• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Hydration: Split from the Ex Vigilant Guardian Thread

Thompson_JM

Inactive
Reaction score
R031 Pte Joe said:
Just came back from "Maple Storm", 31 Brigade year end ex.

It was suppose to sort of be a "runner-up" to VG06 and give us a good idea what it would be like/some of the ops this summer... Was a very good ex but no sleep, very busy rotating through VCP's, Vital Points and Presence patrols etc...

One thing I liked is more realism from our enemy force guys this time around, it wasn't just them breaking into sudden section attacks from nowhere when they're suppose to be "half-assed militia from a failed state...". I was even able to practice some emergency first-aid which we hardly EVER IF EVER get to do as a soldier. Good stuff, good all round ex. Much better than some of the weekend ex's I've been on so far.

If it's any indication of what VG06 will be like I hope I do get my time off approved from work!!!

PS> To the planners, please make sure we get WATER, last time we had to ration water like crazy and that was one *****-*** hot summer!!! All I ask for is water, forget the rations even, just bring lots of water!!!

Sad as it is to say, I think from a CSS Tn Point of veiw Maple Storm was probabbly one of the best Ex's ive been on Brigade wise.

I was attached to A Coy with the rest of 23 Svc Bn, while 21, and 22 were attached to the other two FOB's.... some of our guys had a pretty decent go of things, with decent rack time, and all the creature comforts....

I played infanteer for the better part of the ex.
Troop lifted 2 Section A Coy out to do about a million VCP's but while there, I would more or less try and get in some trg with them as well... a couple of really good scenarios right near the end of the day training.

My weekend was a total Bag Drive, but hot damn if it wasnt a good ex... I got to do my job, and more... and at the end of the day, what more can a part time soldier ask for but the chance to do what he is trained to do....

Cheers out to 2 Sec, A Coy, and the guys in it, from The RHF of C and The RHLI.... I'd by happy to have you guys riding with us any day of the week.

Peace.

PS> To the planners, please make sure we get WATER, last time we had to ration water like crazy and that was one *****-*** hot summer!!! All I ask for is water, forget the rations even, just bring lots of water!!!

Actually, I think it would be a good idea to make the troops have to ration their water. I remember once on BIQ when preparing to head out on a raid... I had about 3/4 of a canteen before hand, and figured I'd be able to refill when needed. About 1 hour into the ruck march, my canteen was empty... the next, oh about 9 hours of ruck marching, and then a raid, I had no water. The Pl WO very clearly pointed out, during breakfast that we, as infanteers, need to be able to support ourselves for 24h with as little as 1 canteen of water. I learnt my lesson, and I think its a good thing for other troops to learn aswell.

Forgotten_Hero said:
Actually, I think it would be a good idea to make the troops have to ration their water. I remember once on BIQ when preparing to head out on a raid... I had about 3/4 of a canteen before hand, and figured I'd be able to refill when needed. About 1 hour into the ruck march, my canteen was empty... the next, oh about 9 hours of ruck marching, and then a raid, I had no water. The Pl WO very clearly pointed out, during breakfast that we, as infanteers, need to be able to support ourselves for 24h with as little as 1 canteen of water. I learnt my lesson, and I think its a good thing for other troops to learn aswell.

Yeah that's all fine and dandy too, I already learned that same similar lesson as I'm sure many of us Infanteers have. But last year on SG05 there was a guy that actually dropped almost dead with head-stroke. He was loosing control of his bodily functions, couldn't breath properly, was puking and all that good stuff... He was in very serious condition and he had to be medevac'd.

There is a point to training as we fight, but it's training... No need to cause' troops any actual danger other then what's already inherently dangerous about military training.

Never before in my life had I the pleasure of experiencing "salt stains" from sweat on your clothing. I sure learned about that real quick too, and that is why they were making us drink that wonderful potion of salt/sugar with every canteen of water during the summer in Meaford this past year. It was so damn hot we were sweating all our salt out and basically weren't retaining proper levels of bodily fluid.

It's suppose to be another nasty summer boys! Get ready for forced hydration...

Forgotten_Hero said:

Actually, not only is that stupid, but dangerous.......Your body, while doing strenuous activity, requires up to 1L of water an hour. I know that that is alot to expect from CSS to be able to provide, but doing a 10hr ruck march, then a raid. With out hydrating properly, you will literaly cook your muscles. They become so dehydrated, that they can not cool down, and this will effectivley ruin your life.........I know that it is extreme, but it can happen. If that doesnt, then severe dehydration problems will.

-Sodium Electolyte Deficiancy, can cause you to pass out with out any warning at all.
-Remember, your internal organs are muscles...see above for problems with that..

So to sum up, training to do this, is like saying lets go a week with out food, because that might happen if we go to war. All the problems listed above, is only the medical problems. There is still the problem that under dehydration, you will be VERY hard pressed to do anything.

