• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

I am vexed

Lil_T

Inactive
Reaction score
Not quite sure what to do.  Have my interview and medical on Wednesday.  Weather network says about 15 cm+/-.  OC Transpo strike is still raging on and even if they went back it could be a month before everything is back to normal.  So traffic and parking is a major pain in the arse.  Wondering if I should reshedule or leave even earlier to muddle through the crappy weather and hope for a parking spot I won't have to get a cab from.  Urgh.   This wouldn't even be an issue if the little man was in daycare but no spot just yet - have to call tomorrow and find out when/if a spot will be opening up.  As it is, a friend of mine is sitting for me, but I don't want to be a burden and have her watch him longer than we already agreed. 

How far away is the CFRC you were going to?

CFRC is about 40 minutes from my place.  Cab might be feasible, but with the strike, I don't know how easy it is to even get a cab anymore.

If this is the CFRC at 66 Slater, and I recall correctly, they offer validated parking at the mall that's up a block on Albert. Call them to confirm

Take a cab just leave extra early.

Talk to the person watching your kid, i'm sure he/she will understand.

What would you rather be : a burden for a bit on one occasion or a civilian for the foreseable future ?

Your pick.

Your problem is not that insurmountable and certainly not rocket science.

Good luck with you interview.

Beadwindow 7 said:
If this is the CFRC at 66 Slater, and I recall correctly, they offer validated parking at the mall that's up a block on Albert. Call them to confirm
If you arrive after about 0730, there is zero parking available for the CFRC to validate.

I was just in the Albert and Bank area for a meeting and my coworker insisted we drive, cause he "thought" finding a taxi would be too hard.  Took him ~1 hr to find a parking spot.  We should have taken a taxi.

The no stopping zones are extended to 1000, and after that there is meter parking on the streets but most meters are only an hour, some are two.  If you arrive downtown at 0955, you can probably find a meter spot, as long as you can plug it often enough to avoid a ticket.

I would second the taxi thing - I had to take a taxi to the airport before Christmas and was told that if you call 2 hrs before you need it, they can have it there.

But you are right, transportation in this city is insane right now.  Good luck!

The wait for a Taxi in Ottawa now, due to the bus strike, can be anywhere from 10 minutes to two hours (as the Dispatcher may tell you when you call).  We had a Platoon WO wait two hours for a cab, while I lucked out and had one in less than five minutes.  It is the luck of the draw getting a cab, as well as where you may live.  If you are in an area where there is a cab that is not in use, you may be lucky.

To add:  There is parking available at the Rideau Centre - paid, of course, and there are several other lots around the downtown core.  There's also one on the edge of the Lebreton Flats that seems to have space available ($10/day) - but it will be a 20-30 minute walk to the CFRC from there.

I don't know how widespread this practice is, but in my area any taxi company will arrange to have a taxi at your door any time you want it if you call them the day before.

Ottawa Taxis have abandonned that practice since the transit strike began.  Huge demand coupled with heavy traffic make those arrangements all but impossible.

I miss Singapore - where you'd be told to the minute when the cab would be there, along with the taxi number - and based on the number you called from, they'd confirm the address on file.  GPS locators in the cabs - a very smooth system.

Beadwindow 7 said:

Is that the World Exchange Plaza?  That's on my list of possible parking spots.

This whole thing sucks.  I might (big might) park at St Laurent Centre and take a cab from there (if I can find one). A cab from Rockland all the way downtown would cost a small fortune. Rideau Centre parking is closed except to monthly pass holders.  A friend of mine was trying to get me her coworkers monthly pass for the day tomorrow so I could park but to no avail.

Talked to my friend who's watching the little dude and I'm dropping him off extra early (she said anytime after 0530 ;D) so at least that will give me some time to find a space.  I am very lucky to have friends in the area watching out for me. 

Pray for me.  Going to be a LONG day tomorrow.

When did the Rideau Center close its parking to non-pass holders?  I parked in the rebuilt parkade there just a few weeks ago.

Tried parking there last week to no avail.  It was at least 12 Dec that parking was restricted.  After 1500 it opens back up though.  Does me no good since my appointment is at 1230.

Lil_T said:
Tried parking there last week to no avail.  It was at least 12 Dec that parking was restricted.  After 1500 it opens back up though.  Does me no good since my appointment is at 1230.

So park farther away and walk ......i still dont understand what the problem is.

Lil_T said:
This whole thing sucks.  I might (big might) park at St Laurent Centre and take a cab from there (if I can find one). A cab from Rockland all the way downtown would cost a small fortune. Rideau Centre parking is closed except to monthly pass holders.  A friend of mine was trying to get me her coworkers monthly pass for the day tomorrow so I could park but to no avail.

Talked to my friend who's watching the little dude and I'm dropping him off extra early (she said anytime after 0530 ;D) so at least that will give me some time to find a space.  I am very lucky to have friends in the area watching out for me. 

Pray for me.  Going to be a LONG day tomorrow.

Try the underground public parking garage under city hall, entrance is off Laurier between city hall and the courthouse.  When I've had to drive in, there has always been lots of parking available, and it's $15/day.

The only wrinkle you'll be facing is that the forecast is worse than it started out - the commute in shouldn't be too bad with only 4 cm on the ground by then, but the 15-25 cm that's coming during the day will make the trip home simply joyous.

My problem, is I don't know downtown all that well (and therefore have no idea where there would be parking available, though I am mapquesting all the suggestions I've been given so far), since I rarely go there.  So I try to stay close to places I know.  Should have clarified as I don't want it to seem like I'm whining about this.  I don't mind walking at all, I will just wear my snow boots til I get there and change shoes. 

15-25cm???  Oh good lord.  Well, I'm glad I'm leaving early. 

And thanks for the suggestions everyone - I really appreciate it.  I feel like a big tool, not knowing my way around downtown as much as I probably should after living here for over a year.

Lil_T said:
My problem, is I don't know downtown all that well (and therefore have no idea where there would be parking available, though I am mapquesting all the suggestions I've been given so far), since I rarely go there. 

Try this link:  City Hall Parking

The point of the marker is aimed right at the entrance to the underground parking. 

Hey thanks!  A friend of mine also gave me a heads up that I could park over at OttawaU (she works there). So I'll add that to my list of possibilities.

Back