• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

I hate term-papers!

BDG.CalgHighrs

Inactive
Reaction score
Damn things...They're fun to research but then whenyou have to write all that shit it sucks.  This one's on the Falklands, It's due tommorow 1200 and I don't care at this point.

You should have started earlier. I know they suck but the hardest part is to start working on it.

I have a ten pg paper on human rights due in about 10 and half hour. Go procrastination!

Wow.  I could not agree with this subject title more.  I've always been of the mind that there is absolutely no reason why a paper could not be finished the night before, (I'm all about the stress), however, after my latest term and its multiple consecutive all-nighters I'm starting to re-think the strategy for the sake of sanity.  Let's be serious though, the urge to procrastinate is incessant. 
Good luck to all my brothers and sisters out there slaving at the keyboard! 

Oh!  And for when that 'perfect' word is stuck on the tip of your tongue, I recommend Thesaurus.com.  Excellent for quick lookups. 

DJ

ramy said:
You should have started earlier. I know they suck but the hardest part is to start working on it.

I don't find that at all. I am all gung-ho to get the reasearch done. Then I put off writing the thing for a while. Then I usualy write an introduction and it sits like that until the night before it is due.

Amyhow it's done now and it weighed in at 21 pages.

I have to agree with DJ, I also need to re-evaluate my habit of last minute paper writing. You would think that after four years of university, I would have already learned that lesson! Oh well, only a few days left to go! Good luck on exams everyone!

MY LAST TERM... of a THREE year masters....

two papers down..  three to go... (by thursday .. of course)

Glad to see i'm not the only person procrastinating on Army.ca

If you need to procrastinate more.. click on the link in my Sig....  ;D

I live on this website when i'm writing papers.  Like right now, I've got a paleodemography project due this afternoon at around 1700, its worth 40% of my final and I have about 2 pages written. 

Yeah, i'm going to email him around 1500 and say "hey, James, I hate to say this but....."  and see if he can give me an extension.  Ohh, my coffee is ready.

edit: I just emailed him now... god, i feel like a douche.

Yeah i procrastinated all weekend and at 10pm last night after lots of drinking and a BBq i finished my grammar project. I went over it this morning and I think i make more sense when I am a little tipsy haha >:D

Sheerin said:
god, i feel like a douche.

Sorry.. I'm not taking confession at the moment  ;D

But once I finish this essay, I'll find out if god agrees with you.

Padre

Last term paper I wrote was 35 pages long and was on the entire history of the Muslim world.
Started writing it 3 days before, got 2 hours of sleep total, got an A on it.

Every paper I wrote in university up to that point, regardless of length, was started the night before and the highest I ever got was a B.
Procrastination and missing classes are the two worst things anyone can do at school.

And that was classic padre, claaassic.

I'm now up to 4 pages on this demography project.

You know whats retarded?  The assumptions archaeologists use to determine past population strength, and whats even worse is that VERY few them acknowledge the fact that these assumptions are just that assumptions!  I'm looking this one site in central Ontario that was estimated to have between 1300 and 2500 individuals, this was based on excavations of approximately 9% of the total site which revealed 5 longhouses that had an average area of 182 square metres.  They then assumed that the average person needs a minimum of 4.2 square metres of living space and as such they calculated the population of the site.  I have to give these guys credit (johnston and jackson) since they acknowledge that these are just assumptions and are likely wrong.  But yeah.  You gotta love anthropology! 

Oh and be sure to tell me if the almighty agrees with my position :p

Hey Padre, am I right in assuming you're not doing a thesis for your masters? 

Sheerin said:
Hey Padre, am I right in assuming you're not doing a thesis for your masters? 

With three days to hand in all assignments.. Thast a very safe and CORRECT guess.

No thesis need for a M.Div... I don't know why. You can do one, but... why?
I'm all for learning but not exactly a glutton for punishment. Which makes me wonder
why I frequent chat boards which will drive me crazy at least once a week.

So NO thesis for me.  I'm actually amazed that I survived 3 years at a Masters level to begin with.
Someone asked if i wanted to do a Ph'd.  I think for everyone's sake... its safer to keep me away
from any more education.  I don't want the brain to overload any more than it already is.

what, don't you enjoy writing 120 - 150 page essays and then defending them in front of 3 PhDs?  How can anyone *NOT* like that!? :)
  of course it does vary from school to school... I'm currently looking into MA programmes in anthropology and archaeology and some schools (like Trent, where I'm an undergrad) thesises to be around 150 pages, and then there are schools like UBC (if I remember correctly) who want them to be a maximum of 40 or so pages... so its quite varied.

I take it you'll need to write a thesis in order to go onto a PhD (thats how it is for us pagans  :-*) 

yeah.. thats why PHd's are bad... long thesis

it means i'd actually have to research and learn something.    ;)

Must...eat....more...chocoalte covered cofee beans.

Dear Lord, the gods have been good to me. As an offering, I present these milk and cookies. If you wish me to eat them instead, please give me no sign whatsoever ... thy will be done. (munch munch munch) Homer Simpson

I'm not alone! 15-20 page paper on the light machine guns of Germany, the United States, and Britain and their compatibility with their respective military doctrines due tomorrow and another 15-20 pager on the effectiveness of nuclear decapitation against the United States due the day after. I think that in the last 3 years of university, I've written maybe ONE paper NOT on the night before, and that was because the professor moved back the due date without my knowing. The longest I've written in one night was a 30 pager on gender symmetry in heterosexual intimate violence which, thank god, got an A. Research I hate, writing I have no problem with. That being said, I hate papers. I get some strange enjoyment from writing about esoteric crap in the most convoluted way possible (sounds smarter that way!) but the effort it requires often outweighs the enjoyment.

Professors always say "I can tell when a paper's written the night before - they're always sub-par". I've found that to be consistently UNTRUE... Long live procrastination. View it as practice at performing under pressure. :D

i've never done a paper early

in my 10 year university career

Everything was last minute or late

I am NOT a role model.. don't ask me how i survived....

(except by the grace of God)

on that note.. i've never finished a sermon before 1 am Sunday morning either!  :D

So how many of you drop the Army Card for term-papers.

"I'd love to get it in on time... BUT..... I'm a full time student work a 20 hour a week part time Job and I'm on a military Ex. the week before it's due, how about a month?"  ;D

Or am I the only wanker that does that?

Back