• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Human Factors in Weapons design

a_majoor

Army.ca Legend
Inactive
Reaction score
I notice there seems to be little attention to human factors when weapons are designed. An interesting observation from 'way back. I had the opportunity to try an Austrian Styer AUG rifle in Cyprus, and noticed a number of differences from our C-7:

a. The built in optical sight had no graticule pattern, only an open circle. So long as the target was inside the circle, there was a high probability of a "hit"
b. The safety had "Safe" and "Fire". So long as the soldier squeezed off the shot, the rifle would fire in Semi-automatic mode. Should the soldier pull or jerk the trigger, the automatic sear was depressed, and the weapon would fire a burst.
c. The magazine was translucent, so you could see how many rounds were inside.

For the  conscript soldiers the Austrians had, it probably worked well. Soldiers could quickly pick up the target in the circular graticule, and if surprised by the enemy, the natural instinct to pull the trigger would unleash a burst of fire.

I also remember the FNC1 had all the controls (cocking handle, saftey, magazine release) along the left side, so the shooter's right hand never left the pistol grip/trigger when loading and readying the weapon. Today's weapons families have the shooter changing hands, which I think is a bad thing.

I don't claim all these features are ideal, but the weapons were designed to take advantage of the natural behavior of the soldier. This should be pushed in future programs

The new c-7A2 will be issued with ambitextros(sp)controls to help avoid the same situation as the FN.Also,the m-203 can be configured for lefty or right handed users

The fact that we taught the C7/8 drills wrong is getting missed.

The C7/8 can easily be operated w/o removing the firing hand (if one is righty) 

I am not a big believer in the ambi fire controls we have adopted on the A2 variants - I have done drills left handed (house drills etc) and it is manageable to do - the problems with the advent of the ambi fire control selector is that it digs into then hand of the righty and makes it more difficult for the shooter to move the weapon to fire - I think the lefties can relate to this issue as it happens to them all the time.

The M203 SIGHT can be replaced to the opposite side the M203 bbl release cannto be move side to side and make it very awkward touse left handed - the Enhanced Grenade Launcher Modules from KAC, HK and Diemaco solve this issue - but won't be seen in the conventional army for some time (15 years is my guess with SARPII)

Being experienced with a large number of weapons I think the M16 series is one of the most ergonomic system available...

I think I am one of the biggest critics of the F88 Austeyr family of weapons. After almost 10yrs having it in my hands, I know it well.

The dual trigger on the generic Austrian and Australian versions is unique. It is not used on the NZ version at all. They use a 3 position safety catch.

Trigger presure for R is 6 ft lbs and Auto is 11 ft lbs, but the Aussie version also has a 'single shot lock out' under the trigger, which can be engaged by pulling it down. This gives only engough movement of the trigger to fire on R. Great for intro shoots until the soldier figures it out, and it does have its place.

AUG- too much plastic, and too heavy. Not very robust either. However, to convert from left to right, a new bolt, and changing of the ejection port cover, headspace and you're in! However its a RAEME tasking to convert, and the Q Store or soldier cant do it on his own.

The optics mentioned are similar in the ADF, but the sighting pic donut like you mention, but we use a cross hair covering the whole reticule, not going thru not going thru the centre of the donut. The NZ version has only a cross hair thru the donut and not leading out from it.

The latest AUGs we use have a Picatinny rail, and we purchased many thousand C79 units, which do not hold up well in our climate of heat, sand, dust, salt water, and jungle like conditions.

I guess each design has its limitations, and water ops is one for the AUG. That is another story entirely.

Wes

KevinB said:
The fact that we taught the C7/8 drills wrong is getting missed.

The C7/8 can easily be operated w/o removing the firing hand (if one is righty) 

I am not a big believer in the ambi fire controls we have adopted on the A2 variants - I have done drills left handed (house drills etc) and it is manageable to do - the problems with the advent of the ambi fire control selector is that it digs into then hand of the righty and makes it more difficult for the shooter to move the weapon to fire - I think the lefties can relate to this issue as it happens to them all the time.

The M203 SIGHT can be replaced to the opposite side the M203 bbl release cannto be move side to side and make it very awkward touse left handed - the Enhanced Grenade Launcher Modules from KAC, HK and Diemaco solve this issue - but won't be seen in the conventional army for some time (15 years is my guess with SARPII)

Being experienced with a large number of weapons I think the M16 series is one of the most ergonomic system available...

Out of curiousity, how do you press the forward assists without removing your right hand from the pistol grip?

The forward assist is there to push the bolt home if there is "some" dirt in the chamber. A rap with the heel of the hand is far more likely to generate the horsepower to lock the bolt than a push of the thumb. The AK action (now used in almost every other rifle design in the world) is much more accomodating of dirt and carbon, so devices like the forward assist are unnessesary.

Interesting observation on the dual trigger and optical sights. As a thought, has anyone ever used one of the "projection" sights where the shooter has both eyes open, and the sight provides the illusion of a red dot in your sight picture?

Looking at more exotic weapons, the FN P-90 submachinegun and FN 2000 rifle show interesting ergonomics, but also use some sort of plastic furniture. See http://www.fnherstal.com/html/Index.htm

a_majoor said:
Interesting observation on the dual trigger and optical sights. As a thought, has anyone ever used one of the "projection" sights where the shooter has both eyes open, and the sight provides the illusion of a red dot in your sight picture?

The issue EOTECH 552 is like that. - works very well.

Back