• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

HSGI Wasatch<<<<Has anybody used this plate carrier?

darmil

Inactive
Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody has any experience with this rig?I am looking to get a rig before I deploy and I have this vest in mind any feedback would be great thx.

A few guys in my platoon on 1-06 had them. The consensus was it was a good rig, but not great for using with our armour. Most of them found that they couldn't get it to fit quite right, and not sag a bit without having their plates in the rig itself, as opposed to in their vest. This was a no go with our chain of command, and also when working the gate ( ::) still bitter!) you would need to be wearing just your armour in certain situations, so moving the plates wouldn't really work. Additionally they found the the extra PALS on the bib of the vest were all but useless if you wanted to be able to draw mags from the interior mag pouches of the vest. Some liked it, some didn't, but I would say that there are better options out there. Hope this helps.

Thx Phil that does help. Im just trying to figure out a good enough rig.The other rig im looking at is the HSGI warlord v2 or the TT 2 Piece MAV Complete.

Mike,

If I was you I would go with the MAV. The Warlord is a good rig but it has less capacity, I am not a huge fan of the "combat desk" that it has and it is more expensive. I used a 2 piece MAV on 1-06 as did a bunch of guys in my platoon, and guys in my unit that were in the battle group. It is a good baseline rig that is decently priced. Have you looked at the CP Gear MOFOCR? It is similar to the MAV but you can get it in Cadpat, I like the pouches that come with it a bit better and it is similarly priced. Another option would be the ICE Tactical modular split front rig. Very similar to the MAV, similar pricing, and again offered in Cadpat. If you go with a MAV/ICE Tac rig I would recommend getting the upgraded "x type" harness. Either way I would go with either CP Gear or ICE, keep to Canadian manufacturers, but thats just me! Hope that helps.

Dave's in Vancouver (www.dstactical.com) has the (or at least they <used to have>) the 2 piece TT MAV in both versions of CADPAT.

If you phone them, I know that they will look on the shelves for you.  The website appears to have it in Arid, but not in TW, but they do have it in Olive.

I used the HSGI Warlord V2 on TF 3-06 and liked it quite a bit, but if I had to do it all over again I would get the V3.  For my V2 I put HSGI's mini-EOD pouches in the PAL's webbing on the sides to hold my IFAK on the right and Night fighting gear on the left.  This made the rig quite wide and a bit cumbersome.  The V3 does away with the nalgene bottle holder and just has PAL's in their place, making it a sleeker rig.  If you buy the HSGI camelbak carrier for the rig you can carry 2 three litre bladders in it, which should be enough if you are away from the vehicle for a couple hours.  If your going humping, just un-clip the carrier, stow or strap in your bag and replace the waist belt with the one from the rig (the carrier has its own belt, you take the one off the rig and tuck it away for later.)  It's very easy to overload this vest though, the big front "Combat desk" has a lot of storage space.  If you wish, you can rip out the map holder and such, its velcroed in, and just have a large open pouch instead.  I really liked this rig and I am contemplating purchasing a V3 in TW CADPAT for use in Canada.  I cannot comment on your other choices as I have no experience with them.  Most of the lads on my roto went with some form of Warlord or other HSGI model.  Hope that helps. 

I used the Wasatch on tour; The rig worked great for my job/jobs; I started the tour as a rifleman for about the first month, I was able to carry 10 mags, 4 frags, medical kit, camel back and all the other little things flex-cuffs, MNVG's, GSR kits, ect.
Then on the kick off of Op Medusa our C-6 gunner went on leave and because I has a gunner course and I bugged my Pl Wo to death, I became the platoon C-6 gunner so I had to hand off my extra C7 mags and 2 frags, in place of more 7.62 link and a spare barrel.
A few weeks later there we lost half a section (none killed just a little banged up) and for a week I was an M203 grenadier. So out came the belts of C-6 and in went I think 14 M203 bombs, and I was back to my 10 mags.
At about the half way point in the tour our sections C9 gunner and my good friend Ryan went over to the recce company and I was now the C9 gunner for the rest of the tour. So now I had 550 rounds of C-9, and the shotty with about 20 rnds, because in FIBUA the C9 isn't first in the stack so he becomes the breacher (or at least thats how we did things, and it worked out well).

So basically I did 4 very different jobs with the same vest, thats why I think MOLLE is a great invention for a multirole soldier on operations. It would be nice if things were so perfect that you could come up with the exact fit for thar job, but when people start to get hurt, killed ect. you must have gear that will conform to your various wants and needs. And for me this wasatch did just that. And even after a really hard tour there isn't a tare or rip on the thing.

ANOTHER REVIEW:
http://www.militarymorons.com/equipment/2ndline1.html

Back