• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

I forgot the Artillery names

C

Cadet810

I forgot the Artillery names of sections
troops , squadron and ect. Can some one enlighten my knowledge. If you understand what I mean. ;)

What are the names going up to Battery.

Battery is like a Regiment?

Well, there‘s Double A, Triple A, C-Cell, D-Cell and 9 Volt.

Cadet 810,

The artillery is not easily broken down into small units, like the infantry and armour, as our organization is alot different. In general the smallest unit is a single gun and they are grouped together to form larger units. For example:

Gun - Gun Detachment consisting of 7 gunners, led by a Sargeant.

Troop - 3 Gun Detachments consisting of 21 gunners and it is lead by a Troop Commander (Rank Lieutenant or Captain).

Battery - 6 Gun Detachments consisting of over 120 (+) gunners and includes Forward Observation parties, Command Post, Reconnaisance, Line vehicles, Kitchen trailor, Ammunition Vehicles, Stores, etc, etc. Commanded by a Battery Commander (rank Major)

Regiment - 3 Gun Batteries, plus a Headquarters and Services Battery (HQ & Svcs Bty) and is commanded by a Lieutenant-Colonel. The HQ & Svcs Bty is commanded by a Major and consists of a wide array of personnel and equipment required for the Regiment to operate effectively. This includes a Regimental Command Post, Ammunition, Operations section, Survey, Meteorological section, etc.

I think the peace time strength of our Artillery Regiments are around 350-400 gunners.

Hope this helps.

The response from Gunner is correct in the picture perfect world, but in the Artillery today the Regiment size is smaller and the ranks of persons in charge of a gun detachment can vary from Bombardier to Sgt.

Originally posted by SVS:
[qb] The response from Gunner is correct in the picture perfect world, but in the Artillery today the Regiment size is smaller and the ranks of persons in charge of a gun detachment can vary from Bombardier to Sgt. [/qb]
Does that got for Regular Force as well or just reserve formations?

Wow I am not saying it does not happen but for a Cpl/Bdr to lead a detachment thats bad.

Wow - SVS - Arty experience in addition to all the other cool stuff you‘ve done.

Dragoon - usually not as permanent fixtures, but they were doing it in the Regs and Reserves when I joined in 83. It wasn‘t unusual at all for a Bdr to be 2 I/C of a detachment. Part of that duty is to fill in for the Number One, when required...

Thats cool muskrat I wasn‘t sure about this especially after what else this guy has put.

Muskrat, I did‘nt get the dig when I first read it but I just came back from the"other thread". You must take a bow for that one-liner. And to think we wasted our time taking artillery courses! CHEERS

Don‘t forget the airdefence!! I am in a REGIMENT that has 100 pers all ranks, trades, reg and reserve! Just got posted from a BATTERY that had 40 all ranks! Just some useless FYI!!!

My 2IC in the reserves was a bomber, but had been one for 13 years (he was a supervisor at his other work and could not get time for courses) He was very competent. Sometimes rank is a poor indicator of ability.

Back