• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

I am vexed

George Wallace said:
I see someone else just go their Tax Forms in the mail.....  ;D

got mine and I have been a supporter of flat tax rate for over 20 years.  I agree it will never happen as too much government would end up unemployed plus most people I have talked to think it would just be a way for the Government to screw them out of more money.

I agree with the "Flat Tax" as if you really look at it, we are almost at that stage anyway.  Get rid of "Yearly Filing" and the jumble of different formula's as to how much one owes the Government, or how much they have overpaid.  It is really a pain in the _______ to over burden, not only the Tax Payer, but the government bureaucracy.  As for putting Government workers out of work, that is a moot point as they would be transferred easily into other Depts and take some of the overworked Civil Servants in them.  Perhaps we could put some to work on our Security Clearances.    >:D

George Wallace said:
  Perhaps we could put some to work on our Security Clearances.    >:D

Great idea!!

Wait - add pensions to that!!

Wait again - send 2 here so I can my staff back up to full strength

You raise some very good points George RE: unions.  Is there not already a labour relations board?  I'm not all that clear on what their scope of responsibility is, however, I'm sure that policies can be changed to expand on that.  To a point where, provincially speaking, workers would be represented by an unbiased (hopefully) agency who would be able to act on their behalf (and with a bit of common sense).

soemone explain to me this "flat tax" concept....

Lil_T said:
soemone explain to me this "flat tax" concept....

basics is that there will be one tax rate that everyone pays regardless of income level.

20% everyone pays  rather you make 20 grand or a million

CountDC said:
basics is that there will be one tax rate that everyone pays regardless of income level.

20% everyone pays rather whether you make 20 grand or a million

No deductions, no rebates.

hmm interesting concept.  One I would not be opposed to.

I don't know how this went from getting to an appointment to flat tax but an interesting point was made on A channel this morning in regards to the strike.  In Dec the Union proposed negotiating everything but scheduling and bring somebody in to study that, Kent Kirkpatrick and council rejected that idea and now they took the signing bonus away and want to relook at negotiating the scheduling separaetely, seems to me this is what was proposed in Dec.

Personally I don't agree with the strike but I think city council is out to lunch and Kirkpatrick as city manager should be out of a job

yeah - this thread went way way off topic - not that it matters.  Personally, I'm so sick to death of this strike and all the BS politics behind it.  I think it's stupid of the city to be backing down to the union now.  -personal opinion-  Of course, I also think that the entire upper echelon of the union should be purged like so much rubbish.

On the topic of the OC Transpo Strike it appears that there is some news, but nothing really positive, as the Union will no doubt turn its back on whatever the City or Feds come up with in the end.

This reminds me of the Aliant strike back in '04.  The union then didn't want to give any concessions - just like the ATU is doing now.  Then, Aliant just basically waited them out.  Mind you it took 9 months to wear them down.  But I can see that as the direction the City is taking on this.  It's been 5-6 weeks now since the strike and I would imagine that the people have adapted to having no transit (given no other option).  I'm sure it is extremely difficult for them not being able to get around.  People have lost their jobs, in the process of losing their homes, it's ridiculous.  What I'm trying to get at is the damage is done now.  Soon, it will be the union members who are suffering the most and then they will be crying to go back to work.   

That's not to say I think or am hoping this strike will last 9 months.  Quite the contrary.  I'm hoping it's over soon, but I think both sides are so dug in on the scheduling issue, it could last for quite a while.

Heard this morning that the union proposed binding arbitration but when the City said OK with the stipulation that they stick to the City budget amount the union pulled out.  Hmmm - I thought it wasn't about money  ???  Guess I will put that one right up there with the military getting a 10% pay increase.

I hope the city sticks to their guns on this one.  They have already stated it could take 10 weeks before they are back to full function.  By that time the weather will be warm anyways so it won't be so hard on people to get around and we will all be used to it.

I think we've all pretty much gotten used to it by now, we're at what day 41 now?  I had to laugh at that as well (RE: sticking to the budget). 

On the plus side of this strike, it's freed up a lot of money for the city to divert elsewhere.

Lil_T said:
On the plus side of this strike, it's freed up a lot of money for the city to divert elsewhere.

like plowing the streets??? hmmm no change there (maybe even worse).  Must be going for better coffee at city hall meetings.  ;D

Sorry - couldn't resist.

sigh - 50 lashes with a wet noodle

LOL.... No.  It's going into the pot of money for infrastructure/ road repair, and apparently social housing that is in disrepair.

On a comical note - did you see the T-shirts at the kiosk at St Laurent Centre?   There's one that has the OCTranspo logo but says

"NOCTranspo"
NOT serving the community since December 10, 2008

CountDC said:
like plowing the streets??? hmmm no change there (maybe even worse).  Must be going for better coffee at city hall meetings.  ;D

Sorry - couldn't resist

All depends on what part of the city you look at. I know that the city contracts out some portions. I know someone that operates grader doing snow removal, and is out as soon as the snow hits a certain height (as set out in the contract). Consider yourself lucky that Ottawa plows, because they sure don't do it here in Edmonton. As for the OCTranspo bit, the union should realize that the world doesn't revolve around them (you'd think it was the TTC after all) and that maybe, just maybe, it wouldn't be the end of the world if they had to work the odd weekend.

They don't plow the streets in Edmonton?  Does everyone get around on ski doos and dog sleds?  I live out in Rockland, the plow goes by my place (on a back street) 2,3,4 times during a storm.

The reason they don't plow very often in Edmonton is because City Council never sets enough money aside for snow removal. By the time winter is over in Edmonton, (might be a long time yet) in April-ish, there won't be any money left for any large snow falls when winter returns in November.

Back