for this coming fall.

Would either of these be a fairly reasonable assumption on my part?

DAA said:
Okay, now you have me absolutely, totally confused???????  First off, RMC looks at EVERY initial ROTP application even before it goes to your CFRC and RMC completes an "Academic Assessment" on every ROTP applicant.

So I am "thinking" that you applied ROTP and either a) did not receive a favourable academic assessment or b) did receive a favourable assessment, were full processed by your CFRC but NOT offered an ROTP position for this coming fall.

Would either of these be a fairly reasonable assumption on my part?

I had a feeling someone would ask this. I wanted to avoid longer posts. I'll explain.

The Recruiting Center called me in Nov 2012 and said I was ineligible to attend RMC in the Fall of 2013; but they said I could do ROTP at a civilian university but that's when I screwed up the CFAT. So option "a)" is correct.

I apologize for the confusion I should have elaborated.

My Dad loves being an Officer because people respect him and treat him well he says

You're commissioning scroll does not get you treated well or gain you respect.

If that's your (or your Dad's) reasoning for being an officer, you've already failed.

recceguy said:
You're commissioning scroll does not get you treated well or gain you respect.

If that's your (or your Dad's) reasoning for being an officer, you've already failed.

If you read what I posted you'd know that is not why I want to be an Officer. What I said about my Dad is his experience as an Officer.

To put it all into perspective, I have not failed nor will I.

I am going to hazard a guess that you are quite young - still in your teens? - and feel quite stuck.

I am going to say something you may not want to hear. You have time to get what you want. Actually, lots of time. And you have other options - think them through.

If you limit yourself to ROTP NOW!or nothing, you just might get nothing. Crap happens.

Look around for other options even if less desireable. Need to get out of the house and get on your own? Civvie work will get this underway. ROTP not happening? Perfectly fine to get a job, do an undergrad part time or full time, and go DEO later-bet your test scores improve with study and maturity, too. Join a reserve unit as an NCM in the meantime. This will only work in your favour should you later get a commission, you'll know what a good officer looks like from the NCM view.  Might even be able to get a commission in the reserves while going to school, then maybe transfer to the reg's if that's your thing.

You can think of other, more applicable options. Point is, do not put all eggs in one basket. You'll just keep stressing yourself out. The fact that you HAVE options might help you relax and pass the darn CFAT.

All you can do at this point in time is wait and write the CFAT. If you pass, that's great. If not, head out West and work in the oil sands. ;D That'll get you out of the house and the pay isn't too bad either.

x-grunt said:
I am going to hazard a guess that you are quite young - still in your teens? - and feel quite stuck.

I am going to say something you may not want to hear. You have time to get what you want. Actually, lots of time. And you have other options - think them through.

If you limit yourself to ROTP NOW!or nothing, you just might get nothing. Crap happens.

Look around for other options even if less desireable. Need to get out of the house and get on your own? Civvie work will get this underway. ROTP not happening? Perfectly fine to get a job, do an undergrad part time or full time, and go DEO later-bet your test scores improve with study and maturity, too. Join a reserve unit as an NCM in the meantime. This will only work in your favour should you later get a commission, you'll know what a good officer looks like from the NCM view.  Might even be able to get a commission in the reserves while going to school, then maybe transfer to the reg's if that's your thing.

SeR said:
All you can do at this point in time is wait and write the CFAT. If you pass, that's great. If not, head out West and work in the oil sands. ;D That'll get you out of the house and the pay isn't too bad either.

I have already lived out West before and I'm not looking forward to doing it again. Not interested in oil anyway.

Someone who finally understands!!!!!

Dude you are spot on about everything! You gave me what I needed to hear.

What I may point out is I need to get a part/full time job before I would join the reserves. I need more life skills and I think I can find that in the Civi workforce. I have no intention of joining the reserves any time soon. I may have overreacted about the 'moving out' of my house aspect so disregard my comments about that. I feel pressured to make a decision and I don't want to come off as a bum towards my family.

Do you understand where I'm coming from?

Just as an aside, and for your info, you do realize that NCOs (Jr and Snr) and WOs (WO, MWO and CWOs) are quite heavily involved in the trg of new Officers both at the initial stages (BMOQ) as well as their trade/classification trg AND during their first posting/Regimental tour/etc?

Respect is always earned.  I think some folks get 'authority by virture of rank' mixed up with respect. 

Just a point to reinforce the "NCMs are leaders, too".    ;)

If your stressing this much over the CFAT how are you going to be able to handle being an officer in the field? I've never been an officer in the field nor in combat but I would assume stress from the CFAT is nothing compared to it..

teabag87 said:
:pullhair:

man this is frustrating.

As is 27 posts (and 4 topics) in 5 hours and 57 minutes of online time.

You need to start reading more and posting less.  Almost every one of your questions and worries has been posted here before.

Also, you need to post more clearly.  Or not....maybe we just don't "get" you...  :dunno:

Funny how OP thinks caffeine is "nasty" when he chose tea bag as his forum name...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back