There is a point to training as we fight, but it's training... No need to cause' troops any actual danger other then what's already inherently dangerous about military training.

Indeed, and water should be available to prevent that heat-stroke, but there should be reason to ration it aswell.

I sure learned about that real quick too, and that is why they were making us drink that wonderful potion of salt/sugar with every canteen of water during the summer in Meaford this past year.

Sugar? I was under the impression that sugar DEhydrates you...

Actually, not only is that stupid, but dangerous.......Your body, while doing strenuous activity, requires up to 1L of water an hour. I know that that is alot to expect from CSS to be able to provide, but doing a 10hr ruck march, then a raid. With out hydrating properly, you will literaly cook your muscles. They become so dehydrated, that they can not cool down, and this will effectivley ruin your life.........I know that it is extreme, but it can happen. If that doesnt, then severe dehydration problems will.

-Sodium Electolyte Deficiancy, can cause you to pass out with out any warning at all.
-Remember, your internal organs are muscles...see above for problems with that..

So to sum up, training to do this, is like saying lets go a week with out food, because that might happen if we go to war. All the problems listed above, is only the medical problems. There is still the problem that under dehydration, you will be VERY hard pressed to do anything.

Didnt happen, and I wouldnt blame anyone if it did. It is extremely important to learn to ration your water, and I did consider that a good way of learning... Im sure if I were to pass out at any point, I'd have whatever was needed to rehydrate me and so on.

Forgotten_Hero said:
Indeed, and water should be available to prevent that heat-stroke, but there should be reason to ration it aswell.

Sugar? I was under the impression that sugar DEhydrates you...

Didnt happen, and I wouldnt blame anyone if it did. It is extremely important to learn to ration your water, and I did consider that a good way of learning... Im sure if I were to pass out at any point, I'd have whatever was needed to rehydrate me and so on.

Yeah it was some concoction of 1 part sugar to 3 parts salt or something like that, basically when you mix it with water it ends up being the same kind of stuff you get out of an IV from the hospital etc... Just to replace electrolytes and body fluid etc.... Apparently does the same thing gatorade does for you, since they switched to that shortly after because the stuff they gave us tasted HORRIBLE - but it did work.

Whenever I felt a head-ache comming on or weakness, I'd down one of those packets and drink at least 1/2 canteen and about 5-10 mins later I'd feel fine again, take a short rest etc... It was the heat and dehydration getting to me so that REALLY helped.

Lesson I learned there was something my section commander said, "If you're already thirsty it's too late! Don't let yourself get to that point!".... He was right.

To go back to the thread, these little things and soldier experiences are some of the minor things we glean from excercises like this and summer-training. It is very valuable training and it also gives us a good idea what we'd operate like for real - since that's exactly how we're training. I hope to go on these ex's every year!

Whenever I felt a head-ache comming on or weakness, I'd down one of those packets and drink at least 1/2 canteen and about 5-10 mins later I'd feel fine again, take a short rest etc... It was the heat and dehydration getting to me so that REALLY helped.

Indeed. What I learnt to do, on the other hand, was to simply bring a spare gatorade bottle and that powdered gatorade... thats always good...

It doesn't take much dehydration to start damaging muscles. That directly reduces your performance until they heal and also requires a lot of calories, protein, nutrients and water to promote that healing. It's one reason why we tend to overhydrate rather than underhydrate. It's very expensive in terms of resources and reduced performance to have dehydrated troops.

This might sound like a dumb question but here it goes anyway  ;D

I am going on CAP this summer.  In anticipation of the variety of Gagetown weather, I have purchased a Camelbak 3L Thermobak Hydration system.  Unfortunately, I was only able to get one in olive drab and not cad pat.  Will I be able to use this piece of kit notwithstanding it is not cadpat?

Thanks.

Well, once again, it always depends on your course staff. Off course, you definitly will be allowed to use it, but on course some instructors have a problem with any nonissued kit. I dont see them having a problem with a camel back though, so you'll most likely (beyond a reasonable doubt) be fine with wearing it. As long as its not some bright red pack with a bullseye on it.

hydration is very important, but it has become something of a cult, lately. We don't NEED to drink as much water as many troops do.
In Afghanistan, I'd drink about 3 litres a day. After acclimatization.
The same amount I drink here. You can function very well for 24 hours on a water bottle in the field. I've done it. And I dip heavily.

I don't reccommend it. But it can be done. It sucks, but it can be done.

(Just putting a little perspective in there, troops. Carry on as if you were normal.)

Finchy,
you can always wear it under your shirt, if it presents a tactical problem (either because of the colour, or the Staff.) That being said, many of the Instructors are going to be from 3VP, and I doubt that they'd prevent you from using a Camelbak.

Back